Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

WIP First Armor-

• 9 Replies
WIP First Armor-
« on: Mar 10, 2021, 12:53 PM »
Oya Finally starting to like my progress.  Sloppy fit, need to fix my shoulders, new gloves in the works, need chest diamond.  What else will keep me from OM? Comments? Advice?

Original Post: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=139360.msg1954189#msg1954189
-Scrapped lots tryna stay simple

Cattriss Wren

• "Vurel verburyc, draar solus"
Re: WIP First Armor-
« Reply #1 on: Mar 11, 2021, 01:00 PM »
Looking good :P how long did it take you to make?

:sabine:

my armor. http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=203296.0

"Mandalorians don't make threats. We make promises"

"Everyone has a struggle in life. The key is turning that struggle into your weapon."
« Reply #2 on: Mar 11, 2021, 04:22 PM »
Looking good :P how long did it take you to make?

:sabine:

On off for about 4 years. Scratch built a helmet that didn't turn out well so lost about a year on that. Then basically redid every piece of armor at least once so yea. Been a long process.

Cattriss Wren

• "Vurel verburyc, draar solus"
« Reply #3 on: Mar 11, 2021, 04:37 PM »
Wow  :o .  Good for you not giving up :P. Just like a true mandalorian.     

my armor. http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=203296.0

"Mandalorians don't make threats. We make promises"

"Everyone has a struggle in life. The key is turning that struggle into your weapon."
« Reply #4 on: Nov 12, 2022, 06:26 PM »
Trying to finish it up. Added my gloves, antenna, and chest diamond. Let me know what you think and what I still need thank you.
My blaster is the A180 aka Jyn Erso's blaster

Vercopaanir

• Fix'em or Finish'em
  • Awards Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Award for 50 official invasions. Medic Brigade Member Special Operations Brigade Member Special Weapons
« Reply #5 on: Nov 20, 2022, 11:51 AM »
Have you found your local clan and Ruus'alor Sol'cy?  They are going to be your best local source of answers for your questions.

Its a solid and unique take on a Mando while not losing the correct aesthetic.  The cummerbund however doesn't match the era of the armor you're wearing.  Cummerbunds are only allowed in Post-Imp as that is the only era we have seen them in so far.   The ab plate cannot be under any of your waist items once your kitted up and the belt seems to get lost in the front, not staying in place. 

You've got some great dirt wreathing on those plates but the spacing is not quite there, you're close but there's a little too much space around the chest diamond.  Remember no more then 1/2" from the CRLs.  Your backplate also appears to be slightly askew which could be a result of your suspender rig pulling it off.  I'd also recommend adding to the nylon padding portions of the suspender rig as right now it looks like unaltered earth gear.  Maybe a few loops for shells?  Or perhaps some electronic looking greeblies so it looks like a communication array?  Lots of options to make that a bit more in-universe and kick your kit into the next level of awesome.

In terms of weathering you're a bit inconsistent.  The plates look great but the softs are all so clean.  The kama is even shiny!  Remember you're entire kit needs to have the same level of wreathing across it.  For someone looking at you they only get a snap shot in time.  You just got done doing maintenance on your ship or finished a hunt.  No time to get to the sonic to clean your softs yet, make'em dirty.   ;)  There's also a bit of extra fabric in the pants.  You can really see it because of the thigh holster pulling it in on the one leg.  Gonna want to tailor those pants in a bit so that you don't get the funny bunching and a nicer overall look.

The new gloves match much better!  But again clean while the hand plates are dirty.  I know black is super hard to see weathering on black softs so I suggest some lighter browns, greys and tans to help bring it out.

Oya on the attempt at building your own helmet.  Not an easy task and sorry to hear it didn't work out as planned.  This is a nice bucket too!  There does look like there maybe a bit of a gap on the back of the ear caps?  Might want to take a closer look at that bit.  It also looks a bit big on you.  Remember that you helmet can't be wider then roughly half your shoulder width or you start to get the dreaded bobble head look.  Or would it be funko pop these days?  Usually just tweaking the angle the shoulder plates are sitting at is enough to make it look right.

You're getting close!  Keep up the good work and get tied into your clan and RS if you haven't already and they can help you make those final steps from UM to OM and make you a Movie worthy Mando!  :porg2:

I hope this helps!  Looking forward to seeing you make more progress forward!

Ursa Wren WIP
WIP Armor
WIP Helmet
WIP Weapons [url=https://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=

Karl Dha'Werda

• MMCC Karl & Rex Dha'Werda &RL/TDE Karl Darklighter
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Donated four quarters of 2023. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #6 on: Nov 21, 2022, 07:51 AM »
Echoing Vercopaanir.  The soft parts look too clean for the rest of the kit.  Your waist sash and kama specifically.  You'll want those darker like your flak vest and similarly weathered to what your helmet cheeks look like.  Great looking kit for your first go around, a whole lot better than when I made my first attempt in 2015.

Fair warning I like to take pictures and I've written a novel, so be prepared for both.
Karl Dha'Werda Facebook
Oyu'baat Clan
OM Troops: 85
Mandalorian WIP
Late Crusader kit
B.E.A.R.D.S#137|Mando Rider#038|ALUMINATI#036 FMM|MLCS#026|Oribru Akaata#54|MVS#100

Tenaz

• The Serax Legacy
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a Airmobile brigade member
« Reply #7 on: Nov 22, 2022, 12:11 AM »
Hey vod! Happy to see you got these pictures loaded up to your WIP.  We spoke off the forums, but for clarity, I'm the Ruus'alor Sol'yc for Falco Clan. Would love to see you get a WIP going over on the clan's page to help get you to OM. You can find that HERE.

You've done a great job getting to this point, especially form where you had started out with the previous version. The fixes that Vercopaanir laid out for you is a great list, and after you have gone through it, I would be happy to  talk through it with you if that would be helpful.

Looking forward to the continued progress from you!

Happy building!

« Reply #8 on: Dec 06, 2022, 09:05 PM »
Alright well this is a solid list there. Thank you for all the help and instructions. Some simple fixes in here will be working on it in the months to come.

Aster Veris

• "Monarch of mud"
  • Awards EnviroOps Beastmaster Brigade Member
« Reply #9 on: Dec 07, 2022, 12:35 PM »
Nice job getting your kit started! Love the colors and you have a great starting point.
Vercopaanir gave a really detailed overview of your kit so I won't point anything out. Best of luck!

OM #2630 | BM #394 | they/them | mav oya'la clan |IG: @ plant.alorian | Aster WIP

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!