Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Help with sizing for 3D print

• 6 Replies
Help with sizing for 3D print
« on: Feb 17, 2021, 05:33 AM »
Hello!

I'm going to be using an Ender 3 printer to make my base Mandalorian helmet based on the rounded cheek bucket as downloaded from this forum, but I'm not sure how to find the right size, and I don't want it to become too big or too small. My question is, how do you go about finding the right size for when you'll print the helmet? I have not 3D printed in a couple years at this point and I'm not very experienced to begin with.
Thanks in advance!

Kind regards,
Shore

Re: Help with sizing for 3D print
« Reply #1 on: Mar 04, 2021, 11:34 PM »
Hello, unfortunately I don't have an answer for you, as I have the same issue, so I bookmarked this thread until we both have an answer.

I plan to 3D-print the square-cheek bucket that can be found on this website, but I think my head is bigger than the default size (As I encounter the same issue when I'm casually wearing a hat) 

Maybe there is a scaleboard somewhere, about the ratio head-shape/helmet scale, but if there is any, I haven't found it yet.
What might be useful is to know for which size of head is the default size, so we could scale the printing according to our  head.

I am anyway planning to print default-size helmet and a smaller version (kind of Pop figurine size), because I want to test a few paint job

Hope we'll find what we're looking for   :cookie:   

Joshwright

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #2 on: Mar 08, 2021, 09:38 PM »
Normally the helmet should be half the size of the width of your shoulders. My shoulders are 470mm, so the helmet is roughly 235mm. You can scale it in Cura or Simplify3d. I first did a uniform scale to get the width correct, then it shows the new percentage that it's printing at. Then all the accessories I scale to that same percentage. Hope that helps.

« Reply #3 on: Mar 09, 2021, 05:04 AM »
Thank you very much for the tip !

Celtkhan

• Want some soup?
« Reply #4 on: Mar 09, 2021, 08:19 PM »
Keep in mind that the recommended helmet width is 1)a general guideline and 2)based on your armored shoulder width, not your base measurements. Thereís quite a bit of wiggle room there.

Joshwright

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #5 on: Mar 13, 2021, 01:56 AM »
This measurement, in my suggestion, doesn't account for the ear caps. Most helmet files print without the ear caps which can help add more detail to the print. Adding the ear caps gets you closer to the "armored shoulder width. I also used an NME props medium Mercenary helmet and their Sabine helmet to use that scale when printing a male of female helmet.

Bowfanny

• When in doubt, be kind.
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #6 on: Mar 20, 2021, 03:37 AM »
Im not going to touch on what the others mentioned as they basically have that covered. But if you import the whole helmet into 3d builder(free from Microsoft on windows 10) thereís a measure tool that you can use when scaling so that you can make sure itís the size necessary to fit your head.  Once the whole thing is scaled to the right side you can find the measurements for width or height and change the scale in Cura which should give you the scale factor you can change the cut parts to in order to print the helmet for your size. Or just use 3d builder to cut the scaled helmet across the helmet however you want as you can rotate your cutting axis.

It is not who you are but the service you do for others that defines you.
QMU#084

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!