Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Beginning my journey!

• 5 Replies
Beginning my journey!
« on: Jan 25, 2022, 01:40 PM »
So I have decided to take the plunge and begin constructing my own suit, and possibly others. Here are the plans followed by the questions I have regarding a few tips.
I would love to plan on doing at least 3 suits. 2 canon suits (which will be more time consuming for perfection) and 1 custom suit. However, I run into the current issue: supplies.

The supplies I'm having trouble finding is the Sintra. It's very unfamiliar to me so I don't know what exactly to look for etc.

-What is its more generic name? (I.e. Q-tip is the brand, not the actual item itself.)
-Where is a good place to source it? (Hardware store, department store, online?)
-Would it be more cost effective to construct it all myself, or would it be better to purchase the armor pieces already made?

Thank you for any and all responses!

Arkham

• Awards Award for 50 official invasions. 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Legends of Mandalore Brigade Award for 10 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances
Re: Beginning my journey!
« Reply #1 on: Jan 25, 2022, 02:41 PM »
-What is its more generic name? (I.e. Q-tip is the brand, not the actual item itself.)

Expanded PVC board. Sintra, Foamex, Celtec are all just different versions and names of the same thing.

-Where is a good place to source it? (Hardware store, department store, online?)

Depends on the thickness you are looking for. Most armor is built from 3mm or 6mm Sintra. You can find 2'x4' 6mm sheets at most Home Depot stores for around $15 (last time I checked). You can also get 3mm from sign shops, plastic supplies, and even Amazon.

-Would it be more cost effective to construct it all myself, or would it be better to purchase the armor pieces already made?

Cost effective is your call. You can probably get a whole set of armor out of a couple of sheets from HD, so about $30. If you're not doing a back plate, probably out of one sheet ($15). The rest is all elbow grease.

Keep in mind, even if you buy sintra armor online, your still going to have to shape and sand it. So you really aren't doing all that much less than you would building it from scratch.

Arkham's WIP

Tra'cor Clan // G.O.M.O.L # 032 // M.V.S #68 // O.O.P.S.! #52 // L.O.B #49
« Reply #2 on: Jan 25, 2022, 03:38 PM »
Interesting! Thanks for the info. Time to find some supplies and hopefully get started soon!

Celtkhan

• Want some soup?
« Reply #3 on: Jan 25, 2022, 11:21 PM »
My advice is not to spin your wheels trying to do too much. Start on one kit and focus on just that kit; it can take years to finish just one. Trying to do three will just burn you out. I’d start with the custom because the canon kit CRLs are extremely exacting, and it has to be perfe t.

Tramp Graphics

• Illustrator
« Reply #4 on: Jan 26, 2022, 02:13 AM »
I agree with Celtkhan. Start with a custom kit first before you even consider building a Canon kit, much less two. As for your plate material, and whether to fabricate the plates yourself or buy prefabricated plates, that’s up to you, your budget, and skill level. All of my plates are vacuum formed ABS plastic I bought from a vendor. The only piece I fabricated myself was my codpiece, which was hand shaped from ABS. Others 3D print their kits, though that requires a lot of sanding and filling to get rid of print lines. Some people even forge their plates from either sheet aluminum or sheet steel. The choice is up to you.

« Reply #5 on: Jan 26, 2022, 10:00 AM »
Thank you for the insight. I planned on only making one at a time and learning the process, then applying what I learn to future builds.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!