Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Vibro-blade Bayonets and a Bo Staff

• 1 Replies

D'shon Lorra

• Through Pain We Learn
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions.
Vibro-blade Bayonets and a Bo Staff
« on: Apr 02, 2021, 09:39 PM »
I am going for low-tech weapons: a stick and two knives. More technically, a bo staff and a pair of bayonets as vibro-blades.

The staff is custom from a crafter on Etsy, BeezleGear:

And  I have started assembly of my first Sintra bayonet:
a. Patterns and pieces

b. Hilt assembled

c. Specific question: As a bayonet, it should have a ring for attachment to a rifle barrel as a sort of guard on the hilt, but do you think I should add it or leave it off?

And it occurred to me to ask: are bayonets too real-life-military-specific to use as the pattern for vibro-blades in costume?

~☆~ Lorra

-:- Cabur Akaata 218 -:- N.O.S. 037 -:- M.V.S. 116 -:- Grey Brigade 20 -:- Clan Arqet -:- OM 2678 -:-

Adol Aaray Mhi Hibira

D'shon Lorra

• Through Pain We Learn
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions.
Re: Vibro-blade Bayonets and a Bo Staff
« Reply #1 on: Aug 12, 2021, 08:41 PM »
Partial cross-post from my full WIP thread. Specific question at the end.
-:-:-:-:-
I have been busy on the bayonets. After giving up trying to make their rifle-attachment lugs identical by hand, it occurred to me that I could use these saved bits to at least give them the same inner diameter and overall look:

These are the little plastic protectors that come with this style of shelf: https://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-Black-5-Tier-Steel-Wire-Shelving-Unit-36-in-W-x-72-in-H-x-16-in-D-21656PS-1/203846576. I have bought several different varieties over the years and usually save these little plastic rings. Now, I know why.  ;D
I was going to make sintra scabbards for them, but found my patience for it was lacking. The bag of leather scraps I bought at the craft store had plenty to make sheaths, but it was thin, so I split the difference and put the sheaths over the rough scabbard forms I had started.

Candle wax on embroidery floss worked fine for sewing this thin leather.
They'll ride in my spats just fine.

Then, I got the bright idea to rubber coat the bayonets entirely.

And to wrap their hilts in paracord. One red, to match the quarterstaff, and one coyote to match my honor braid.

I am very pleased with them so far.

When I rubber coated them, my original plan was to go back after and file down the blade edges and make them shiny with rub-n-buff, here:

But before I do that, I must ask: is that too realistic? Would it better for trooping if I left them obviously black and not edged?

~☆~ Lorra

-:- Cabur Akaata 218 -:- N.O.S. 037 -:- M.V.S. 116 -:- Grey Brigade 20 -:- Clan Arqet -:- OM 2678 -:-

Adol Aaray Mhi Hibira

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!