Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Falke's Live action Bo Katan

• 23 Replies

Falke

• Aliit ori'shya tal'din
Re: Falke's Live action Bo Katan
« Reply #15 on: Jun 09, 2021, 08:22 AM »
I did the patches on my arms before my last post here. So I will do the tutorial with other patches as example. Don't worry, there are still many patches left that I can use as an example.

But for now I will show you the progress I made with the arm details. I started with the ground patches:

And added the horizontal lines:

To get a better understanding of the criss cross pattern on the ellbow, I drew a small sketch of it. It has fewer lines than I thought at first:

I used some chalk to draw the pattern on the arm:

Finally I was able to sew on the lines for this pattern:

The chalk will be easy to remove with some water.

Now, I only need to add the rectangular patch before I can attach the arms to the Flightsuit top. :D

Today I was able to paint the first shoulder plate silver :)

All the other plates still need some sanding before I can start painting.

Aneira Velca'rusc

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances 40+ hrs of charity work Family events Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #16 on: Jun 09, 2021, 01:49 PM »
That is so freaking smoooooth  :) love it
Stitching looks A+ as Well  :like:

Arco'thyel Wyshla

• Your resident crazy cat mando
« Reply #17 on: Jun 11, 2021, 12:38 AM »
Those stitching details are looking good!

What paint did you use on the shoulder plate? It's gorgeous!

Arco's armor concept thread: Come help me plan things out!

"Visit Mandalore before Mandalore visits you. Take home some souvenirs—a slab of uj cake and a smack in the mouth." ―Baltan Carid

"Don’t take this the wrong way you guys, but uh, Mandalorians are crazy." ―Ezra Bridger

Falke

• Aliit ori'shya tal'din
« Reply #18 on: Jun 11, 2021, 03:37 AM »
The silver is Liquid chrome from Benton.

I'm glad that my workflow of smoothing the print lines works so well :)

Ally93

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #19 on: Jun 11, 2021, 10:25 PM »
In love with all this hard work your doing. Those stitch lines do look amazing. Your bo-katan will be rocking

Verd ori'shya beskar'gam - A warrior is more than his armor

Falke

• Aliit ori'shya tal'din
« Reply #20 on: Jun 13, 2021, 03:40 PM »
I have some good news, I finished the step by step guide of the patches!  :D

My example is the recangular patch on the arm:

Please excuse the bad quality of some of the pictures. I mostly sew late in the evenings when it is dark outside. So the lightning is suboptimal.

Every patch starts with the creration of the pattern. I usually make a sketch with some chalk on the piece I'm working on to get a better understanding of the placement and dimensions.

When cutting the fabric for the patch it is important to leave some excess fabric around the egdes:

Afterwards I finish the edges of the patch:

Now it's time to sew the patch on the piece:

So far I have used some normal black thread. I won't remove this stitching as the black thread is barely visible after adding the decorative stitching with the thicker thread.

I usually start with the stitching that is closest to the edges.

No I work my way from the edges to the middle, stitching by stitching, At the start I adjust the gap betweent he presser foot and the previous stitching, so that the gap between the two stitchings is correct. While sewing I try to keep the gap between the presser foot and the previous stitching as consistent as possible.

After each turn I controll the gap again.

Sometimes it's necessary to add some chalk-markings to show where the stitching is supposed to be. I use those markings in addition to the gap between the presser foot and the previous stitching.

Now the complicated part of the decorative stitching is done.

But now comes the tedious part of finishing all the loose ends by hand. Going forward and backwards at the end of each stitching would look awful with the thicker thread, so I need to take care of each end by hand. I use a needle to pull the loose end to the backside.

When a line is supposed to end while meeting another line, I end with the last stitch that doesn't cross the line. Then I make an additional stitch by hand to ensure that the two lines meet perfectly.

On the inside I make a knot with the two threads that were used to make the stitching.

After cutting all the excess threads the inside looks like this.

And here is the finished patch.

I hope this guide is helpfull. I'm currently working on attaching the sleeves to the flightsuit.

Bel Tay'haai

• M.A. #081
« Reply #21 on: Jun 15, 2021, 05:55 PM »
Gorgeous! I can't wait to see the rest of your work!

Arco'thyel Wyshla

• Your resident crazy cat mando
« Reply #22 on: Jun 16, 2021, 02:23 PM »
Thank you so much, this is tremendously useful! Especially the explanations about the detail stitching -- I was wondering how you keep the threads from unraveling without backstitching.

Keep up the good work! And feel free to keep sharing any and all pictures. :D

Arco's armor concept thread: Come help me plan things out!

"Visit Mandalore before Mandalore visits you. Take home some souvenirs—a slab of uj cake and a smack in the mouth." ―Baltan Carid

"Don’t take this the wrong way you guys, but uh, Mandalorians are crazy." ―Ezra Bridger
« Reply #23 on: Jun 17, 2021, 09:02 PM »
This is all looking so amazing! I'm skipping a few of the inside sleeve seams where the added patch seems to be, skipping the added patches on the back of the undershirt that kinda looks like a yolk, and trying to decide if I should add the topstitching on the bottom of the shirt. Seeing yours looks great tho so I love to see it all!

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!