Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Rhue's First WIP (pic heavy)

• 62 Replies

Cattriss Wren

• "Vurel narir'shekemir, draar solus"
Re: Rhue's First WIP (pic heavy)
« Reply #45 on: Jul 21, 2021, 07:59 AM »
You can do it!! :porg2:

my armor. http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=203296.0

"Mandalorians don't make threats. We make promises"

"Everyone has a struggle in life. The key is turning that struggle into your weapon."

Rhue_Shofytt

• Diet Sprite
« Reply #46 on: Jul 21, 2021, 04:17 PM »
OK as promised, my fabric is dry and here are the results! I'm quite pleased with the way it turned out, even if it did turn my dryer slightly blue  :laugh: 

Before:

And after, compared to the same pair of jeans. The color difference isn't as dramatic in person as it looks in this photo, I think the lighting in my room is just bad  :P

It's hard to see at this distance but there's a little bit of color variation from the polyester threads that gives the fabric a lot more visual interest than if it was just one solid color.

Also, if anyone is planning on using Rit Dye for any of their soft parts I'd HIGHLY recommend also picking up a bottle of their Dye Fixative, it helps the fabric retain a lot more of the dye and prevents it from just washing out.

Next Steps:
-Check the flightsuit mockup to make sure I'm 100% happy with the fit
-Cut out and sew flightsuit pieces together
-Get thumbs up from App Team about chest plate design (I'm still waiting on an answer from them, hopefully my question didn't get lost)
-Start prepping helmet for first layer of Bondo

Lots of exciting things happening soon!  :porg2:

« Last Edit: Aug 17, 2021, 11:32 PM by Rhue_Shofytt » Logged
Per aspera, ad astra

First WIP

evening.echiveria

• CEO of socks
« Reply #47 on: Jul 21, 2021, 05:25 PM »
Cloth looks great! And I don't know why the app team wouldn't approve your chest design, it's super similar to the live action bo katan/nite owl armor and definitely matches the post-imp aesthetic. Good luck!

they/them | mav oya'la clan | Aster WIP
« Reply #48 on: Jul 23, 2021, 05:59 PM »
Thanks Vercopaanir, I'll check our your WIP and see what you did  ;D

I don't have any updates on my kit, but yesterday I got to go to Galaxy's Edge for the first time  :o  I quite literally have no words to describe how amazing it was... I don't want to spoil it for anyone who hasn't been able to go yet and wants to see it for the first time in person, but here's the link to some of the photos I took  :D I felt like such a nerd taking close-up pictures of like...the ride queue railings and the trash cans but it actually gave me a good idea of what kinds of weathering I like, so I called it "research" and let my family laugh at me  :laugh:

I love Galaxy's Edge! Went pretty often from oct 2019 to march 2020 before the pandemic hit. You're right it was extremely "educational" for how live action props should look. Did you happen to do the rise of the resistance? Super unreal.

Considering how last time I saw you, meticulously building that helmet, it looks like you're moving along really nicely! Did I see in here somewhere that you got your sintra? Let me know if you need help or anything at the next armor party. Missed ya at the last one on 07/17.

Cattriss Wren

« Reply #49 on: Jul 23, 2021, 06:23 PM »
Great job dying the fabric!!! :like:

"Everyone has a struggle in life. The key is turning that struggle into your weapon."

Rhue_Shofytt

• Diet Sprite
« Reply #50 on: Jul 23, 2021, 06:55 PM »

I love Galaxy's Edge! Went pretty often from oct 2019 to march 2020 before the pandemic hit. You're right it was extremely "educational" for how live action props should look. Did you happen to do the rise of the resistance? Super unreal.

Considering how last time I saw you, meticulously building that helmet, it looks like you're moving along really nicely! Did I see in here somewhere that you got your sintra? Let me know if you need help or anything at the next armor party. Missed ya at the last one on 07/17.

We tried!! We were there for just one day so we only had 2 chances to get into the virtual queue, but the spots filled up in quite literally five seconds both times. Maybe next time  :-[

And thank you!! I did get some 6mm Sintra but I could use a little bit of 3mm if you're willing to donate some at the next AP. My partner was in town on the 17th (hence the Disneyland trip) but I'm definitely going to the next one!

Great job dying the fabric!!! :like:

Thanks! I'm excited to be done with soft parts 
and move on to something else :laugh:

------

Just made a few little modifications to my flightsuit mockup and wanted to get a few eyes on it. Does this look tailored enough? I have a pretty good range of motion in it, and that's without taking the stretch fabric into consideration.

Please ignore my RBF, I never know what to do with my face when I'm taking mirror progress pics  :laugh:

« Last Edit: Jul 23, 2021, 09:56 PM by Rhue_Shofytt » Logged
Per aspera, ad astra

First WIP
« Reply #51 on: Jul 25, 2021, 12:52 AM »
We tried!! We were there for just one day so we only had 2 chances to get into the virtual queue, but the spots filled up in quite literally five seconds both times. Maybe next time  :-[

And thank you!! I did get some 6mm Sintra but I could use a little bit of 3mm if you're willing to donate some at the next AP. My partner was in town on the 17th (hence the Disneyland trip) but I'm definitely going to the next one!

Yea I was furiously refreshing at the park.  We were one of the last groups of the queue to make it that day.
I have plenty to donate. let me know if you need help cutting out the armor.

Cattriss Wren

« Reply #52 on: Jul 25, 2021, 07:53 AM »
Flight suit is looking good!! :like:

Vercopaanir

• Fix'em or Finish'em
  • Awards Special Operations Brigade Member Medic Brigade Member
« Reply #53 on: Jul 25, 2021, 04:52 PM »
I personally think the fit looks good on your flight suit.   Nothing jumps out at me as being too baggy from that photo.   :like:

Don't cry because it is over, smile because it happened. -Dr. Seuss

Ursa Wren WIP
WIP Armor
WIP Helmet
WIP Weapons
Uur Shaadlan Facebook

Rhue_Shofytt

• Diet Sprite
« Reply #54 on: Jul 26, 2021, 09:00 PM »
I personally think the fit looks good on your flight suit.   Nothing jumps out at me as being too baggy from that photo.   :like:

Flight suit is looking good!! :like:

Awesome, thank you both!  :D

-----

I got my earcaps today! I stuck them on with tape just to grab a pic. It's honestly amazing how much that one addition makes it look more like a helmet than a cardboard pill  :laugh:  I knew that the vertical dimensions of the earcaps were shorter than the space I had to fill, so I'm going to split the lower portion and fill the gap with bondo once they're attached.

I'm at the point where there's not much left to do besides start bondo-ing to the helmet. The whole thing has gotten at least a coat or two of resin to seal the cardboard, I just need to take the plunge and do it haha  :laugh:

Per aspera, ad astra

First WIP

Cattriss Wren

« Reply #55 on: Jul 26, 2021, 09:11 PM »
Your helmet is awesome!! It is really cool to see someone who is making there own helmet two!! ;D

Rhue_Shofytt

• Diet Sprite
« Reply #56 on: Aug 17, 2021, 11:23 PM »
Your helmet is awesome!! It is really cool to see someone who is making there own helmet two!! ;D

Thanks! It's been really fun having 100% creative control over the helmet but I might just buy a resin cast for kit #2 now that I've unlocked the "Build a Bucket from Scratch" achievement  :P

-----

*LARGE INFO DUMP INCOMING*

I have so many updates!!! I'm not dead LOL, I started my new job last week and it's been sucking up a lot of my energy and time. However, I have been making steady progress on a lot of stuff here and there.

For my flight suit, the main torso portion is done now, but I still have a lot of detail stitching to do on the sleeves before they're ready to get inserted into the arm holes.

The picture got kind of blown out but this is what the front of the suit looked like before I attached the back side. The quilted patches over the knees are both for visual interest as well as to add a little bit of padding to my knees. There will also be matching black quilting on the edges of my double sleeves as well as some of the brown accent topstitch thread.

Speaking of stitching, I'm really regretting only picking up all-purpose thread for the topstitching on my vest, because I caved and bought the topstitching thread for my flight suit and it looks so good. I think after I get OM I'll remake the vest and add the fancy topstitching, because it really adds another level of visual and tactile depth.

I also acquired a tube of spot putty for my helmet and gave it a couple coats before hitting it with coat #1 of primer. It's still looking rough and the primer did crack towards the bottom of one of the mandibles but it was really helpful for giving me an idea of what areas still need to be smoothed out/built up. It's finally starting to look like an actual helmet  :laugh:

Once I get the flight suit 100% finished I can focus entirely on the helmet and perfecting my templates, because the App Team finally got back to me and my chest design is good to go for Post-Imp!  :D  My soft deadline is to have my helmet finished and ready for painting by this time next month. I know lots of people like painting their helmets first, but I really want to paint all the pieces simultaneously and do one color on everything before moving to the next color.

I'm going to use Montana Cans for this kit. I've heard they can be a little finnicky, but I'm willing to learn how to use them well since they have an incredible color range. But that also means I could use some opinions on which "red" shade I should go with. I don't want a true red, since so much of the rest of my armor is white I don't want to look too medic-y.

The options I'm considering are below. I know they're all pretty similar, and I think I like Brick (G3050) the best but I'm not sure  ???

Then for the rest of my colors I have the following:

I'm going with the Titanium shade from the Metallic Effect line; I'm hoping it will be a nice middle ground between the Silver and Graphite colors. I also decided to use a dark but non-black color directly over top of the metallic but underneath the white, on the advice of my art major sister. The idea is it will pull in some of the warmer tones from my vest and flight suit while still providing good contrast between the other two colors.

*bonus content*

Here's a few photos of what I'm wanting to do with my verp for the Urban Assault brigade rifle requirement. These aren't exact images, more of a general ~vibe~. Essentially just the classic verp silhouette but a little slimmer and with a little more hi-tech feel to it.

Thanks to anyone who actually read through all of this!!

Per aspera, ad astra

First WIP

Tramp Graphics

• Illustrator
« Reply #57 on: Aug 18, 2021, 03:33 AM »
Personally, I like the look of the Brick (G3050) out of all of them.

MercOfSteel

• This is the way.
  • Awards 40% increase or more
« Reply #58 on: Aug 18, 2021, 05:34 PM »
Your soft parts look like they're coming along great. The detail on the flak vest is fantastic. Keep up the great work!

Vercopaanir

• Fix'em or Finish'em
  • Awards Special Operations Brigade Member Medic Brigade Member
« Reply #59 on: Aug 19, 2021, 07:39 AM »
Flightsuit is coming along nicely!  Top stitching, while time consuming, really does add a nice touch.

As far as color goes, I'm biased.  I am a medic mando who did a white, grey and red kit.  I personally do favor the brick (it's the most red of the lot) but the rust also had a nice feel to it especially if your going urban assault.

The bucket is coming along nicely!   :porg2:  Few more layers of filler and primer and you should have it!

I am also liking that verp from bioware.  This will be such an amazing kit when its all done!

Don't cry because it is over, smile because it happened. -Dr. Seuss

Ursa Wren WIP
WIP Armor
WIP Helmet
WIP Weapons
Uur Shaadlan Facebook

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!