Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

[WIP] Arco's Post-Imperial build

• 35 Replies

Arco'thyel Wyshla

• Certified crazy cat mando
Re: [WIP] Arco's Post-Imperial build
« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2022, 05:19 PM »
That’s awesome you had a great time Arco!

For me, it helped by starting with a neck plate, and then moving down my body to make sure everything was spaced correctly. With the visor you can check the forums to see if anyone sells them or for any thread tips. Mine is just a black welding visor so I don’t really have tips on color, but I’ll try my hardest to help.

Thanks for the tips! Spacing isn't as big a concern for PI, but I've found the plates do look different with other plates on, so I'll be test fitting more often.

Nice job making the helmet work!  :jango:

And all of those interactions are gold  :laugh:

Oh yes, the interactions were a blast. :laugh:

So!

I was going to submit the above pictures to the app team so I could get confirmation on my chest plate design, but the link to the app team Q&A form redirects me to the home page for some reason? Anyone know what's up with that?

Well, that delay gives me time to play with shortening the plate. I like the original, but when adding the helmet and the shoulder, it looked too crowded to me -- not very "light infantry". This smaller template may be worth refining further.

In the next few days, I'll work on refining the chest template here, along with starting on the belt in the soft goods thread.

| Hard Goods WIP | Soft Goods WIP | Planning Log |

"Visit Mandalore before Mandalore visits you. Take home some souvenirs—a slab of uj cake and a smack in the mouth." ―Baltan Carid

"Don’t take this the wrong way you guys, but uh, Mandalorians are crazy." ―Ezra Bridger

Aster Veris

• CEO of socks
« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2022, 10:49 PM »
Glad you had a good time at the con!
The link works for me, maybe try again?
With the smaller templates, I like the second picture but the third looks kinda weird tbh, too wide and short. I would figure out your belt system and then make a chest piece which fits accordingly. And also the original chest plate looks good to me, whatever you like!

MMCC #2630 | they/them | mav oya'la clan |IG: @ plant.alorian | Aster WIP

Karson Wren

• Clan Wren - Nayc solus jurkade cuun aliit
« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2022, 07:20 AM »
Yeah, i agree with Aster here.

I love

Clone wars

Rebels

Mandos

Clones

Bossk

Vi and Cardinal

And..... A million other things in star wars!!

Arco'thyel Wyshla

• Certified crazy cat mando
« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2022, 04:51 PM »
Yeah, I'm really not sure what's going on with the link! I've tried it over several days, on different internet browsers, even a VM with a different OS. What's especially weird is that I know the form was working for me a month or so ago. Guess it's not a pressing issue at the moment, since I'm moving the chest plate design back.

Speaking of, thanks for the chest plate input! I'm getting increasingly burnt out with it -- the first design above is looking too bulky to me, especially with other plates and the waist items. Although I like the size of the smaller one, the proportions stray further from Paz's plate than I like, and you two aren't the only ones who've said they prefer the previous design. My next draft will take the smaller one and stretch it vertically an inch or so, then adjust the proportions back towards the reference material (though the proportions will still be skewed for fit, my chest is very different from Paz's!). I'm taking a break from this for the time being.

One key piece of my kit that needs done is a proper belt with pouches, so that's what I've been mocking up lately. But that led to me needing my throwing knife templates, so how's about I start on my kit's first weapon!

Altaïr's the one who made me want a costume with a million throwing knives, so it feels only natural to start with his base and swarz it up:

I took that base, made it more angular, and added a mini iron heart and a CotW mythosaur symbol:

Pretty happy with that! Feels swarzy and customized to myself, but still pays homage to my inspiration in a way that probably only I will notice.

It also inspired me to make my short sword template:

Still not perfectly happy with the end of the hilt, so I'll have to refine it further.

Had a few shopping days, so I stopped by the hardware store for some gauntlets! Or not...

The 4" pvc pipe looked comically oversized to me, and the 3" one wouldn't even fit. Given the $20 price point and how I wasn't happy with the fit, I opted against it.

But look, I found a 50 cent plastic cup at Target that could work!

Or, maybe not. It's a smidge too tight at the top, and the wrist still needs tapered.

It may be worth 3D printing them, but I'm still not up to further printer troubleshooting at the moment, and I'm not sure how well I'll be able to 3D model my vision.

I also thought it would be fun to get a pipe elbow and make a Death Watch shoulder:

...Or not, because boy howdy, is that a different shape than their online images! The 4" size also looks small for a Death Watch shoulder. Maybe a scavenged shoretrooper shoulder?

Well, I did have at least one successful purchase: some flannel fabric for a cape!

Naturally this couldn't be perfect either, since the color is very different from the online image I wanted. Apparently this is what passes for "dark gray" these days? :laugh: Oh well, it still looks nice with the tan, so I guess I'm getting a flashier cape than expected!

As far as build progress goes, I've been looking at belt references to start mocking up my belt design, and I've been practicing edge finishing techniques for pleather. I'm also looking forward to working on the cape. Detailed progress on those will go in the soft goods thread.

| Hard Goods WIP | Soft Goods WIP | Planning Log |

"Visit Mandalore before Mandalore visits you. Take home some souvenirs—a slab of uj cake and a smack in the mouth." ―Baltan Carid

"Don’t take this the wrong way you guys, but uh, Mandalorians are crazy." ―Ezra Bridger

Senra Qiin

• Verd ori'shya beskar'gam
« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2022, 06:24 PM »
 :like: :like: :like:

“Ba'slan shev'la… gar serim.” - Em’ila Neiwyn
(Profile picture by Sketchyitaliana)

AboveAverageGeek

• They/Them
« Reply #35 on: May 22, 2022, 04:29 PM »
ARCO! THIS IS ALL INCREDIBLE! I've been away, finishing up school stuff and working on college transition, so I've missed all of your updates. Your softs are awesome and ugh! I love all that you've done. I'm glad you had fun at the con, the interactions with kids are always my favorite. I wish you all the continuing luck and hope to keep up with your progress better.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!