Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Trampís Mando Kit WIP

• 199 Replies

Venix Arden

• United by the Creed
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad
Re: Trampís Mando Kit WIP
« Reply #120 on: Dec 03, 2021, 11:57 PM »
And I'd just like to swing in and say that you have literally dozens of official members here in your WIP thread taking time and energy to do their best to assist you with your costume per the CRL's and your vision

Your responses to our willingness to help comes across as slightly arrogant and flippant to the individuals in this thread who are trying to help you Sir. We WANT you to be approved. You have obvious passion and skill. We want you to succeed and I truly hope that you see that.

I'm going to respectfully ask that you take all of these member's advice and use that as tools in your toolbox for the future. Please reach out to your local Clan (Falco) and ask for some hands on help with some of the issues that have been brought up.  Thank you

Tramp Graphics

• Illustrator
« Reply #121 on: Dec 04, 2021, 02:38 AM »
And I'd just like to swing in and say that you have literally dozens of official members here in your WIP thread taking time and energy to do their best to assist you with your costume per the CRL's and your vision

Your responses to our willingness to help comes across as slightly arrogant and flippant to the individuals in this thread who are trying to help you Sir. We WANT you to be approved. You have obvious passion and skill. We want you to succeed and I truly hope that you see that.

I'm going to respectfully ask that you take all of these member's advice and use that as tools in your toolbox for the future. Please reach out to your local Clan (Falco) and ask for some hands on help with some of the issues that have been brought up.  Thank you

And I appreciate that, I really do. And Iím not trying to come off as arrogant or flippant. Itís simply that some of the advice being given genuinely doesnít make sense to me when I read the CRLs themselves. Thatís whatís causing my confusion and consternation.  Having those ďpouch styleĒ cargo pockets, and the functional aesthetic of the BDUs, is the very reason why I chose them for my flight suit, especially since the CRLs themselves do allow them without any explicitly required modifications or placement (except for pilots, where they are a requirement and do need to be on the front). These are genuine questions and concerns I have.

Dha Bral suggested to another member, back in 2016, to fill the cargo pockets of his Vertx pants with something, basically to make it clear that they were pockets, and not baggy pant legs (http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=201879.120), and that is certainly an option, at least for the pre app and app pics, when the time comes. Though I would be inclined to put something a little more practical in the right side pocket than foam or cloth padding.  :8):

Iíll be the first to say that the pics I posted in full kit are definitely not up to standard, nor are they even remotely intended as pre-app pics. If anything, I dressed pretty hastily to get ready for trick or treaters, and was put on without any assistance. That is probably a big part of the problem. Think about it. My gun belt isnít even on straight in those pics. The buckle should be centered over my codpiece, but, instead is cocked to one side.  I donít even have the mounts to mount hoses attached to my right vambrace nor to the inside of my back plate above my right shoulder. I also still need a sheath for my Kal dagger and belt mounts for my micro charges. Heck, I might end up having to replace my visor if itís not ďopaqueĒ enough. I have been thinking about getting a Kalevala mirrored visor, but theyíve been incommunicado form the forums since May, so Iím not sure whatís going on with them. So, right now, my primary concern (after the holidays) is getting my helmet up to snuff and getting the hoses mounted.

I would love to have some actual hands on help, but there are no official members, much less officers, in the Buffalo area. They all live on the other side of the state. I think the closest OM might be in Syracuse, over two hours away by car, and I ride a mountain bike.

Tenaz

« Reply #122 on: Dec 04, 2021, 07:35 AM »
Hey Tramp! Youíve gotten a lot of feedback here, from the people that know the CRLs best, and theyíre addressing multiple pieces. I think you are taking the right approach in your last post - starting with the helmet, and getting that squared away first. You can work your way down the kit from there, making sure each piece is compliant as you go. Thereís no rush to get it all done by any particular time!

While Iím not near the Buffalo area, I can certainly lend a virtual hand. Getting live help, even if itís just a call or video call goes a long way in clarifying any miscommunication in the forums lol

Looking forward to seeing this moving forward!

« Last Edit: Dec 04, 2021, 08:04 AM by Tenaz » Logged

ishtob

« Reply #123 on: Dec 04, 2021, 01:29 PM »
Dha Bral suggested to another member, back in 2016, to fill the cargo pockets of his Vertx pants with something, basically to make it clear that they were pockets, and not baggy pant legs (http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=201879.120), and that is certainly an option, at least for the pre app and app pics, when the time comes. Though I would be inclined to put something a little more practical in the right side pocket than foam or cloth padding.  :8):

I have a fabric pouch that is floppy, ended up make a 3 sided rectangle with EVA foam stack to give is structure while keeping the pouch functional for my wallet and phone

as for the cargo pocket. In its current form, it looks almost like a  after thought the way itís partially tucked under the knee armor. If you were a real mando planning your tactical gears, you would never plan to have a pocket to be partially under an armor.

If you can sew or knows someone who can, a boba styled cargo pocket would look great here. I did a quick sketch of what they may look like

« Last Edit: Dec 04, 2021, 02:09 PM by ishtob » Logged

Tramp Graphics

• Illustrator
« Reply #124 on: Dec 04, 2021, 08:24 PM »
I have a fabric pouch that is floppy, ended up make a 3 sided rectangle with EVA foam stack to give is structure while keeping the pouch functional for my wallet and phone

as for the cargo pocket. In its current form, it looks almost like a  after thought the way itís partially tucked under the knee armor. If you were a real mando planning your tactical gears, you would never plan to have a pocket to be partially under an armor.

If you can sew or knows someone who can, a boba styled cargo pocket would look great here. I did a quick sketch of what they may look like

The cargo pockets are a stock part of the pants themselves, not an add-on. They donít really tuck into the knee plates either since the band that secured my knee pads (which the knee plates are attached to) wraps below the knee, not above it, making sure that the knee plates bend with my lower leg. As I said, I will most likely simply put some random items in my right cargo pocket when I take my Pre-App and App pics when the time comes. The goal is to make it clear that those are cargo pockets, not baggy pants.

Tramp Graphics

• Illustrator
« Reply #125 on: Jan 14, 2022, 01:03 PM »
With the holidays over, itís time to get back to the Kit. I have a new visor on order and have finished the spacer between the mandibles of my helmet. Let me know what you think.

Matchstick1021

• Your Daily Splash of Orange
« Reply #126 on: Jan 15, 2022, 02:13 AM »
Looking forward to seeing the new visor! Where'd you get it?

The one thing I'm seeing at the moment that could cause some issues is there's a bit of overspray and bleeding from the gold upper cheek onto the blue on the left hand side. Since the CRLs call out
Paint that has bled under taped off sections must be cleaned up and not left unaddressed
this could cause kickback on your App. I'm pretty sure you're going for a clean kit right? If not this could probably be covered with some weathering, believe me I've got a few places where I did that. :laugh: But having the visor out would give you the perfect opportunity to do some quick touch ups!

Again, super cool paint job with that metallic blue, keep it up!

Sucking at something is the first step towards being sort of good at something.
MMCC#2424
Rancor Clan
Traffic Cone #38

Tramp Graphics

• Illustrator
« Reply #127 on: Jan 15, 2022, 02:51 AM »
I ordered one from Kalevala Visorsí website. Theyíre only taking orders from their site now. I ordered their ďOceanĒ visor 12Ēx12Ē size.

Thanks for pointing out the overspray. And yes, I am going for a clean kit, at the very least a ďwell maintainedĒ Kit, as opposed to a ďweatheredĒ one.

Aster Veris

• CEO of socks
« Reply #128 on: Jan 16, 2022, 11:21 PM »
Visor looks awesome!

MMCC #2630 | they/them | mav oya'la clan |IG: @ plant.alorian | Aster WIP

Tramp Graphics

• Illustrator
« Reply #129 on: Jan 17, 2022, 01:27 AM »
Visor looks awesome!
Thatís still the old visor. The new one hasnít even shipped yet.

Aster Veris

• CEO of socks
« Reply #130 on: Jan 17, 2022, 04:22 PM »
Oh  :laugh: :P no brain today

MMCC #2630 | they/them | mav oya'la clan |IG: @ plant.alorian | Aster WIP

Tramp Graphics

• Illustrator
« Reply #131 on: Jan 17, 2022, 06:14 PM »
Oh  :laugh: :P no brain today

No prob. Whatís new is the completed spacer. I added that bottom ďshelfĒ to it.

Tramp Graphics

• Illustrator
« Reply #132 on: Jan 19, 2022, 04:22 PM »
Fixed the overspray and a couple of other blemishes. I also padded the rangefinder mount where the rangefinder stalk rubs against the helmet.

Tramp Graphics

• Illustrator
« Reply #133 on: Jan 28, 2022, 01:46 PM »
Small update and a question.

My new visor from Kalevala Visors just shipped, and should, hopefully, arrive in a few days, barring any mishaps. Once thatís installed, I think my helmet will be finished.

I finally managed to get the hoses attached to my right vambrace. The top mount didnít have a hole for a hose attachment so I drilled one myself and bought some fittings for attaching the hoses to my armor, one is a 1/4Ē hose splicer I fitted into the upper mount for the flamethrowerĒ.

Now, my question. What do you guys think would be the best way to secure the other end of the hoses to my armor itself? How have youíd guys done it? I currently have 1/4Ē ID x 1/4Ē FIP Adapters attached at the end of each hose. My original plan was to epoxy them together, and then to the inside of my collar plate, but that would leave my right vambrace basically permanently ďattachedĒ to my cuirass by the hoses. Where do you guys attach tthe other ends of your hoses to the rest of your kit and how do you do it?

Vercopaanir

• Fix'em or Finish'em
  • Awards Special Operations Brigade Member Medic Brigade Member
« Reply #134 on: Jan 28, 2022, 02:52 PM »
So I was helping a Fett kit up and he attached his via a buckle in the double sleeve portion of his flight suit.  A key chain ring was run through the end of the hose and a small piece of elastic was attached to the key chain ring.  The elastic was sewn into the buckle and that whole bit was tucked under the sleeve.  The other side of the buckle was sewn to the inside of the sleeve as close to the shoulder seam as possible.  Now, you don't have the double sleeves but you could do a small fabric patch on the outer arm that ends up under the shoulder to hide the attachment and that should look right and still allow you to remove your armor fairly easily.  Just one possibility

Don't cry because it is over, smile because it happened. -Dr. Seuss

Ursa Wren WIP
WIP Armor
WIP Helmet
WIP Weapons Post Imperial Build

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!