Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Trampís Mando Kit WIP

• 21 Replies

Tramp Graphics

• Illustrator
Re: Trampís Mando Kit WIP
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2021, 07:20 PM »
I think the point of the question was that the padding may lift the plates off your chest, resulting in "floating" plates, which, if it were to happen, would mean either ripping out the pads or tightening the chestplates so tightly it would get hard to breathe.

But as long as the plates are shaped with the padding in mind, it shouldn't be an issue, as the pads look fairly thin

No, that wonít be an issue. The pads arenít that thick, only about 3/8Ē and my plates are vacuum formed ABS,  not Syntra.

Hereís a test fit of my armor. None of the plates have been reshaped yet, and some will need some, particularly the sides of the ab plate and fangs of the pectoral plates. The blue tape holding the plates together is layer out pretty much how I plan to lay out the final nylon straps that will secure them permanently together (minus the side straps).

« Last Edit: May 06, 2021, 08:32 PM by Tramp Graphics » Logged

Fenn Beviin

• MMCC #: 2116
  • Awards Mandalorian Protector Brigade Member
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2021, 10:38 PM »
Ooooh wow! Yeah, those plates really hide the padding. That's great.

Like you mentioned just need to heat up the tabs on the chest plates and the sides of the abs and should be good  :like:

Helps you went with Vac formed plates to the padding fits in the gap essentially

"Try not to become a man of success, but a man of value."

Instagram: mythos_fenn_shysa

Mythos Fenn Arms (A Sales Thread): https://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=174182.msg2066382#new

Fenn Shysa WIP: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=80765.0

SEE-5 blaster pistol and misc blasters: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=110659.msg1820500

Tramp Graphics

• Illustrator
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2021, 10:50 PM »
Ooooh wow! Yeah, those plates really hide the padding. That's great.

Like you mentioned just need to heat up the tabs on the chest plates and the sides of the abs and should be good  :like:

Helps you went with Vac formed plates to the padding fits in the gap essentially

Question:  Does the collar look too wide from shoulder to shoulder?

Notre Thiomersal

• Notre Thiomersal
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions 40+ hrs Charity Award for 25 official invasions. 267th Rapid Assault 6 or more Education Points in a single year.
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2021, 02:49 AM »
Hey there, thanks for reaching out for critique! Youíve made some great progress with your build and itís all coming together nicely.
Notes:
1) Something to watch for are baggy sleeves.  They can sometimes appear baggier than they actually are when kitting up, if they arenít fully tucked in/under your gauntlets.
2) Backplate looks solid and not seeing any gaps/floating.

3) Front plates looking good and just need a little heat gun TLC to get them to hug closer to your body.

4) The zipper shouldnít be an issue as you mentioned, as long as itís completely covered in the end. I went the same flak vest route with my kit. I added a thin strip of matching/similar fabric to my flak vest to fully cover the front zipper.

5) Collar plate May need to be trimmed down to align flush with the chest plates.

6) When making the final pass at attaching all the plates to one another remember to keep the spaces uniform with about half inch between the plates.

7) if you wanna add that extra bit of detail, throw on an additional short sleeve over the long sleeve and under the vest. I used a hemmed Dickieís button down for this.

8) Lastly that buckets looking great and keep up the good work!

Tramp Graphics

• Illustrator
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2021, 01:42 AM »
Hey there, thanks for reaching out for critique! Youíve made some great progress with your build and itís all coming together nicely.
Notes:
1) Something to watch for are baggy sleeves.  They can sometimes appear baggier than they actually are when kitting up, if they arenít fully tucked in/under your gauntlets.
2) Backplate looks solid and not seeing any gaps/floating.

3) Front plates looking good and just need a little heat gun TLC to get them to hug closer to your body.

4) The zipper shouldnít be an issue as you mentioned, as long as itís completely covered in the end. I went the same flak vest route with my kit. I added a thin strip of matching/similar fabric to my flak vest to fully cover the front zipper.

5) Collar plate May need to be trimmed down to align flush with the chest plates.

6) When making the final pass at attaching all the plates to one another remember to keep the spaces uniform with about half inch between the plates.

7) if you wanna add that extra bit of detail, throw on an additional short sleeve over the long sleeve and under the vest. I used a hemmed Dickieís button down for this.

8) Lastly that buckets looking great and keep up the good work!

Letís hope that trimming the collar is not necessary, As I mentioned, this is vacuum formed ABS, and the edges for the plates all have a bead around them to give them more depth, as seen in this pic here:

The only way to ďtrimĒ the collar without complete cutting off the bead would be to cut it in half and trim off fractions of an inch from each half and glue them back together.  An easier solution would probably be to simply realign the pectoral plates. Looking at the photo, the spacing between them is a little close compared to this photo:

As far as adding short sleeves over the long sleeves, not happening. I personally donít like that aesthetic, and it doesnít fit with my concept.

Now, on to better news. My blaster just arrived. I ordered a Westar 35 Death Watch Live Action from Deckplate Designs and it just arrived today. I love it. It needs some sanding and filing to clean it up, but itís sooooo pretty.

« Last Edit: May 12, 2021, 02:55 PM by Tramp Graphics » Logged

Tramp Graphics

• Illustrator
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2021, 11:25 PM »
Found the perfect left-handed drop holster for my Westar-35. It fits the blaster like a glove, very snuggly, and secures perfectly to my left thigh. Itís almost as if it were made for this blaster. I got it at a local Army Navy store and was found purely by chance. The salesman didnít even think he had anymore left-handed drop holsters. He just happened to pick it up off the wall at random.

Hereís some pics:

I still have to make the rest of my gun belt, but now I actually can. I definitely donít want to make any significant mods to the holster if I donít have to. About my only minor concern is if repeated drawing of the blaster will cause any paint I apply to wear off.

Let me know what you guys think.

Tramp Graphics

• Illustrator
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2021, 05:20 PM »
Iíve got some more work done on my kit. I finished sanding my blaster, and reshaped my pectoral and ab plates. My original plan for the straps, namely running a single main strap down the center wonít work because of the bead around each plate. As such, Iím going back to the strap layout I used for my EVA prototype.

The lighting in some of the photos make my pants look a different color than the shirt, this is a trick of the light. They are both black cotton Ripstop. Any remaining ďfloatĒ in the pectoral tabs and the ab plates will be fixed by the straps once secured to the plates . And, before anyone asks, yes, that is an errant piece of crumpled tape stuck to my back plate.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!