Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Tramp’s Mando Kit WIP

• 244 Replies

Tramp Graphics

• Illustrator
Re: Tramp’s Mando Kit WIP
« Reply #25 on: Jun 18, 2021, 07:30 PM »
OK 👌 I took some WIP pics of my soft goods, blaster, knees and epaulettes. The epaulettes are not attached, just held in place by my hands in the photos. They’re made from the wide part of a 4” ABS pipe attachment.

As for the knee plates, I’m planning on potentially epoxying them to the industrial knee pads I wore for Halloween, if allowable.

Let me know what you think so far, comments and critiques welcome.

Cattriss Wren

• "Vurel verburyc, draar solus"
« Reply #26 on: Jun 20, 2021, 07:09 AM »
Wow, it is looking very nice!! Knee armor and kama look great!! :like: the those westars!!  Did you 3d print them your self or buy them?

my armor. http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=203296.0

"Mandalorians don't make threats. We make promises"

"Everyone has a struggle in life. The key is turning that struggle into your weapon."

Tramp Graphics

• Illustrator
« Reply #27 on: Jun 20, 2021, 09:22 AM »
Wow, it is looking very nice!! Knee armor and kama look great!! :like: the those westars!!  Did you 3d print them your self or buy them?

Nope. The Westar is from Deckplate Designs, over in the Continuous Sales forum: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=196855.0. It’s his Live Action Death Watch design.

Cattriss Wren

• "Vurel verburyc, draar solus"
« Reply #28 on: Jun 20, 2021, 01:59 PM »
Cool !  ;)

my armor. http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=203296.0

"Mandalorians don't make threats. We make promises"

"Everyone has a struggle in life. The key is turning that struggle into your weapon."

Tramp Graphics

• Illustrator
« Reply #29 on: Jun 25, 2021, 11:52 AM »
Ok, I have a conundrum. I recently ordered a new pair of gloves (mine—a pair of Valken Alphas—are beginning to wear out in the palm from wearing them all winter and spring riding to and from work). I had ordered a pair of Valken V-Tac gloves, but was sent another pair of Alphas instead. I turns out the V-Tacs were discontinued and replaced by the Alphas. While I love the overall look of the Alphas, there is one glaring issue with them— the molded in “valken” embossed on the back of each hand just inside the outer most metacarpal ridge:

How would you all suggest removing that without significantly altering the look of the gloves, and without making them look “battle damaged”, since I’m going for a “clean” kit.

Right now, my options are:

• File the logo down, which could potentially leave a scar.
  • Cover the back of the hand with a plate, which would completely alter the look of the gloves
  • Cover the logo with a strip of Warbla, adding a layer between each of the ridges for consistency.
  • Disguise the logo with greeblies.
  • Some combination of any of the above

Help!

« Last Edit: Jun 25, 2021, 12:04 PM by Tramp Graphics » Logged

Fenn Beviin

• MMCC #: 2116
  • Awards Mandalorian Protector Brigade Member
« Reply #30 on: Jun 25, 2021, 12:33 PM »
I think your best bet would be the warbla idea or to just permanently attach some sintra to that strap as an added armor piece.

"Try not to become a man of success, but a man of value."

Instagram: mythos_fenn_shysa

Mythos Fenn Arms (A Sales Thread): https://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=174182.msg2066382#new

Fenn Shysa WIP: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=80765.0

Blaster Addiction - So many Blasters: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=110659.msg1820500

Tramp Graphics

• Illustrator
« Reply #31 on: Jun 25, 2021, 12:42 PM »
I think your best bet would be the warbla idea or to just permanently attach some sintra to that strap as an added armor piece.
it’s not the strap. The strap is well hidden by my bracers. It’s the armor plate on the back of the hand itself that’s the issue. Look just to the inside of the pinky ridge of the hand plate. There’s an embossed Valken logo molded directly into the plastic on both gloves that is raised about 1/16”. That’s the one I’m having trouble with because I don’t want to ruin the gloves or leave a “scar”.

Rhue_Shofytt

• Diet Sprite
« Reply #32 on: Jun 25, 2021, 04:04 PM »
You can still use worbla or sintra to make a small plate that fits over the logo, regardless of where it's located on the glove...

Per aspera, ad astra

First WIP

Vercopaanir

• Fix'em or Finish'em
  • Awards Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Award for 50 official invasions. Medic Brigade Member Special Operations Brigade Member Special Weapons
« Reply #33 on: Jun 26, 2021, 05:37 PM »
There’s an embossed Valken logo molded directly into the plastic on both gloves that is raised about 1/16”. That’s the one I’m having trouble with because I don’t want to ruin the gloves or leave a “scar”.

I think your worbla or Sintra strips would be the best plan.  Sanding will leave a scar.  A plate would completely change the look and I like them as is.  It would also be very hard to hide the letters with greeblies, not impossible just hard. 

But three narrow strips between the ridges would, I think, add to the look without changing the overall feel of them.  I would angle the tops of the two outer ones toward the middle one and make the middle one a point.  Just an Idea 

Ursa Wren WIP
WIP Armor
WIP Helmet
WIP Weapons [url=https://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=

Tramp Graphics

• Illustrator
« Reply #34 on: Jul 03, 2021, 01:02 AM »
After some trial and error, I came up with some prop thermal charges, which will be attached to my belt. I cast them out of UV resin, each made of two pieces, and with a magnet to attach them to my belt.

Tramp Graphics

• Illustrator
« Reply #35 on: Jul 17, 2021, 11:48 AM »
Completed the mods to my gloves (I ended up taking the Dremmel to them), and finished painting my thermal charges. I also made a slight modification to my belts, namely to the buckles to spruce them up a bit.

Aster Veris

• "Monarch of mud"
  • Awards EnviroOps Beastmaster Brigade Member
« Reply #36 on: Jul 17, 2021, 07:29 PM »
Looks great! Glad the gloves worked out

OM #2630 | BM #394 | they/them | mav oya'la clan |IG: @ plant.alorian | Aster WIP

Kurshi BeJahaal

• I don't roll on Shabbos. ב"ה
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #37 on: Jul 19, 2021, 12:25 AM »
I thought I was following this build already.

Crap. I guess I wasn't!

It looks like the glove solution worked well Tramp! From the pictures it's hard to see any major damage. It looks like it turned out pretty clean!

MMCC #1484¦¦64 Career Invasions¦¦Rancor Clan
Helmet Scratch Build||Beskar||Privateer||Protector

Tramp Graphics

• Illustrator
« Reply #38 on: Jul 19, 2021, 12:57 AM »
I thought I was following this build already.

Crap. I guess I wasn't!

It looks like the glove solution worked well Tramp! From the pictures it's hard to see any major damage. It looks like it turned out pretty clean!

Thankfully, nope, no major damage; nothing that doesn’t look like the results of metalworking.  Any critique of the rest of the build WIP so far?

Tramp Graphics

• Illustrator
« Reply #39 on: Jul 22, 2021, 01:56 AM »
I got some more work done on my cuirass. After doing some reshaping of the shoulders of my collar plate, back plate, and epaulettes, I fused the epaulettes first to the shoulder of the back plate with some Plastruct plastic welder (a liquid plastic welder model glue), then fused the collar plate.

« Last Edit: Jul 22, 2021, 01:59 AM by Tramp Graphics » Logged

Firefly42

• Kar'a Kryze
  • Awards Award for 75 official invasions. Award for 50 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances 15+ invasions in 2018 Celebration Chicago
« Reply #40 on: Jul 22, 2021, 10:55 AM »
Your looking good so far. Couple big things that stick out that the app teams may gig you for is you wanna tailor your arms and legs a tad. But still wanna move. And any parachute buckle would need to be painted to look metal. I would also cover the logo on the wrist of your glove even if it is hidden. You are doing a great job!

MMCC# 1676

Kurshi BeJahaal

• I don't roll on Shabbos. ב"ה
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #41 on: Jul 28, 2021, 01:02 AM »
Finally got a chance to look through this all again. You had asked about the collar being too wide. Man, I don’t think it looks that bad. I think it’s a bit wider than I would cut it for myself, but I think once everything is spaced, it should be just fine. The downfall of ABS is that it's a little more difficult to trim and shape somstimes. I've been eyeing his stuff on Etsy but haven't pulled the trigger. I'm 6'2" and 195 with a 44" chest. I didn't know if I should do large or small if I did order some.

That blaster looks really nice. You got a nice sidearm there!

You've added some plates to fill the gap between the chest and collar. I did the same thing. I don't know if they have a true, technical name, so I just call them gap plates.  :laugh: Not real original or anything, is it? Here's the best pictures I have of mine but it's with my old helmet and shortly after approval.

You can see I attached my cape to the left one. (Are you going with a cape on your build?) But mine attaches with velcro since I take my backplate off.

I like the addition of the greeblies to the holster. The best way to ensure modern tactical gear gets approved is to do a plate over it (easier on pouches obviously) or greeblies. Nice find there!

I don't see many things to critique right offhand that hasn't been mentioned aside from removing seat pockets unless you're doing a full cape or a kama.

Looking forward to more updates!

MMCC #1484¦¦64 Career Invasions¦¦Rancor Clan
Helmet Scratch Build||Beskar||Privateer||Protector

Tramp Graphics

• Illustrator
« Reply #42 on: Jul 28, 2021, 01:36 AM »
Finally got a chance to look through this all again. You had asked about the collar being too wide. Man, I don’t think it looks that bad. I think it’s a bit wider than I would cut it for myself, but I think once everything is spaced, it should be just fine. The downfall of ABS is that it's a little more difficult to trim and shape somstimes. I've been eyeing his stuff on Etsy but haven't pulled the trigger. I'm 6'2" and 195 with a 44" chest. I didn't know if I should do large or small if I did order some.

That blaster looks really nice. You got a nice sidearm there!

You've added some plates to fill the gap between the chest and collar. I did the same thing. I don't know if they have a true, technical name, so I just call them gap plates.  :laugh: Not real original or anything, is it? Here's the best pictures I have of mine but it's with my old helmet and shortly after approval.

You can see I attached my cape to the left one. (Are you going with a cape on your build?) But mine attaches with velcro since I take my backplate off.

I like the addition of the greeblies to the holster. The best way to ensure modern tactical gear gets approved is to do a plate over it (easier on pouches obviously) or greeblies. Nice find there!

I don't see many things to critique right offhand that hasn't been mentioned aside from removing seat pockets unless you're doing a full cape or a kama.

Looking forward to more updates!

The plates connecting the back and collar are properly called epaulettes, and, no, as of this time, I don’t plan on a cape or cloak. I do own a black wool square cloak from my time in the SCA. I use it with my Jedi kit, pleated up into a surcoat.

As for my back pocket cover flaps (the pockets themselves are fully internal), they’re staying right where they are. I am indeed wearing a Kama as part of my kit. I didn’t find the greeblies, I cast them out of 5-minute epoxy using Evil Ted molds I bought at Micheal’s craft store. They attach via Velcro. I used the same molds to cast my thermal charges and the greeblies on my belt buckles, this time out of UV resin. I have an order of ABS sheets (a pack of 2 12”x24”x 1/16” black), they just shipped and should arrive around 2 Aug. I’m going to use them to make some added plates to my back in order to match my concept art, as well as to make my codpiece (I don’t want a Boba Fett style codpiece). Until the plastic comes in, I’m at an I’m pass. My vest is at the tailor’s hopefully getting front zipper cover flaps made and attached.

My plates are the medium plates. I’m long torsoed 5’6” and about 175-190 lbs, with a 42” chest.

« Last Edit: Jul 28, 2021, 01:47 AM by Tramp Graphics » Logged

Tramp Graphics

• Illustrator
« Reply #43 on: Aug 07, 2021, 02:44 AM »
My ABS finally came in and I got to work on my codpiece. Hand shaping hot ABS without a vacuum former is not easy but it turned out better than I expected.

Fenn Beviin

• MMCC #: 2116
  • Awards Mandalorian Protector Brigade Member
« Reply #44 on: Aug 09, 2021, 08:14 AM »
Most impressive shaping that without a vac form.

My two cents: how does that currently look when worn - or at least on a mock up? It looks a little long for a traditional cod but you may be wearing it higher up on your abdomen that how the Fett's do.

Second: (this may already be planned) I believe you are going to need sand/bondo the bottom portion of that to smooth it out and hide the texture the plastic now has from forming it.

Chugging along though! Keep at it  :like:

"Try not to become a man of success, but a man of value."

Instagram: mythos_fenn_shysa

Mythos Fenn Arms (A Sales Thread): https://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=174182.msg2066382#new

Fenn Shysa WIP: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=80765.0

Blaster Addiction - So many Blasters: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=110659.msg1820500

Tramp Graphics

• Illustrator
« Reply #45 on: Aug 09, 2021, 11:23 AM »
Most impressive shaping that without a vac form.

My two cents: how does that currently look when worn - or at least on a mock up? It looks a little long for a traditional cod but you may be wearing it higher up on your abdomen that how the Fett's do.

Second: (this may already be planned) I believe you are going to need sand/bondo the bottom portion of that to smooth it out and hide the texture the plastic now has from forming it.

Chugging along though! Keep at it  :like:

Sanding, yes. Bondo, no.  Most smoothing I do with ABS typically uses brushing plastic welder over the surface to smooth it out after sanding. After that, if necessary, I’ll apply some acrylic floor polish to polish it and fill in any small defects.

As for the length, I have a long torso. When I stand upright, the top of the codpiece rests three fingers below by navel.

Tramp Graphics

• Illustrator
« Reply #46 on: Aug 20, 2021, 09:06 PM »
Got the mod to my back plate done. It wasn’t easy, but it looks pretty sweet, if I do say so myself.

I would say the hardest part was blending in the weld at the top to blend the ABS strip into the rest of the back plate. It’s not perfect, but there’s only so much you can do with a Dremmel and some jeweler’s files.

Tramp Graphics

• Illustrator
« Reply #47 on: Aug 25, 2021, 03:58 PM »
Here’s the first full mock-up of my entire kit (sans helmet). Obviously, the plates are just taped together, but this should give you all an idea of where I want to go. I had to make a new codpiece. The first one broke. It was also too narrow at the “functional” end to provide the proper “coverage”, if you know what I mean. The new one fits much better and is cleaner too, only one small burn, and that cleaned up pretty well.

« Last Edit: Aug 25, 2021, 04:04 PM by Tramp Graphics » Logged

Tramp Graphics

• Illustrator
« Reply #48 on: Sep 04, 2021, 03:51 AM »
Started on painting my armor with the primer coat. So far so good. I’m using an Acrylic polyurethane surface primer for everything but the helmet. It’s applied using an airbrush, so no propellant fumes. Still needs to cure, which takes 12 hours, but I’m going to let it do so until my next day off since I really don’t have time on days I work.

I also finished fabrication of my Kal Dagger.

Tramp Graphics

• Illustrator
« Reply #49 on: Sep 08, 2021, 08:01 PM »
More work done on the kit. I have the gloss base coat and chrome silver applied to all of the armor pieces, as well as my rocket and Kal Dagger. I’ve also applied the clear blue to the torso and back plates, as well as a gloss coat on top of that, since the particular blue I used was a flat clear, and I used it all up. I have some Tamiya Color clear blue for the rest of the armor. It’s gonna need some thinning to use in my airbrush however.

Let me know what you think.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!