Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Tramp’s Mando Kit WIP

• 244 Replies

Tenaz

• The Serax Legacy
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a Airmobile brigade member
Re: Tramp’s Mando Kit WIP
« Reply #100 on: Nov 25, 2021, 01:33 AM »
Ahhh so here's where all the updates on your WIP have been going! You have made a tremendous amount of progress. Its great to see how this has really come together in just a few short months! As Venix and some of the others, have pointed out, it would be great to have these updates shared within the Falco forums, so those who would be most closely involved in getting you app ready can keep a close eye on your progress.

I know this has been said a few times already, but you did a great job with the paint on your armor. Loving the blue application, and those lines are so clean!

There's a good amount of "bagginess" in your sleeves and pants (thighs), that you would need to take in and tightened up a bit, but that's a quick fix that's going to add so much to your kit.

With the updates you made to your helmet, can you take a picture with it on just looking straight ahead? Looking through the new pictures you shared, its clear that you added some support to extend the visor, but you are looking down or the camera is it an awkward angle, making it difficult to see where the visor would now sit.

Cant wait to see more progress from you vod - you're on your way to a great build! Keep up the motivation!

Tramp Graphics

• Illustrator
« Reply #101 on: Nov 25, 2021, 02:39 AM »
Ahhh so here's where all the updates on your WIP have been going! You have made a tremendous amount of progress. Its great to see how this has really come together in just a few short months! As Venix and some of the others, have pointed out, it would be great to have these updates shared within the Falco forums, so those who would be most closely involved in getting you app ready can keep a close eye on your progress.

I know this has been said a few times already, but you did a great job with the paint on your armor. Loving the blue application, and those lines are so clean!

There's a good amount of "bagginess" in your sleeves and pants (thighs), that you would need to take in and tightened up a bit, but that's a quick fix that's going to add so much to your kit.

With the updates you made to your helmet, can you take a picture with it on just looking straight ahead? Looking through the new pictures you shared, its clear that you added some support to extend the visor, but you are looking down or the camera is it an awkward angle, making it difficult to see where the visor would now sit.

Cant wait to see more progress from you vod - you're on your way to a great build! Keep up the motivation!

I didn’t so much extend the visor as cover the bottom of the visor with a spacer between the mandibles like Venix Arden suggested. The spacer is part of the helmet itself, not attached to the visor, and still lines up with the inner edge of the bevel.

As for the “bagginess” of the thighs and sleeves, first off, these are BDUs, which are intentionally looser fitting for greater range of motion in combat. Second, the thighs aren’t baggy at all. You might be confusing the cargo pockets on the sides of the thighs (which are still allowed by the CRLs, given that even Boba Fett had such cargo pockets, albeit on the front of his thighs) with baggy thighs. As for the  sleeves, the seam which would be “taken in” on most shirts is covered almost entirely by a large patch/gusset which wraps halfway around the outside of the sleeve and runs from the middle of the tricep to the middle of the forearm. Not only that, but the sleeves are designed to fit a large range of arm circumferences. You don’t tailor BDU sleeves, it’s not even an option, given their specific design and functionality. You tighten them at the wrist using any of the three buttons around the cuff, which, in turn, puts a deep pleat in the sleeve. That’s how you adjust the fit of BDU sleeves. So, not only don’t you “tailor” BDU sleeves to make them tighter, you can’t tailor BDU sleeves. They’re not designed for it,  just the opposite, in fact.

In order to “tailor” BDU sleeves, you would essentially need to almost completely disassemble them. It should also be noted that my vambraces do tend push my sleeves up, which, obviously, causes them to bunch up. Now, one potential solution to this issue is to wrap the lower sleeves, possibly with an elastic blousing strap, armband, or some such, before putting on my vambraces. However, I have no plans, nor intention, to permanently alter my sleeves, especially since I will often be wearing a sweatshirt underneath during cold weather events.

Cattriss Wren

• "Vurel verburyc, draar solus"
« Reply #102 on: Nov 25, 2021, 07:48 AM »
Awesome job so far vode :like: keep it up ;D I really like the paint you chose.

my armor. http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=203296.0

"Mandalorians don't make threats. We make promises"

"Everyone has a struggle in life. The key is turning that struggle into your weapon."

Aster Veris

• "Monarch of mud"
  • Awards EnviroOps Beastmaster Brigade Member
« Reply #103 on: Nov 25, 2021, 09:42 PM »
Your visor looks okay to me; I think you could see your face because if light shines through the inside of the helmet it doesn't look as reflective. Where did you get your current visor?

OM #2630 | BM #394 | they/them | mav oya'la clan |IG: @ plant.alorian | Aster WIP

Tramp Graphics

• Illustrator
« Reply #104 on: Nov 25, 2021, 09:57 PM »
Your visor looks okay to me; I think you could see your face because if light shines through the inside of the helmet it doesn't look as reflective. Where did you get your current visor?

A hobby store. It’s just an old sheet of blue clear plastic I had bought several years prior, along with a sheet of yellow, green, and orange, for kitbashing custom Transformers.

Ru'Stor Rawr

• Mjölnir
  • Awards Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 25 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Airmobile brigade member Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #105 on: Nov 25, 2021, 09:59 PM »
I didn’t so much extend the visor as cover the bottom of the visor with a spacer between the mandibles like Venix Arden suggested. The spacer is part of the helmet itself, not attached to the visor, and still lines up with the inner edge of the bevel.

As for the “bagginess” of the thighs and sleeves, first off, these are BDUs, which are intentionally looser fitting for greater range of motion in combat. Second, the thighs aren’t baggy at all. You might be confusing the cargo pockets on the sides of the thighs (which are still allowed by the CRLs, given that even Boba Fett had such cargo pockets, albeit on the front of his thighs) with baggy thighs. As for the  sleeves, the seam which would be “taken in” on most shirts is covered almost entirely by a large patch/gusset which wraps halfway around the outside of the sleeve and runs from the middle of the tricep to the middle of the forearm. Not only that, but the sleeves are designed to fit a large range of arm circumferences. You don’t tailor BDU sleeves, it’s not even an option, given their specific design and functionality. You tighten them at the wrist using any of the three buttons around the cuff, which, in turn, puts a deep pleat in the sleeve. That’s how you adjust the fit of BDU sleeves. So, not only don’t you “tailor” BDU sleeves to make them tighter, you can’t tailor BDU sleeves. They’re not designed for it,  just the opposite, in fact.

In order to “tailor” BDU sleeves, you would essentially need to almost completely disassemble them. It should also be noted that my vambraces do tend push my sleeves up, which, obviously, causes them to bunch up. Now, one potential solution to this issue is to wrap the lower sleeves, possibly with an elastic blousing strap, armband, or some such, before putting on my vambraces. However, I have no plans, nor intention, to permanently alter my sleeves, especially since I will often be wearing a sweatshirt underneath during cold weather events.

your choice of soft parts do not over ride the CRLs, i agree that you need more tailoring for a moe snug fit, it is in the 1st line of the CRLs for the flight suit,

Flight suit:
Flight suit must fit snugly to the wearer.

The best thing anyone who wants approval can do is follow the CRLs, if you ignore them they will come back to bite you in the shebs
Good luck with your build

Tramp Graphics

• Illustrator
« Reply #106 on: Nov 26, 2021, 12:25 AM »

your choice of soft parts do not over ride the CRLs, i agree that you need more tailoring for a moe snug fit, it is in the 1st line of the CRLs for the flight suit,

Flight suit:
Flight suit must fit snugly to the wearer.

The best thing anyone who wants approval can do is follow the CRLs, if you ignore them they will come back to bite you in the shebs
Good luck with your build

Never said they did.  :8):

As I said, I already have a solution in mind for the sleeves. The pants already fit pretty snug around the thighs; it’s just the cargo pockets on the sides of the thighs that make them look baggier than they really are. The only place they get a little “loose” is at the knee, and my knee pads take care of that.

I would also like to point out that Jango Fett’s flight suit is far baggier than mine, especially in the thighs, and his sleeves are just as loose around the upper arm.

Looking at different images of Boba Fett, I would say my pant legs are on par with his in terms of how snug they are, if not more so, based upon some shots.

Neither wore particularly snug flight suits, especially around the arms and legs. If they are the “gold standard” for how Mandalorian armor and soft goods should fit, then my pants, at least, meet those standards. My sleeves? As I said, I have a potential solution in mind. I just need to test it out.

« Last Edit: Nov 26, 2021, 12:59 AM by Tramp Graphics » Logged

Ru'Stor Rawr

• Mjölnir
  • Awards Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 25 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Airmobile brigade member Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #107 on: Nov 28, 2021, 11:17 AM »
If you were doing a Canon Character like Jango or Boba then that would be the case, youre doing a custom build which needs to follow the CRLs for the era you choose to build in, The area i was talking about is the area around the knee where it "Poofs" out due to the knee armor,  also all thighs are pretty snug when sitting like in your photo,  Point is that if you follow the CRLs you should have no issues with approval, if you want the help you can always reach out to me or your Clan Ruus'alor.

Tramp Graphics

• Illustrator
« Reply #108 on: Nov 28, 2021, 02:49 PM »
I’m not sure what you mean that the knees poof out because of the knee armor. The only part that might be “proofing out” is the cargo pockets on the outside of each thigh, unless you’re talking about what the knee plates are attached too. You might be confusing the knee pads under the armor plates with the pant leg. My knee plates are attached to industrial knee pads being used as plate carriers.

Tenaz

• The Serax Legacy
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a Airmobile brigade member
« Reply #109 on: Nov 28, 2021, 10:23 PM »
I’m not sure what you mean that the knees poof out because of the knee armor. The only part that might be “proofing out” is the cargo pockets on the outside of each thigh, unless you’re talking about what the knee plates are attached too. You might be confusing the knee pads under the armor plates with the pant leg. My knee plates are attached to industrial knee pads being used as plate carriers.

You are right in your assumption here, at least that’s what I was pointing to as well. I see that these are pockets that are apart of the pants. The issue here is that they give the appearance of the pants being overly baggy, and appearance is what the app team is going to be focused on. Looking closely at the pictures, the pockets appear to be sewn onto the top layer of the pants, so if you were to remove them, the pants should still be fully intact and clean, so you could still use them for any other purposes. Can be removed with a seam ripper and a few minutes.

I searched through the Q&A section to get app team rulings on these types of pockets, and here is what I found;

While slit pockets nee to be hidden, thigh pockets like Boba's are allowed, these are usually more front centred rather than side. The main reason for removal of cargo pockets is that store bought tend to have the pockets on the side and often low enough that they get in the way of the knees.
- source: Question - Zippers and Pockets

Any pockets that fall under armour or are close enough that they can keep pushing armour out of place (knees or thighs are the usual) must be removed.
-source: Question - Various Soft-Part questions.

And lastly, if you decide you really want to go the route of keeping them, they would need to be altered a bit:
cargo pockets should be ok if you can make them appear to be in-universe. Pad them out with foam or cloth to achieve the desired look of Fett's thigh pockets.
-source: Question - Vertx pants

Tramp Graphics

• Illustrator
« Reply #110 on: Nov 29, 2021, 12:11 AM »
You are right in your assumption here, at least that’s what I was pointing to as well. I see that these are pockets that are apart of the pants. The issue here is that they give the appearance of the pants being overly baggy, and appearance is what the app team is going to be focused on. Looking closely at the pictures, the pockets appear to be sewn onto the top layer of the pants, so if you were to remove them, the pants should still be fully intact and clean, so you could still use them for any other purposes. Can be removed with a seam ripper and a few minutes.

I searched through the Q&A section to get app team rulings on these types of pockets, and here is what I found;
- source: Question - Zippers and Pockets
-source: Question - Various Soft-Part questions.

And lastly, if you decide you really want to go the route of keeping them, they would need to be altered a bit:-source: Question - Vertx pants

Yes, I am keeping the cargo pockets, and am keeping them functional since I do intend to make use of them to store miscellaneous items as needed, at least with the right thigh pocket, since the left one is blocked by my holster. I chose BDUs for my flight suit, not only for their “military” appearance, but also for their functionality.

As for whether or not they’re “in universe” despite being on the sides of the thighs, rather than in front, yes, it is. At least one, if not more Resistance soldiers in The Last Jedi have cargo pockets on the sides of his thighs, as seen in this shot here:

Both the tall, dark skinned gentleman and the smaller, young lady next to him, as well as the bearded gentleman on the other side of Admiral Holdo, have cargo pockets on the sides of their thighs, so, yes, they are “in universe”.

It should also be noted that the majority of my soft goods are actual military surplus, the only exceptions being my vest, Kama, boots, and gloves. This was because my persona is a soldier, not a bounty hunter.  I wanted proper, functional, military gear for my soft goods, as befits a soldier.

« Last Edit: Nov 29, 2021, 01:48 AM by Tramp Graphics » Logged

Venix Arden

• United by the Creed
  • Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #111 on: Dec 03, 2021, 12:24 PM »
I think the biggest issue with the cargo pockets are the fact that they are BDU style pockets that are made to accordion fold in and out, allowing for storage and transport of larger items. When I was in the Army, I used to put my MRE's in my pants pockets  :laugh: Since they have this habit of "poofing" out, I'd suggest ironing them flat and see how the armor fits on the body after that. Unfortunately, *if* they interfere with the plates, more than likely you'll have to remove them or modify them in such a fashion that they A) lay flat and B) do not impede the armor plates.

Circling back to your visor (and answering your PM at the same time) I really would like to see the helmet on and off your head from a straight and level POV. In some of the pictures, it does not look like the visor reaches all the way down to the bottom. When i suggested putting a spacer down at the bottom, I fear there may have been a miscommunication on my part.

As you can see from this picture, my helmet has a solid area at the bottom of the mandible and my visor goes just past that on the inside. Doing this also provides much needed stability to the helmet and prevents mandible warping. Just some food for thought.

Fenn Beviin

• MMCC #: 2116
  • Awards Mandalorian Protector Brigade Member
« Reply #112 on: Dec 03, 2021, 12:46 PM »
I think the problem with the "poofiness" of your R thigh is that it looks like you may have pulled your pant leg up so that the knee padding doesn't cover up part of the pockets when worn. Is that a correct assumption as to how you put them on?

"Try not to become a man of success, but a man of value."

Instagram: mythos_fenn_shysa

Mythos Fenn Arms (A Sales Thread): https://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=174182.msg2066382#new

Fenn Shysa WIP: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=80765.0

Blaster Addiction - So many Blasters: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=110659.msg1820500

Frostfyre

• In war, Victory.
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #113 on: Dec 03, 2021, 01:09 PM »
The App team is going to focus on the general flow of the soft parts and appearance, not the "functionality." If they disrupt the aesthetic of the flight suit with the illusion of bagginess from the cargo pockets, they will be heavily scrutinized by the app team.
 :sabine:
While military gear like the BDU is often used in costume design for rank-and-file rebel fighters, Mandalorians don't have them, nor use them.

Try Venix's idea and see if they lay flat and flush with the rest of the fabric. If not, then they will need to be removed.

« Last Edit: Dec 03, 2021, 03:44 PM by Frostfyre » Logged

Asenath Wren

• Helmet on, heart gone
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions
« Reply #114 on: Dec 03, 2021, 01:12 PM »
Hi Tramp!  First of I'd like to say that i love the idea of using transparent tints over a metallic base for your armor, the effect is really nice!

As for the visor question, I can see that the situation is a bit better than when you first posted the helmet, but it isn't quite completely solved yet.  Per the CRLs, the visor has to sit flush on the inside of the helmet:

"Visor should sit flush on inside of helmet. Gaps should be kept to a minimum and should not exceed ¼” or 6mm."

I think the reason your visor doesn't appear to reach the bottom is because there's a gap between the visor itself, and the inside of the mandible at the bottom of the T.  This can be fixed as someone already suggested by putting some spacer material BEHIND the visor to press it into the inside of the mandible, or possibly also by adding material to the inner rim of the mandible where it doesn't sit flush against the visor. 

Also to reiterate Venix's suggestion, a straight-on shot of you in your helmet will go a very long way toward showing that your visor is the correct length.  Personally I always add clarifying photos like that directly onto my application in the "additional photos" section, it can save the App Team from having to dig through your WIP looking for something specific.

I also just wanted to take a second to address this:

It should also be noted that the majority of my soft goods are actual military surplus, the only exceptions being my vest, Kama, boots, and gloves. This was because my persona is a soldier, not a bounty hunter.  I wanted proper, functional, military gear for my soft goods, as befits a soldier.

While it's really cool that you have a persona and story worked out for your character, unfortunately that doesn't let us circumvent the rules that are in place when helping recruits get approved.  Since our images in our approved kits technically belong to LFL, sometimes it helps to think of us not as characters, but as film props.  We are here to *look* like characters in Star Wars, and the stories we write for our characters have no bearing on whether or not our costumes are approvable within the existing aesthetic framework of the CRLs and Lucasfilm.

That being said, I think using BDUs is do-able, with the adjustments that others have recommended.
Unfortunately existing military surplus often has to be modified for use in Star Wars costumes specifically because it is identifiable as Earth military.

I wonder if, to combat the seeming bagginess of the cargo pockets, you could add a small square of velcro to the inside of the pocket, to hold the pocket closer to the thigh when empty?  That way it would still be usable, but not appear to be baggy when not in use.

Matchstick1021

• Your Daily Splash of Orange
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year.
« Reply #115 on: Dec 03, 2021, 01:51 PM »
Yes, I am keeping the cargo pockets, and am keeping them functional since I do intend to make use of them to store miscellaneous items as needed, at least with the right thigh pocket, since the left one is blocked by my holster. I chose BDUs for my flight suit, not only for their “military” appearance, but also for their functionality.

My flight suit is a fully fire resistant Air Force BDU that was bought from a military surplus store as well.  I still removed or sewed shut pockets to comply with CRLs. All of my miscellaneous items go in my belt pouches, which are in-universe and fit into the CRLs.

Sucking at something is the first step towards being sort of good at something.
MMCC#2424
Rancor Clan
Traffic Cone #38

Ru'Stor Rawr

• Mjölnir
« Reply #116 on: Dec 03, 2021, 01:56 PM »
Goes back to my original statement, personal choice of soft parts and backstory doesn’t override the crls

Sabine

• Awards Award for 75 official invasions. 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 50 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances
« Reply #117 on: Dec 03, 2021, 02:21 PM »
On the subject of BDUs and surplus, yes, star wars does occasionally use military surplus, but it is overwhelmingly for members of the rebellion, resistance, or empire military because all 3 of those ARE military. No onscreen live Mandos use surplus gear. The soft parts are all custom, the leather goods are hand made and character specific, the colors and details are unique. So while surplus has a place in star wars, that place has never been with Mandalorian characters.

As for functionality - this comes up quite often and all I can say is you need to let go of that desire for functionality. There is absolutely nothing functional about Mando armor. not as protective gear, not for carrying things, not for keeping cool - Mando armor is an inconvenient pain in the sheebs. In the Mandalorian, I'm told they use rubber stunt armor for certain scenes because of the lack of ability to move and bend, and if you watch closely across all live action media there's shots of armor out of whack everywhere because of how terrible it is to move and fight in. That's just how it is. That being said, there are lots of solutions to making it more functional that you can take advantage of. Leather pouches are a great choice - they're fairly simple to make and dye even if you haven't done leather work, and you can make make a variety of sizes or shapes to suit your needs. You can then strap pouches to your belt, to taller boots, to crossbody straps...I have a drop pouch planned for mine that will hang from my belt but be strapped to my thigh.

Ultimately, making a Mando is an opportunity to step outside your comfort zone and exercise creativity. It's okay to love the military aesthetic and use BDUs and want functionality. The real trick is finding solutions to use BDUs while modifying them to fit with Mando aesthetic and the CRLs.

I hope that helps!

Sabine Wren S2

Tra'cor Clan || MMCC#1593 || M5#71 || NOS#9 || 96 OM Invasions

Kurshi BeJahaal

• I don't roll on Shabbos. ב"ה
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #118 on: Dec 03, 2021, 03:28 PM »
I think there's a lot to take into consideration here. You've got an entire Region's Ruus Team and several App Team Members trying to make sure that your kit meets the requirements for your approval. We want to see you succeed and get your stripes. You have a lot of passion and are very driven. Both of which will be a great asset to Falco Clan.

I will echo the need to remove the cargo pockets. Why? Because it will come back as a fix for you if they're not heavily modified, fully hidden or removed. This is why we deck ourselves out with pouches. Pockets, aside from the front of the thigh Fett-style ones, aren't typically seen on Modern Era Mandos. The CRLs are written to provide that continuity with our custom builds. My Protector has thigh pouches, but I'm using a Boba Flightsuit.

We're here to help, that's all we're trying to do. We will gladly put our heads together at any time to help you or any other recruit pass.

MMCC #1484¦¦64 Career Invasions¦¦Rancor Clan
Helmet Scratch Build||Beskar||Privateer||Protector

Tramp Graphics

• Illustrator
« Reply #119 on: Dec 03, 2021, 06:09 PM »
Hi Tramp!  First of I'd like to say that i love the idea of using transparent tints over a metallic base for your armor, the effect is really nice!

As for the visor question, I can see that the situation is a bit better than when you first posted the helmet, but it isn't quite completely solved yet.  Per the CRLs, the visor has to sit flush on the inside of the helmet:

"Visor should sit flush on inside of helmet. Gaps should be kept to a minimum and should not exceed ¼” or 6mm."

I think the reason your visor doesn't appear to reach the bottom is because there's a gap between the visor itself, and the inside of the mandible at the bottom of the T.  This can be fixed as someone already suggested by putting some spacer material BEHIND the visor to press it into the inside of the mandible, or possibly also by adding material to the inner rim of the mandible where it doesn't sit flush against the visor. 

Also to reiterate Venix's suggestion, a straight-on shot of you in your helmet will go a very long way toward showing that your visor is the correct length.  Personally I always add clarifying photos like that directly onto my application in the "additional photos" section, it can save the App Team from having to dig through your WIP looking for something specific.

I also just wanted to take a second to address this:

While it's really cool that you have a persona and story worked out for your character, unfortunately that doesn't let us circumvent the rules that are in place when helping recruits get approved.  Since our images in our approved kits technically belong to LFL, sometimes it helps to think of us not as characters, but as film props.  We are here to *look* like characters in Star Wars, and the stories we write for our characters have no bearing on whether or not our costumes are approvable within the existing aesthetic framework of the CRLs and Lucasfilm.

That being said, I think using BDUs is do-able, with the adjustments that others have recommended.
Unfortunately existing military surplus often has to be modified for use in Star Wars costumes specifically because it is identifiable as Earth military.

I wonder if, to combat the seeming bagginess of the cargo pockets, you could add a small square of velcro to the inside of the pocket, to hold the pocket closer to the thigh when empty?  That way it would still be usable, but not appear to be baggy when not in use.

The visor does reach the bottom of the mandibles on the inside. The “issue” is that the entire bottom edge of the helmet, including the mandibles, is beveled so the outside edge is 1/4” lower than the inside edge. Also, the visor does fit flush against the helmet, particularly at the bottom, given that there’s a foam ring around the base of the helmet that sandwiches the visor between it and the helmet, so it is pressed against the mandibles. The visor is mounted to the inside of the helmet around the top of the “T” by 1/16” thick double-sided mounting tape, so I can replace the visor, if necessary.

The spacer is added behind the mandibles, but in front of the visor. I don’t want the mandibles completely filled in, just the bottom of the visor itself covered, but still keep the “illusion” of separate mandibles. I might add a second thin strip under the bottom edge, if necessary, but I would rather not. I also haven’t painted the spacer, yet. I like the look of it as is.

I think there's a lot to take into consideration here. You've got an entire Region's Ruus Team and several App Team Members trying to make sure that your kit meets the requirements for your approval. We want to see you succeed and get your stripes. You have a lot of passion and are very driven. Both of which will be a great asset to Falco Clan.

I will echo the need to remove the cargo pockets. Why? Because it will come back as a fix for you if they're not heavily modified, fully hidden or removed. This is why we deck ourselves out with pouches. Pockets, aside from the front of the thigh Fett-style ones, aren't typically seen on Modern Era Mandos. The CRLs are written to provide that continuity with our custom builds. My Protector has thigh pouches, but I'm using a Boba Flightsuit.

We're here to help, that's all we're trying to do. We will gladly put our heads together at any time to help you or any other recruit pass.

Except that the CRLs don’t say anything about thigh mounted cargo pockets. The only rule about pockets in the CRLs are in regards to the slit pockets on the hips, and external back pockets on the seat of the pants ( which my pants don’t have, they have cover flaps which close the internal slit pockets in the seat of the pants), both of which are completely hidden by my Kama. There is nothing at all in the CRLs that say cargo pockets on the thighs need to be modified or removed. I’ve read them forwards and backwards. To quote:

External pockets on the seat of the pants must be removed. Internal slit pockets on the hips and slit pockets on the seat of the pants must be hidden, sewn shut, or fully closed so that they don’t fall open.

That is all the CRLs say on the issue of pockets for a standard Modern kit. Ther is nothing forbidding thigh mounted cargo pockets, the is no rule requiring any modifications to them if present, what style they need to be if present, nor where they need to be mounted, be it front or side.  The only rule on Cargo pockets in the CRLs at all is in regards to pilots, and that rule specifically requires that the flight suit to have them, and specifically on the front of the thigh. Once again however, that rule is for pilots only. The CRLs for  standard Modern kit, however, has no rule one way or the other on thigh mounted cargo pockets. And, I have provided clear in universe examples of side mounted cargo pockets.

And, for the record, I am indeed contemplating making my persona a member of either the Rebellion, New Republic military, or Resistance forces.

« Last Edit: Dec 03, 2021, 06:53 PM by Tramp Graphics » Logged

Venix Arden

• United by the Creed
  • Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #120 on: Dec 03, 2021, 11:57 PM »
And I'd just like to swing in and say that you have literally dozens of official members here in your WIP thread taking time and energy to do their best to assist you with your costume per the CRL's and your vision

Your responses to our willingness to help comes across as slightly arrogant and flippant to the individuals in this thread who are trying to help you Sir. We WANT you to be approved. You have obvious passion and skill. We want you to succeed and I truly hope that you see that.

I'm going to respectfully ask that you take all of these member's advice and use that as tools in your toolbox for the future. Please reach out to your local Clan (Falco) and ask for some hands on help with some of the issues that have been brought up.  Thank you

Tramp Graphics

• Illustrator
« Reply #121 on: Dec 04, 2021, 02:38 AM »
And I'd just like to swing in and say that you have literally dozens of official members here in your WIP thread taking time and energy to do their best to assist you with your costume per the CRL's and your vision

Your responses to our willingness to help comes across as slightly arrogant and flippant to the individuals in this thread who are trying to help you Sir. We WANT you to be approved. You have obvious passion and skill. We want you to succeed and I truly hope that you see that.

I'm going to respectfully ask that you take all of these member's advice and use that as tools in your toolbox for the future. Please reach out to your local Clan (Falco) and ask for some hands on help with some of the issues that have been brought up.  Thank you

And I appreciate that, I really do. And I’m not trying to come off as arrogant or flippant. It’s simply that some of the advice being given genuinely doesn’t make sense to me when I read the CRLs themselves. That’s what’s causing my confusion and consternation.  Having those “pouch style” cargo pockets, and the functional aesthetic of the BDUs, is the very reason why I chose them for my flight suit, especially since the CRLs themselves do allow them without any explicitly required modifications or placement (except for pilots, where they are a requirement and do need to be on the front). These are genuine questions and concerns I have.

Dha Bral suggested to another member, back in 2016, to fill the cargo pockets of his Vertx pants with something, basically to make it clear that they were pockets, and not baggy pant legs (http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=201879.120), and that is certainly an option, at least for the pre app and app pics, when the time comes. Though I would be inclined to put something a little more practical in the right side pocket than foam or cloth padding.  :8):

I’ll be the first to say that the pics I posted in full kit are definitely not up to standard, nor are they even remotely intended as pre-app pics. If anything, I dressed pretty hastily to get ready for trick or treaters, and was put on without any assistance. That is probably a big part of the problem. Think about it. My gun belt isn’t even on straight in those pics. The buckle should be centered over my codpiece, but, instead is cocked to one side.  I don’t even have the mounts to mount hoses attached to my right vambrace nor to the inside of my back plate above my right shoulder. I also still need a sheath for my Kal dagger and belt mounts for my micro charges. Heck, I might end up having to replace my visor if it’s not “opaque” enough. I have been thinking about getting a Kalevala mirrored visor, but they’ve been incommunicado form the forums since May, so I’m not sure what’s going on with them. So, right now, my primary concern (after the holidays) is getting my helmet up to snuff and getting the hoses mounted.

I would love to have some actual hands on help, but there are no official members, much less officers, in the Buffalo area. They all live on the other side of the state. I think the closest OM might be in Syracuse, over two hours away by car, and I ride a mountain bike.

Tenaz

• The Serax Legacy
« Reply #122 on: Dec 04, 2021, 07:35 AM »
Hey Tramp! You’ve gotten a lot of feedback here, from the people that know the CRLs best, and they’re addressing multiple pieces. I think you are taking the right approach in your last post - starting with the helmet, and getting that squared away first. You can work your way down the kit from there, making sure each piece is compliant as you go. There’s no rush to get it all done by any particular time!

While I’m not near the Buffalo area, I can certainly lend a virtual hand. Getting live help, even if it’s just a call or video call goes a long way in clarifying any miscommunication in the forums lol

Looking forward to seeing this moving forward!

ishtob

• Aluminati
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2024. Donated four quarters of 2023.
« Reply #123 on: Dec 04, 2021, 01:29 PM »
Dha Bral suggested to another member, back in 2016, to fill the cargo pockets of his Vertx pants with something, basically to make it clear that they were pockets, and not baggy pant legs (http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=201879.120), and that is certainly an option, at least for the pre app and app pics, when the time comes. Though I would be inclined to put something a little more practical in the right side pocket than foam or cloth padding.  :8):

I have a fabric pouch that is floppy, ended up make a 3 sided rectangle with EVA foam stack to give is structure while keeping the pouch functional for my wallet and phone

as for the cargo pocket. In its current form, it looks almost like a  after thought the way it’s partially tucked under the knee armor. If you were a real mando planning your tactical gears, you would never plan to have a pocket to be partially under an armor.

If you can sew or knows someone who can, a boba styled cargo pocket would look great here. I did a quick sketch of what they may look like

« Last Edit: Dec 04, 2021, 02:09 PM by ishtob » Logged
Zark Lyall - OM #2494 - Firaxan Clan | Kit WIP   Kit 2 WIP  Metal Helmet WIP    Metal BoBF Boba WIP

Tramp Graphics

• Illustrator
« Reply #124 on: Dec 04, 2021, 08:24 PM »
I have a fabric pouch that is floppy, ended up make a 3 sided rectangle with EVA foam stack to give is structure while keeping the pouch functional for my wallet and phone

as for the cargo pocket. In its current form, it looks almost like a  after thought the way it’s partially tucked under the knee armor. If you were a real mando planning your tactical gears, you would never plan to have a pocket to be partially under an armor.

If you can sew or knows someone who can, a boba styled cargo pocket would look great here. I did a quick sketch of what they may look like

The cargo pockets are a stock part of the pants themselves, not an add-on. They don’t really tuck into the knee plates either since the band that secured my knee pads (which the knee plates are attached to) wraps below the knee, not above it, making sure that the knee plates bend with my lower leg. As I said, I will most likely simply put some random items in my right cargo pocket when I take my Pre-App and App pics when the time comes. The goal is to make it clear that those are cargo pockets, not baggy pants.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!