Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Kainrath's Soft Parts WIP

• 6 Replies
Kainrath's Soft Parts WIP
« on: Apr 25, 2021, 11:46 AM »
Working on the kama/half-kilt thing

Also made an over-the-shoulder cape

Weathering

Gloves

Lace Covers for Boots

Flak Vest with some stuff added

This magnet and stud is what holds the cape secure

Holster

More to come...

Arco'thyel Wyshla

• Your resident crazy cat mando
Re: Kainrath's Soft Parts WIP
« Reply #1 on: Apr 25, 2021, 04:34 PM »
Wow, youíre really off and running! Such great details from the weathering to the trophies on your belt already. I donít think Iíve seen anyone inset their magnets so cohesively like that Ė itís cool to see attachment methods fit right in!

Iím loving this build so far. :D

Arco's armor concept thread: Come help me plan things out!

"Visit Mandalore before Mandalore visits you. Take home some souvenirsóa slab of uj cake and a smack in the mouth." ―Baltan Carid

"Donít take this the wrong way you guys, but uh, Mandalorians are crazy." ―Ezra Bridger

Senra Qiin

• "Haat o'r an nuhune"
« Reply #2 on: Apr 25, 2021, 09:40 PM »
Wow, youíre really off and running! Such great details from the weathering to the trophies on your belt already. I donít think Iíve seen anyone inset their magnets so cohesively like that Ė itís cool to see attachment methods fit right in!

Iím loving this build so far. :D
Agreed!  :cookie:

"Alright newbie, come on, we're going to the Quelli sector; Dathomir to be precise. You can ask questions on the way, just watch out for Nightsisters."

(Profile picture by Sketchyitaliana)
« Reply #3 on: Apr 25, 2021, 10:50 PM »
Thanks very much! I've had a blast working on it!

Some close ups of the belt....

I originally made a sash/belt from scratch, but it turned out to be overly bulky

So I ended up buying one that works much better

I also made a cloak from scratch, inspired by the one that Din wears in The Mandalorian

But I ended up deciding to make a simpler, shoulder cape instead

The leather gaiters I made. I'm thinking about having a single shin guard on top of one of the gaiters, but still thinking that through...

And a few more shots of the kama (made from denim and leather)

Started adding some fun thing to the pouches tonight...

Some more weathering

And a test I did on a part of the flight suit to see how it looked. The darker paint doesn't show up very well on the dark material of the flight suit, so I wanted to try something lighter to see how it turned out...might be TOO bright?

« Last Edit: Apr 29, 2021, 12:15 PM by Kainrath » Logged

Vercopaanir

• Awards Special Operations Brigade Member Medic Brigade Member
« Reply #4 on: Apr 29, 2021, 03:05 PM »
Loving your softs!  This is great, the kama/kilt is amazing and the leather work is awesome.

As to your weathering, up to you.  If you do add the light weathering there you'll need to added it to other places as well to keep it consistent across the kit.  Most of your other weathering is dark so you might want to temper it to a slightly darker color but again as long as you are consistent in your weathering it is fine.

Keep up the good work!  :like:

« Reply #5 on: Apr 29, 2021, 03:08 PM »
Loving your softs!  This is great, the kama/kilt is amazing and the leather work is awesome.

As to your weathering, up to you.  If you do add the light weathering there you'll need to added it to other places as well to keep it consistent across the kit.  Most of your other weathering is dark so you might want to temper it to a slightly darker color but again as long as you are consistent in your weathering it is fine.

Keep up the good work!  :like:

I was wondering about the consistency ... so thanks for the input! Extremely helpful!

Here's a few more shots of the flak vest and cummerbund where I'm trying to figure out the weathering...

« Last Edit: May 01, 2021, 01:39 PM by Kainrath » Logged

Vercopaanir

• Awards Special Operations Brigade Member Medic Brigade Member
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2021, 08:20 AM »
I think that looks great! 

The edges and high points will see the most wear and tear...under the armor not so much. :)  The seams will collect the most dirt and grime.  Looks like you nailed it.  :cookie:

I saw your armor WIP, good work there too.  When I weathered my softs, I also took into consideration where the damage was on my plates.  So a claw mark got extended down onto my vest.  A blaster burn on the shoulder and between the chest and ab plate, etc... Just food for thought.

Cant wait to see more.  :porg2:

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!