Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Armor Concept - VERY early Stages

• 13 Replies
Armor Concept - VERY early Stages
« on: Apr 28, 2021, 11:47 PM »
So, I put a little time in on the MandoMaker for my long percolating concept for my first build.  The quick Goal was : Modern Kit, Medium Class, Colors: Green, Black, White (some brown leather).  I haven't done a full kit write up with regards to accessories, but this is the core of what I want to work with.  Current name I am working around is Tav'ika Terah. 

Feedback very much appreciated!

« Last Edit: Apr 29, 2021, 02:18 AM by Octavia » Logged

Fenn Beviin

• MMCC #: 2116
  • Awards Mandalorian Protector Brigade Member
Re: Armor Concept - VERY early Stages
« Reply #1 on: Apr 29, 2021, 12:48 PM »
Overall, this is a pretty good concept. However, in my personal opinion how the colors are currently being implemented are a little aggressive on the eyes with everything being outlined in white.

With wanting black armor, I think you could benefit from making either the flight suit any shade of brown/tan which would compliment the use of the leather kama. As it is, the kama doesn't fit with the aesthetics that you currently have. The brown/tan flight suit would also help to accentuate the black armor as it will stand out more and draw the eye.

The greens would look fantastic as really any shade of earth tone greens as well and help type the brown leathers together with the black of your armor. Adding accent details such as the Boba and Jango Fett jetpack logos or other kinds of designs from the Prototype Boba Fett in the white in certain places would really help the look I think.

Just my 2 cents.

Looking forward to seeing how this comes together.

"Try not to become a man of success, but a man of value."

Instagram: mythos_fenn_shysa

Mythos Fenn Arms (A Sales Thread): https://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=174182.msg2066382#new

Fenn Shysa WIP: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=80765.0

Blaster Addiction - So many Blasters: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=110659.msg1820500
« Reply #2 on: Apr 29, 2021, 01:53 PM »
Thank you for that feedback!  I was already making some adjustments in line with a few points you made -

So, for reference to the inspiration, I am working off a piece of personal heraldry from a different group I used to participate with.  I actually wanted a slightly aggressive contrast, but agree the white is a bit too harsh in my first pass.  To share, here is the original heraldry that is inspiring my color and contrast choices:

I already liked the meanings for Green and Black (both in the original heraldry and Legacy armor color meanings).  I think that I can get a less harsh contrast but still have the the pop I am aiming for with silver/'unpainted' beskar instead of white.

As for the leather, I did default to "Leather = Brown" when I was rushing through the maker and while I personally like small touches of brown over darker palattes, I agree that it may not work as well in this context.  The plan for my kama is to use a faux reptilian leather with some paint work (or press and dye my own leather) to make it look like actual scales/hide such as off a Hssiss or other creature from the universe, which would fit with a darker green.

I made some adjustments this afternoon, so here is the slightly modified version.  In actual application, the different green tones will all likely be less vibrant and more muted, but I wanted to keep a clear contrast that would convey on different screens for now while I'm still planning and gathering input.  Don't mind the t-visor...trying to get it to be the right earthy "sheen" for which every material I end up using was limited by the (still very awesome) program.

« Last Edit: Apr 29, 2021, 02:00 PM by Octavia » Logged

Vhekadla Yustapir

• Aliit Ori'shya Tal'din
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Family events Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2021, 12:39 PM »
One suggestion about making white less harsh is to use a cover coat. I used that myself. My kit is white, but it has a coat on it not too dissimilar in effect as the NFL team, Carolina Panther's helmet which mute's the white to more of an ivory color.

Welcome to Arqet! You might not know this but your color scheme is that of the clan's. We don't have a lot of green kits (the irony), it tends to run blue, red, yellow theme'd. I think it's a running competition/joke of the color scheme's with each other. Green, black, white, and brown is a perfectly complementary color scheme and I am looking forward to working with you on the ideas for your build.

It's good to keep it all in mind as your concept will change as you execute and are inspired. It's a journey that even OM's continue to improve on.

Are you planning on having a weathered or shiny kit?

Arqet Clan
Alor’ad: 2022-Present , Ruus’alor Sol’yc: 2020-2021, Ruus’alor: 2020

"Inspire others to weather adversity and cultivate growth through empathy and leadership, so that every person may be empowered to reach for their stars."

Path to Brigade:  Armor Thread
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2021, 04:02 PM »
I will have to look into the cover coat - thank you! 

I am still up in the air on weathered vs. shiny.  I don't want heavily weathered if I go that route, but I know there are some rules/standards I would need to meet regarding consistency of weathering and realism.  I'm also debating if the 'character' I've been building up in my head would be the type to keep a touched up kit or let it age naturally.  I suspect that will be something I have to play with once I get paint on armor.

One suggestion about making white less harsh is to use a cover coat. I used that myself. My kit is white, but it has a coat on it not too dissimilar in effect as the NFL team, Carolina Panther's helmet which mute's the white to more of an ivory color.

Welcome to Arqet! You might not know this but your color scheme is that of the clan's. We don't have a lot of green kits (the irony), it tends to run blue, red, yellow theme'd. I think it's a running competition/joke of the color scheme's with each other. Green, black, white, and brown is a perfectly complementary color scheme and I am looking forward to working with you on the ideas for your build.

It's good to keep it all in mind as your concept will change as you execute and are inspired. It's a journey that even OM's continue to improve on.

Are you planning on having a weathered or shiny kit?

Tramp Graphics

• Illustrator
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2021, 05:20 PM »
IMO, go shiny. While weathered might look “cool”, it’s also the sign of gear that wasn’t properly maintained, and, therefore, likely to fail at a critical moment.

When I was in the Army, we were required to keep our gear clean and serviceable at all times. Any damaged gear had to be repaired or replaced, any chips in the paint repainted, any holes in our BDUs sewn up, etc.

Fenn Beviin

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2021, 09:27 PM »
IMO, go shiny. While weathered might look “cool”, it’s also the sign of gear that wasn’t properly maintained, and, therefore, likely to fail at a critical moment.

When I was in the Army, we were required to keep our gear clean and serviceable at all times. Any damaged gear had to be repaired or replaced, any chips in the paint repainted, any holes in our BDUs sewn up, etc.

Tell that to Boba Fett haha

Weathered means lived in and also fits more in the Star Wars aesthetics. There are very few clean looking screen costumes from the OT ;)

Mythos Fenn Arms (A Sales Thread): https://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=174182.msg2066382#new

Blaster Addiction - So many Blasters: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=110659.msg1820500

Tramp Graphics

• Illustrator
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2021, 12:09 AM »
Tell that to Boba Fett haha

Weathered means lived in and also fits more in the Star Wars aesthetics. There are very few clean looking screen costumes from the OT ;)

To a point, I agree. However, there is a difference between lived in and beat to Hades and back, BofA Fett’s armor in ESB and ROtJ was the latter, his armor in the last two episodes of The Mandalorian season 2 was the former. It still had the dents and dings, but they were cleaned up and painted over. Jango Fett’s armor in AotC was the former.  Sabine Wren’s was the former, Din Djarin’s first armor was the latter, and he replaced that armor little by little whenever he could so that his second armor became more and more the former, even making sure it was properly repaired after the battle of Nevaro, so that by Season 2, his armor is clean, shiny and undamaged.

Matchstick1021

• Your Daily Splash of Orange
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year.
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2021, 01:07 AM »

Paint chips. Beskar? Not so much.

It’s really up to what you like Octavia, I know some great looking shiny kits, I also know of some great looking weathered ones. Personally I’m a fan of the weathering, it’s my favorite part of the build. But it’s different for everyone.

As long as you keep the consistency of your weathering even across your kit you won’t have any issues.

Sucking at something is the first step towards being sort of good at something.
MMCC#2424
Rancor Clan
Traffic Cone #38

Fenn Beviin

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2021, 09:51 AM »

Paint chips. Beskar? Not so much.

It’s really up to what you like Octavia, I know some great looking shiny kits, I also know of some great looking weathered ones. Personally I’m a fan of the weathering, it’s my favorite part of the build. But it’s different for everyone.

As long as you keep the consistency of your weathering even across your kit you won’t have any issues.

Agreed. Do what you love. We are biased though as good weathering really tells a story.

Also, I would assume the Clone Wars and Rebels style Mandos aren't weathered mostly for the sake of animation difficulties - I would imagine keeping that consistent for the animation team would have been quite difficult. Also I don't know if you could really use season 2 Din as an example - his plates are pure beskar and do not have a paint job. If they were painted, I would imagine that they show would have him repaint them literally every time he takes some sort of damage from an enemy weapon. I am sure Boba Fett will be the same in the Book of Boba - he'll probably get dirty again so his armor and paint will tell the story of his adventures as well.

But time will tell!!

Tramp Graphics

• Illustrator
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2021, 11:24 AM »
Agreed. Do what you love. We are biased though as good weathering really tells a story.

Also, I would assume the Clone Wars and Rebels style Mandos aren't weathered mostly for the sake of animation difficulties - I would imagine keeping that consistent for the animation team would have been quite difficult. Also I don't know if you could really use season 2 Din as an example - his plates are pure beskar and do not have a paint job. If they were painted, I would imagine that they show would have him repaint them literally every time he takes some sort of damage from an enemy weapon. I am sure Boba Fett will be the same in the Book of Boba - he'll probably get dirty again so his armor and paint will tell the story of his adventures as well.

But time will tell!!

I would disagree with your assessment of Clone Wars ans Rebels Mandos not being weathered because they’re animated. I work with 3D  CG rendering. Consistent weathering CG animated armor is as creating the proper texture map and applying it to the model. So, no, that’s  not why the Mandos in CW or Rebels didn’t wear weathered or damaged armor.  Dave Filoni even said that the Mandos in CW were suppposed to look like a proper military force. In the military, you maintain your gear. In Rebels, the same thing applied. These were people taking pride in their gear and properly maintaining it. This was exemplified by Sabine Wren, who routinely repainted her armor.

Does “weathering” tell a story? Sure, it can, if the story is that this person literally just stepped off the battlefield or out of the wild. But IMO, it also shows a character (not the role player) who doesn’t or can’t maintain his or her gear, or doesn’t care about his or her appearance. That’s what I saw with Boba Fett. He rarely took care of his armor. He never really cared how he looked, as long as his gear functioned. And what happened? His jet pack misfired at a critical junction, nearly killing him. So, I see his repainting of his armor as learning a valuable lesson: maintain your equipment:P

But, yes, to each his own.

Vhekadla Yustapir

• Aliit Ori'shya Tal'din
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Family events Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2021, 01:15 PM »
Glad we agreed to disagree. I know a lot of people have strong opinions on weathering vs. not, and that is perfectly okay!

From a purely technical standpoint the reason I ask is to forecast what your interests are. Some recruits are building with brigades in mind which have their own crls that aren't visible, but we as Ruus and RS's are able to help think through the concepts with the following caveat. "Build not for brigade, but for OM with brigade in mind." Some of the CRL's have specific color's allowed but not others, some have certain weathering requirements. It's different per. For example, I'm building towards Force Hunter/Heavy Assault. When I was planning my OM I went on the heavier side both for my build proportions and because I had a character mindset already in my head and it helped guide my principals.

That said just to consider if you do decide to weather there are many different techniques and options but it boils down to a handful of approaches from my experience. I'm going to try and keep it high level.

• Shiny, well kept: - This is an option and we encourage sealing your kit to help reduce on regular maintenance. Accidents happen, you run around for fun action shots, or in parades and your gear will naturally wear and tear. To Tramp Graphics point, it does require upkeep because in order to stay in compliance things must remain consistent or need regular touch up and care. Not dissimilar to how the 501st Legion Stormtroopers and Vader has to maintain an extremely specific appearance. Not everyone will wish to or even have the time available to upkeep to that degree.
  • Planned Weathering: - This is an option where you plan your weathering as you go, with distressed gear. Multiple paint layers, using toothpaste/latex/gum, whatever the approach to spraypaint over and remove so it shows scuffs and dings and add sand washes, black washes, concrete washes, roll in mud and seal, whichever to add dirt and grime. This requires some planning as you can overweather or make it look too planned.
  • Natural Weathering: - This is a simpler and more organic approach to the planned one. Typically you take your shiny kit, where you've added several layers (maybe a base coat, a black (scratches or dents show carbon scoring with some extra detailing), silver for Beskar, then your main paints and do a simple wash, a blackwash for example and some distress/dirtying to your leather parts and soft parts to the level of your choice. But you do not seal it. Your armor takes hits, scratches, etc over time and develops its own story based on your actions in real-time, vs a planned back story.
    (i.e. scrambling up a 6 foot retaining wall in full kit to escape high tide because you mixed up the distance to the restaurant from the convention center, the seasons in your head and all access points to the shoreline above were destroyed by a recent hurricane. I totally am not speaking from experience here.  :laugh:)

Whatever you decide to do, as all are completely acceptable under the CRL's, we're here to support you, help with techniques if you don't know them, or point you to folks who do know options. My belief has always been your kit is a reflection of your soul, who you are, or the character you are trying to portray. Whatever the angle you choose to take it should be a fun journey with a lot to learn, or even teach us new things along the way.  :D

« Last Edit: May 04, 2021, 01:20 PM by Vhekadla Yustapir » Logged
Arqet Clan
Alor’ad: 2022-Present , Ruus’alor Sol’yc: 2020-2021, Ruus’alor: 2020

"Inspire others to weather adversity and cultivate growth through empathy and leadership, so that every person may be empowered to reach for their stars."

Path to Brigade:  Armor Thread

Kurshi BeJahaal

• I don't roll on Shabbos. ב"ה
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2021, 10:20 PM »
Lots of great insight here. I'm a big fan of weathered kits because I just think they look a bit more realistic and in-universe. Depending on what you perceive your character doing.

Will they constantly be out on a mission or job? Are they entrenched in war? Do they have the luxury of taking breaks and keeping their armor pristinely painted and maintained? Or do they eat, sleep and live in that kit?

Whatever you choose, keep it consistent in all your plates and soft parts and you'll be good.

MMCC #1484¦¦64 Career Invasions¦¦Rancor Clan
Helmet Scratch Build||Beskar||Privateer||Protector
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2021, 04:05 PM »
Wow!  Thank you for all the insight to the weathered vs shiney options - I was away for a little with a sick kid, so I came back to quite a read!  Since I plan to start on soft layers first, I can spend some time thinking up my character more in depth and see if I have a brigade end goal to work towards, which should help me decide how I want to proceed on the paint and armor look  :cookie:

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!