Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Kall's quick and easy Binders

• 1 Replies

Kall

• Run and you'll just die tired.
Kall's quick and easy Binders
« on: May 01, 2021, 12:29 PM »
This is my quick and easy binder build. I did this all in about 1 afternoon with materials I had on hand.
Materials used
3 inch PVC pipe
1.5 Inch hinges
neodymium magnets (not sure what size I had)
decorative chain from an old hanging lamp
Window insulation to cushion the interior

I cut several PVC pieces to the desired width, I did approx. 2 inches.

From some of the round pieces I cut the outer raised pieces

After I had everything cut how I liked I trimmed and sanded edges and glued the pieces on with contact cement.

Next was painting the binders. I used a dark metallic paint and semi gloss clear coat I had on hand from another project. I painted the binders first, because I wanted them to be scuffed up and weathered when finished.

After that set I lined up the hinges and screwed them into place. Once the hinges were set, I marked where to put the magnets by putting a dot of paint on one side of the opening and closed the binder. I drilled a shallow hole for the magnets and set them in using super glue.

After the binders were set I cut the chain to the desired length and cut one link in the center, giving me 2 half links. I measured and marked where to attach the links and drilled a hole all the way through. Luckily the links were just a tad larger than the drilled hole so they were a very tight fit. I put a dab of super glue in the holes and set the links, with chain attached, using a rubber mallet.

After that I did some minor paint touch ups and added the padding in the binders for comfort (these are for fun and prop use after all)

They turned out pretty decent for an afternoon project. Only negative is that with the padding the will not fit larger wrists.

Re: Kall's quick and easy Binders
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2021, 02:00 PM »
This is awesome and thanks for posting! Gonna have to try this!

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!