Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Ravlin Todric's Assorted Arsenal - Weapons, Bits, and Trophies

• 3 Replies

Ravlin Todric

• We can do this the easy way, or the fun way.
I've decided to start this equipment and accessories WIP, particularly in view of a Clan workshop.

If you've ever met Ravlin Todric, you may know he keeps some strange things lying around. Sure, most of them are useful, but some aren't. Whether you've popped over to his house and workshop over on Vlemoth Port, or been on board his old Skipray, or seen his cabin and desk on the Flyby Knight, you've probably noticed one or two of the items below in various states of (dis)repair or gathering dust on a half-forgotten shelf. If you ask about them, you'll find there's a story behind - or at least related to - each one.

SECTOR RANGER BADGE
I would actually like to move this to another post in this thread slightly later, but to avoid double-posting in one night I'll put it here for now. Or I'll change my mind and not move it at all.

The Sector Rangers occasionally show up in the Expanded Universe, but not often enough to really get a good description of their badges - or whether they have them at all. At any rate, this build is inspired by these two reference images on Wookieepedia:

From Star Wars Insider 67

From Star Wars Gamer 8

To be fair, one is probably based upon the other. At any rate, I'll be making this based off the shoulder insignia - a silver shield with a gold triangle on it.

I'll be making this out of 3mm Sintra:

Tools and a strip of Sintra.

I roughed out the design in Illustrator - for simplicity, I designed it in scale. Then I drew out my reference lines:

Cut out:

Triangle cut out:

Sanded and loosely placed together:

I may still put a gold border on the shield, but I'm not sure how at the moment. That's a problem for tomorrow.

Contrary to appearances, I do not, in fact, have any idea what I am doing.

Usually.

Ravlin Todric

Re: Ravlin Todric's Assorted Arsenal - Weapons, Bits, and Trophies
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2021, 03:19 AM »
Well, as per usual, I wound up doing something I didn't like to my first one, and so remade it. Here's the second one's progress:

After experimenting with a Dremel to attain a border, and failing miserably, I remembered my combination square has a scribing tool. On the new badge, I used a compass to mark a border of consistent width and then carefully went over it with the scribe. Success! I then carved the triangle out in the center.

Then some sanding, and then sandable primer:

Also included is the belt clip from a dead tape measure. How I'm going to attach it, I don't know yet.

Pro tip: sandable primer ain't sandable until it cures. Nominally, I knew this. I ignored it. Then I regretted ignoring it and put on another coat of primer. Now I know it firsthand. I make mistakes so you don't have to!

After waiting for the primer to cure a bit, I masked off the inner "backing" and sprayed the border and triangle in gold:

Tomorrow, the aluminum goes on the center, and then it's to weathering. And adding the requisite Mando'a "V" for the trophy workshop.

I experimented on a scrap piece with etching and masking the words "Sector Ranger" (in Aurebesh, don't worry), but I didn't have good results with the mask-and-paint using the masking paint as a stencil. My letters were too small - the paint didn't really go through the slots in the tape. Scribing them worked great, but I forgot to do that before I primed it. Oops.

Any tips for a good way to transfer those words to the badge? Hand-painting is definitely an option - not intimidating for me, as long as I pencil the characters first - but I'd like to see if I can find a different way that gives it some other kind of personality and depth.

Usually.
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2021, 12:42 PM »
If you already have the negative stencil for the wording on there, try a painted sponge or similar to color in the stencil. I find that works better than spray on finer detail items.

If you know anyone with a Cricut printer, those are fantastic for cutting stencils and other fine lettering needs. If the stencil doesn't work out, perhaps you can get the positive image of the words and place them as a raised letter...granted the raised height would be vinyl thickness and they would definately need to be sealed on to the piece. 

“Draa Hocon”
MMCC #2285, Wolves of Mandalor #60, MVS #97
UM WIP, Brigade WIP, Bo-Katan Belts, Sabine Holster, DW Leathers WIP

Ravlin Todric

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2021, 09:41 PM »
Ooh, I do know someone with a Cricut. Whether I can access it in time is another matter. For the moment, I'm going to forego the lettering, but I think I'm going to make another of these some other time and include the "Sector Ranger" and maybe even an "Instrop" (sector of jurisdiction) and a badge number.

The masking worked!

And now, the same process in reverse: mask the gold, paint the silvery aluminum. Also pictured, the first badge that I "ruined", then salvaged. The back was still untouched - so I etched that.

Note that no matter what I do, I always seem to inadvertently mis-etch the right side of the triangle. No, that ain't deliberate, it's a mistake. I don't know how to fix it, but I figure it makes it look beat up, so why not leave it? Besides, I can remake these easily.

Then the weathering - the fun part! I used black and brown hobby acrylics - in hindsight I should've used brown more than black. I just grabbed a brush, watered down some paint, and slathered it on. Then I pulled it back off. Rinse and repeat. Standard weathering job.

As the final touch, I added a deliberately sloppy Mando'a "V", which is for the 5th Year of the Wolves clan. That's a requirement for the trophy workshop, and while I was hesitant to add it, I think it's important that certain things aren't as we want them. That's the real world - you don't generally design your own trinkets or memorabilia. At least, I don't, because I don't have a 3d printer.

Last thing to do is add the belt clip. Other than that, it's finished.

Usually.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!