Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Heavy-ish helmet build

• 6 Replies
Heavy-ish helmet build
« on: May 07, 2021, 05:13 PM »
Thought I would give this a go. I need the practice on post print work if I want to get approved.

Went with a HIM helmet file. I think I'll drop my layer height next time. It will make for a much longer print time, but the layer lines won't be as bad.
 I printed in two parts, which I won't do again. I had trouble getting it to fit right. A hair dryer and carful pressure helped. I used bondo and fiberglass cloth on the inside to hold it together. I put the excess bondo on the outside to help cover the layer lines. Then a quick sand.

Next was some woodputty. I let it dry overnight and sanded it. (no image) then a coat of sand-able filler primer.

Most sanding and primer. Then white base coat. Masking it off.

Time for the next coat.

Re: Heavy-ish helmet build
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2021, 05:56 PM »
Time for the ear caps! Printed and first coat of primer.

Free battle damage! A piece broke off when removing rafts and supports. I'll partially fill, but leave it a little chipped off.

More sanding and another coat of primer.

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2021, 01:56 PM »
Blue and black added. I like how the black looks like mandibles.

Still working on the ear caps and haven't decided on a visor.

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2021, 03:05 PM »
Need some touch up, a wash, and a visor and it is pretty much done.

Constructive feedback welcome.

Vercopaanir

• Fix'em or Finish'em
  • Awards Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Award for 50 official invasions. Medic Brigade Member Special Operations Brigade Member Special Weapons
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2021, 06:00 PM »
I too like the black in the arches of the cheeks.  ;)

Question about your damage on the left side of your helmet.  It's on the ear cap and in the lowest part of the cheek, so what caused it?  Curious because usually I see damage on the edges and high points (usually spots of first contact) so I was wondering what happened to you.  :)

I know you said you still had touch ups and weathering and that will really tie it all together.  You also said you had some trouble fitting the bits all together, so I am guessing that the seam that is in the back is where you joined them because it looks just a touch off.  The perfectly smooth blue paint (seriously smooth and gorgeous  :<3:) and maybe the photo angle made me notice it. 

And one last thing...gonna color the triangles?  Really make 'em stand out?  Or are you going for the subtle Mando details that you only see once you get close?

Ursa Wren WIP
WIP Armor
WIP Helmet
WIP Weapons [url=https://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2021, 06:42 PM »
Question about your damage on the left side of your helmet.  It's on the ear cap and in the lowest part of the cheek, so what caused it?  Curious because usually I see damage on the edges and high points (usually spots of first contact) so I was wondering what happened to you.  :)

Good catch. To be honest, the cheek is where I put tape off to mask it before it was completely dry. I liked the randomness of how it looked so I kept it. I'm calling it hit from a chain attack. Dropped the chin to protect the neck and got hit on the cheek.

There isn't much weathering on the helmet itself and I'm going to change that. Trying to decide where to add it. And haven't decided to fill in the triangles. Maybe white to make the blue pop.

As for the back of the helmet, the line is the join, and is more noticeable because of angle and reflection. When I weather it, it will be more subtle.

Thanks for your input. I'm going to step away from it for a couple days and get at it with fresh eyes.

Celtkhan

• Want some soup?
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2021, 12:06 AM »
The most obvious issue I see is with your whites. White tends to have problems covering a dark undercoat, so it’s really obvious when applied unevenly. It also tends to be really stark, so uneven edges are also really obvious; I can see wavy lines on both your mohawk ridge and your cheeks. The mohawk can be covered over with touchups, washes, and weathering. The cheeks will need a steady hand cleaning up unless you just use paint-chip weathering where the colors meet to hide it.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!