Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Question about where to find relatively inexpensive Expanded PVC sheets

• 12 Replies
Su'cuy!

I have been looking around attempting to find some Expanded PVC for a few kits I want to build, some to be verified and others for my personal non-merc costumes. However, I cannot for the life of me find sheets that are large enough for some of the larger pieces of my beskar that are inexpensive. Most sheets I have found that are large enough are roughly $50+USD for a single sheet.

Any help would be appreciated, thank you!

Runi Prudiise

• Chaab Purdiise val naumiit kyr'am
i ordered mine off Amazon got two sheets 24"x48" for 50 and it will be more than enough for my armor build.

She/her they/them QMU 093

Chaab Purdiise val naumiit kyr'am.
At some Lowe's stores you can find 48"x96"x3/8" sheets for ~$80.  At mine, they are along the back wall with the wood paneling under the trim and curtain rods.  If they don't have it, or don't keep it in stock, you could probably get it shipped to store for free and pick it up then.

***IMPORTANT***
3/8" ≈ 9mm

"...go go go!  Oya!" - Ordo

Nayc vericoaan a'mhi. Nayc kar'galan, a'mhi. Nayc tor; Shi Mhi

There is no hope, but us.  There is no mercy, but us.  There is no justice;  there's just us.
Thank you so much for responding! I had ordered 2 sheets of 12"x12" from amazon and they just arrived a few minutes ago.

As soon as they arrived I realized I am going to need much larger sheets  :laugh:

Hi, I'm in Italy, I order from this site, it has thicknesses and dimensions, of any size you need. I don't know if they also ship abroad, and any shipping costs. But help can always help

http://ilmiopannello.it

spesso sei come una foglia in balia degli elementi, ti muovi seguendo il vento ma non sai mai che succede, e perché succede, segui solo il vento.

The child who plays grows, the adult who stops playing ages (E. Montale)
At some Lowe's stores you can find 48"x96"x3/8" sheets for ~$80.  At mine, they are along the back wall with the wood paneling under the trim and curtain rods.  If they don't have it, or don't keep it in stock, you could probably get it shipped to store for free and pick it up then.

***IMPORTANT***
3/8" ≈ 9mm

What about the PVC Ceiling tiles?  Are those useable to form armor?

What about the PVC Ceiling tiles?  Are those useable to form armor?

I haven't looked closely at them in the store.  I didn't know about them before now, to tell the truth.  However, the two I'm finding on the Lowe's Website are 15/16" (~23mm) thick, so almost an inch.  That's a lot of mass to arm up to work with, and a lot of weight over the entire kit.  Could be awesome, though.

Probably a question for App team or a Rus whether there is an upper limit to plate thickness. 

"...go go go!  Oya!" - Ordo

Nayc vericoaan a'mhi. Nayc kar'galan, a'mhi. Nayc tor; Shi Mhi

There is no hope, but us.  There is no mercy, but us.  There is no justice;  there's just us.
I haven't looked closely at them in the store.  I didn't know about them before now, to tell the truth.  However, the two I'm finding on the Lowe's Website are 15/16" (~23mm) thick, so almost an inch.  That's a lot of mass to arm up to work with, and a lot of weight over the entire kit.  Could be awesome, though.

Probably a question for App team or a Rus whether there is an upper limit to plate thickness.

Thanks.  I haven't done armor before, so I wanted to check with someone with more experience before buying something that wouldn't work well.

jthommes

• Awards EnviroOps Special Operations Brigade Member Family events
In the U.S. the Sintra can be found at sign shops such as 'Fast Signs'  More expensive than online though....

Vorpan
After a long time of experimenting and researching. I ended up finding a possible great solution! I found PALIGHT foamed PVC sheets with dimensions of 24" x 48" at Lowes.com for only $36! They also sell Black colored sheets for only $30!

I believe these will work for my kit as well as other projects, but if there are any other great options I'd gladly like to know of them!

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Palight-White-Foam-PVC-Sheet-Actual-24-in-x-48-in/1000088585

I got mine from Johnson Plastics Plus.  One sheet 24"x48" at 6mm thick was $16.20 before tax and shipping.  $8.00 before tax and shipping for 3mm thick. 
Here's a link:
https://www.jpplus.com/sintra-bright-white-sheet

I think some one on here told me about this place, but I cant find the post anymore...

OriKad

• The Grizzled Old Sergeant of Mav Oya'la Clan
  • Awards Force Hunter Brigade Member Special Weapons 267th Rapid Assault Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Airmobile brigade member

Since it was mentioned, I might as well answer as a Ruus:  There isn't a CRL upper limit to plate thickness.  There IS a practical and reasonable upper limit, and that's approximately 9mm.  Below that thickness, it's largely a matter of personal preference.  Some people think 6mm plates are more realistic because of ballistic armor.  Some people think 3mm is more realistic since nobody in history ever made body armor any thicker than it absolutely needs to be.  Some people take the 6mm thickness and add even more thickness... and then there's Dresdon, in a class of his own.

I got mine from Johnson Plastics Plus.  One sheet 24"x48" at 6mm thick was $16.20 before tax and shipping.  $8.00 before tax and shipping for 3mm thick. 
Here's a link:
https://www.jpplus.com/sintra-bright-white-sheet

I think some one on here told me about this place, but I cant find the post anymore...

Holy crap! That is a whole lot cheaper than whaf I found for 3mm and 6mm. Thank you very much Vod!

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!