Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Bowfannyís Helmet wip(pic heavy first post)

• 5 Replies

Bowfanny

• When in doubt, be kind.
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions.
Bowfannyís Helmet wip(pic heavy first post)
« on: Mar 23, 2021, 03:05 AM »
Okay so itís been at least a year since I made a helmet wip. I know itís not the first helmet Iíve done in a while but I felt like it was time to get back to my roots as a Mando and put what I consider my face back in place. Pre Vizsla season 4/5 from TCW. All time favorite bucket. This version was printed via Liquid Sunís files heís made avaialable on Thingiverse.
Starting off we've got a scale render in 3d builder because I was tinkering with some things.

Cheeky!

Trying out a new smoothing technique Iíve been playing with for a few weeks on other things-stick around and find out what!

Little more smoothing and a comparison to my bucket that itís replacing due to compliance issues with a visor and frankly I wanted a new helmet since itís been ages since I changed it and want to get back to the face I feel best represents me.

Next up thereís now a pair of cheeks!
Side by side with the smoothing technique-yes Iím smoothing lines as I print the thing!

Smoothing

Dome pieces next

Mind you these pieces are running at around 13 to 15 hours each on a CR10s printer.

Initial tape up- other ear base on the printer as these were being taken-

Second ear base done by the next morning!

Top/front and sides all taped up!

Found the 3d pen that I hid from myself and used the smoothing devices Iíve been testing

These pieces are evil

I took the heatgun to them and rounded them out a bit(worked a bit but they still bite)

Surprise guest-will be in the trading station as soon as I have a little time to Mould the little guy!

Back at it, didnít like the original file so I split it along the vertical and mirrored it so that both feom and back were the same!

Second side done like magic!

Not comparing sharpies to ear cannons over here, nope!

Sneaky sneaky sharpie snap fit into the cannon totally wanted to do it but it was simply luck that it worked out!

Both sides!!

And thatís all Iíve got for now!

Oh yeah!! The super cool smoothing devices!!!

Theyíre cabinet scrapers and you can knock the print lines down really quickly without damaging the parts too badly!
Iíve not sanded the helmet yet Iím just now prepping the ear cannons to get smoothed so once those are ready Iíll get the earcaps and cannons glued together so that the whole helmet can be resin coated. Now the whole helmet has been welded with a 3d print pen with the scrap filament off the roll I used for most of the helmet until I got to the ears so it should be really sturdy as is. Iím just resin coating so that it back fills some imperfections. Then Iíll sand it and do some bondo if necessary!

QMU#084
Re: Bowfannyís Helmet wip(pic heavy first post)
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2021, 09:39 PM »
Nice work mate 👍🏻 Bucket looks good...any more progress? I like the experimentation...thinking outside the norm with the smoothing the print lines...I like it
What's plans for rest of the bucket...paint job..colours, electronics?

Bowfanny

• Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2021, 04:58 AM »
Nice work mate 👍🏻 Bucket looks good...any more progress? I like the experimentation...thinking outside the norm with the smoothing the print lines...I like it
What's plans for rest of the bucket...paint job..colours, electronics?
Thanks Vod!
Little bit of progress. Got the base paint color on, now I just need to figure out what other colors I am actually going to add.

Also got the acrylic visor shaped to fit, need to add tint next to get it to the dark shade necessary to hide my mug.

And thatís where itís at for the moment. Have to fix a couple spots but Iíve decided Iím going to add a forehead bit to it too just for a little more reinforcement.

QMU#084
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2021, 11:29 AM »
Looking good, Kermit green 👌🏻
I'd go a black or grey....gun metal grey
going to add anything extra? ...bit of customising? Something like a bordon?

Desago

• Keep your wits sharp, and your blade sharper.
  • Awards Award for 100 official invasions. 150 troops 267th Rapid Assault 15+ clan level invasions 40+ hrs of Charity Work
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2021, 12:22 PM »
I have a set of cabinet scapers and they work great from prep work.

Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya. - "Train your sons to be strong but your daughters to be stronger."
L.O.B # 22 | M.A.J.I.C # 166 |M.A.D. # 72 | M.T.S (Mando-Tough) # 89 | S.P.A.R.C.K. # 19 | M.A.C.K # 37| O.O.P.S.! # 27

Bowfanny

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2021, 03:39 PM »
Looking good, Kermit green 👌🏻
I'd go a black or grey....gun metal grey
going to add anything extra? ...bit of customising? Something like a bordon?
Jungle green according to the can but Kermit is fine too lol
Iím actually considering more obnoxious color combinations like hot pink and purple or what not! Ref has also crossed my mind again as itís been a combo Iíve used with neon green in the past.
So far Iíve considered a pilot style brow plate but have yet to make any moves towards doing one. I eventually want to add a masked portion that slots up into the helmet and fits my face so that the mask is part of the character and can be used with the pilot styling for fun.

QMU#084

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!