Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Custom Knife

• 13 Replies
Custom Knife
« on: May 24, 2021, 12:30 AM »
Hey everyone! I've recently been wanting to incorporate some sort of combat knife into my Mando costume, and I was thinking of holstering it on the outside of my left calf. I was wondering if this knife would be a good base to use.

There's some lettering that I would need to sand off, I would have to repaint it, and I was thinking about adding some sort of leather wrapping around the handle. I would love to hear your thoughts!

Re: Custom Knife
« Reply #1 on: Jun 07, 2021, 04:41 PM »
I would take the blade off (any way you can) and fashion a new handle for it. The existing one is cartoonishly oversized and bulky.

Tramp Graphics

• Illustrator
« Reply #2 on: Jun 07, 2021, 06:37 PM »
I would take the blade off (any way you can) and fashion a new handle for it. The existing one is cartoonishly oversized and bulky.

I’ve seen worse on real knives.

« Reply #3 on: Jun 10, 2021, 08:17 AM »
I really think you can go a lot creative with the handle. It looks too basic!

« Reply #4 on: Jun 28, 2021, 08:27 AM »
I’ve seen worse on real knives.

True, but those tend to be wall hanger fantasy knives or cheap crap, but on good, quality models, the handle is a lot more proportional.

Tramp Graphics

• Illustrator
« Reply #5 on: Jun 28, 2021, 11:55 AM »
True, but those tend to be wall hanger fantasy knives or cheap crap, but on good, quality models, the handle is a lot more proportional.

I don’t know about that. I’ve seen plenty of larger handles on fully functional knives (and swords), not wall-hangers. It happens on Forged in Fire quite often, particularly if the blade-smith has large hands.

« Reply #6 on: Jul 03, 2021, 07:49 PM »
I don’t know about that. I’ve seen plenty of larger handles on fully functional knives (and swords), not wall-hangers. It happens on Forged in Fire quite often, particularly if the blade-smith has large hands.
Forged in Fire is a stress-based reality TV show, and is not an accurate representation of quality knife construction. Swords are also poor comparisons to knives, as they have longer, heavier blades. The hilt design also varies based on the sword type. Knives tend to have hilts that are proportional to the blade length, width, and thickness. A good example to follow is the K-BAR, or any other military-issue combat knife. You're hilt will usually be about half the overall length and not greatly exceed its width (edge to spine).

Tramp Graphics

• Illustrator
« Reply #7 on: Jul 03, 2021, 08:08 PM »
The key word there is “tend”. It’s not universal. That’s my point.

« Reply #8 on: Jul 12, 2021, 09:11 AM »
The key word there is “tend”. It’s not universal. That’s my point.

It isn't universal, no. But it is common enough to be considered universal - to borrow an engineering expression - for all practical purposes. In this case, a new hilt would make the knife look more realistic and better proportioned, and less like a cheap Halloween prop.

Tramp Graphics

• Illustrator
« Reply #9 on: Jul 12, 2021, 11:28 AM »
It isn't universal, no. But it is common enough to be considered universal - to borrow an engineering expression - for all practical purposes. In this case, a new hilt would make the knife look more realistic and better proportioned, and less like a cheap Halloween prop.

Once again, I disagree. I’ve seen more than enough “exceptions” to say that no, it is not, “ for all intents and purposes” universal.

« Reply #10 on: Jul 15, 2021, 08:10 AM »
Once again, I disagree. I’ve seen more than enough “exceptions” to say that no, it is not, “ for all intents and purposes” universal.

The exceptions prove the rule. A handful of exceptions do not disprove my assertion. I can find more knives that follow this rule than I can those that do not. In  any case, I'm simply making a recommendation that will help your vibroknife look less like a cheap costume prop and more like a functional weapon.

Tramp Graphics

• Illustrator
« Reply #11 on: Jul 15, 2021, 11:36 AM »
The exceptions prove the rule. A handful of exceptions do not disprove my assertion. I can find more knives that follow this rule than I can those that do not. In  any case, I'm simply making a recommendation that will help your vibroknife look less like a cheap costume prop and more like a functional weapon.

And I’m saying that all it needs is the right paint job. The handle is fine as is. One exception may “prove” a rule, so to speak. Multiple repeated exceptions disprove it. And I haven’t been talking about only a few. I’ve seen many examples of blades with what you consider to be “disproportionately large” handles. There is no rule that says a handle must be a certain size compared to the blade.

« Reply #12 on: Jul 15, 2021, 12:17 PM »
And I’m saying that all it needs is the right paint job. The handle is fine as is. One exception may “prove” a rule, so to speak. Multiple repeated exceptions disprove it. And I haven’t been talking about only a few. I’ve seen many examples of blades with what you consider to be “disproportionately large” handles. There is no rule that says a handle must be a certain size compared to the blade.

Except multiple examples do not disprove anything, if those examples are still in the minority of cases - which, in this case, they are. And it is, effectively, a rule, as a larger hilt affects the balance point of a knife, shifting it towards the pommel. A well-balanced knife has its balance point at, or just forward of, the guard. That is why good knives tend to have hilts that are close to the same length as the blade, if not a bit shorter. Hence why it is comparatively rare to see a quality knife with a hilt that is disproportionately larger or longer than the blade, especially on combat knives. You want a well-balanced knife; if you have larger hands, then you need a longer blade to maintain proper balance. The best example to follow is military combat knives, like those made by SOG, K-Bar, Besh, and others.

Ultimately, it is their decision, not ours. I am not going to argue about this any further. I made my suggestion, and my case for that suggestion.

Tramp Graphics

• Illustrator
« Reply #13 on: Jul 15, 2021, 01:41 PM »
Except multiple examples do not disprove anything, if those examples are still in the minority of cases - which, in this case, they are. And it is, effectively, a rule, as a larger hilt affects the balance point of a knife, shifting it towards the pommel. A well-balanced knife has its balance point at, or just forward of, the guard. That is why good knives tend to have hilts that are close to the same length as the blade, if not a bit shorter. Hence why it is comparatively rare to see a quality knife with a hilt that is disproportionately larger or longer than the blade, especially on combat knives. You want a well-balanced knife; if you have larger hands, then you need a longer blade to maintain proper balance. The best example to follow is military combat knives, like those made by SOG, K-Bar, Besh, and others.

Ultimately, it is their decision, not ours. I am not going to argue about this any further. I made my suggestion, and my case for that suggestion.

That depends upon the style and purpose of the knife. A chopper is going to be more forward heavy than a carambit, for instance. A carambit has a handle that is typically larger than the blade, by the way, because of how it is designed to be used, just as the chopper has a significantly longer blade compared to the hilt. There are even some folding blades with absolutely huge blades and equally long handles. And, if you look at the Mandalorian Kal dagger, the blade and hilt are equal in lenght. So no, there is no universal standard for hilt to blade proportions. It all depends upon the individual design of the weapon and the preferences of the user. The most important factor is if the handle fits comfortably in the hand of the user.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!