Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Just a little help for a beginner

• 4 Replies
Just a little help for a beginner
« on: May 25, 2021, 03:23 PM »
So I'm getting materials ready to 3D print a helmet and I was just wondering what material is best for the visor? Should I try printing one in clear PLA material or find a film like in the UV wraps from the eye doctor?

Bryn Cin'Prudii

• ~What killed the dinosaurs? THE ICE AGE!
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Airmobile brigade member Shock Infantry Brigade Member Special Weapons EnviroOps
Re: Just a little help for a beginner
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2021, 03:28 PM »
Most folks use welding visor replacements or something like a clear acetate sheet with window tint applied.

Cerar Clan OM#1935 Tri-Division Brigade Member#262
Apply to Brigades here!
New Item Approval

Skrill

• Rudder's foundling (aka Gabe)
« Reply #2 on: Jun 16, 2021, 02:29 PM »
Is there any specific place or source for where we need to get the welding visors from?

Bryn Cin'Prudii

• ~What killed the dinosaurs? THE ICE AGE!
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Airmobile brigade member Shock Infantry Brigade Member Special Weapons EnviroOps
« Reply #3 on: Jun 16, 2021, 02:42 PM »
Is there any specific place or source for where we need to get the welding visors from?

I get mine from cyberweld, amazon, or harbor freight. Just as long as you can tint the color dark enough to obscure your face youll be fine.

Cerar Clan OM#1935 Tri-Division Brigade Member#262
Apply to Brigades here!
New Item Approval

Vanos Dak'win

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Award for 25 official invasions. Clan Growth
« Reply #4 on: Jun 16, 2021, 02:57 PM »
PETG or light plexi with window tint is better for visibility. A welding visor is really dark.
When I was in AZ I went by the local auto tint place. They gave me some scrapes free of charge. Depending on the state you may be able to find mirrored tint. This is usually for buildings. Limo tint can be purchased at auto parts stores and welding visor replacements can be found at Lowe’s Home Depot or harbor freight.
The thing I like about PETG is her can be cut easily, (lots of scoring passed) heated and shaped with out distortion. If you go this route make sure you apply soapy water a teaspoon in 32oz of water should do.
Then squeegee out the water and give it about 1/2 he to dry and you’re golden.
Cut just a little bigger than what you think you will need. You can always trim it down.
You can also make a template with masking tape.
Cover the inside of the visor area with two layers one vertical and one horizontal. Mark with a sharpie. Then peal off. Lay flat on what you are cutting straighten lines with a ruler and score with tape in place. Keep in mind that you will want to apply template to the back side of the visor this will be the inside of the helmet.
Hope this helped good luck. 🍀

Vanos Dak'Win
Mark Smedley

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!