Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

2nd Kit - Early Crusader Kal be Duun

• 25 Replies

Bade Duun

• Credits talk. I do not.
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Force Hunter Brigade Member Donated four quarters of 2024. Donated four quarters of 2023.
2nd Kit - Early Crusader Kal be Duun
« on: Jun 03, 2021, 10:37 PM »
Ready for initial stages of starting a 2nd kit, and I've been itching to do an Early Crusader for a long time.

Instead of it being a fresh build per say, I plan to tie each future kit into a family clan lineage. House Duun through the ages, if you will. As such, Duun will always rock the olive drab/red/brown. Kal Duun is no exception.

Just having fun with the builds, but we'll see how far I get with this, so feel free to take this ride with me.

Here is what I've gotten together so far:

Helmet and armor (thighs, knees and shoulders currently). PapaJoelDesigns designed the bucket.
Will be adding more as it gets assembled (bicep, forearm, ab), but was interested in painting bone.
It was my first time attempting it.

Bone knife. Still embellishing the cording.

Primordial Blaster, Old Republic Era (I believe this would be considered 'ancient' for an EC build?)

Flight Suit, still fitting/coloring/weathering.

Loincloth, made by a fellow clan mate.

Leather bracers with arm/leg wraps and vintage driving gloves. Wraps are dyed linen with a velcro backing, bracers will have a bone/pounded metal plate over the top

Chest armor. Still deciding on a back plate or a cloak.

With this being a very specific build type, any helpful critiques are much appreciated.

« Last Edit: Aug 24, 2021, 02:12 PM by Bade Duun » Logged

Qitaia

• I am Vel Qi'taia. This is the way.
Re: 2nd Kit - Early Crusader Kal Duun
« Reply #1 on: Jun 04, 2021, 01:19 PM »
This is really looking impressive. I love the helmet you went with, and the bone knife especially!

~Vel Qi'taia

Bade Duun

• Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Force Hunter Brigade Member Donated four quarters of 2024. Donated four quarters of 2023.
« Reply #2 on: Jun 04, 2021, 01:44 PM »
This is really looking impressive. I love the helmet you went with, and the bone knife especially!

Thanks for the feedback  :like:

Pyro

• I am the salsa verde!
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #3 on: Jun 04, 2021, 07:31 PM »
Is that bondo over the armor before the paint job?

Jedi Hunter WIP I Daimyo Boba WIP I Early Crusader WIP

I'm a Texan and Mandalorian, firearms are part of my religion

Bade Duun

« Reply #4 on: Jun 04, 2021, 07:45 PM »
Is that bondo over the armor before the paint job?

Negative.

It’s white paint over brown, and the white is lightly sanded off to expose the brown. Then it was light washes of brown and black.

Pyro

• I am the salsa verde!
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #5 on: Jun 04, 2021, 10:17 PM »
Negative.

It’s white paint over brown, and the white is lightly sanded off to expose the brown. Then it was light washes of brown and black.

So you just sanded the piece before paint?

Jedi Hunter WIP I Daimyo Boba WIP I Early Crusader WIP

I'm a Texan and Mandalorian, firearms are part of my religion

Bade Duun

« Reply #6 on: Jun 06, 2021, 11:43 PM »
Moving down the list of soft parts, I know I would like a heavy kama and possibly a hooded cloak/poncho. Had some remnant fabric left over from a past project and wanted something tattered with a little more weight.

After assembling I did a a deep, boiling dye of dark brown. Washed it twice then scored the ends many times before tossing into the dryer to fluff the distressed cuts

Front

Back

Here is what it looks like with the belt/loincloth setup. So far, I dig the color configuration and set up. :like:

Vercopaanir

• Fix'em or Finish'em
  • Awards Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Award for 50 official invasions. Medic Brigade Member Special Operations Brigade Member Special Weapons
« Reply #7 on: Jun 25, 2021, 09:46 AM »
The bone bucket is breathtaking!   :<3:  Softs look good too.  :like:

Ursa Wren WIP
WIP Armor
WIP Helmet
WIP Weapons [url=https://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=

Bade Duun

« Reply #8 on: Jul 16, 2021, 12:41 AM »
The bone bucket is breathtaking!   :<3:  Softs look good too.  :like:

Thanks for the feedback, always appreciated.

More updates on the overall kit. Added weathered cracks to give the armor some battle scars and to add contrast. Going to feather the cracks with an airbrush.

Also created some additional armor components:

Helmet cracks/weathering, as well as a helmet plume. Wanted to add my own touch by using hair similar to my own.

Ab plate

Gauntlets

Hand plates

Boot armor

Pauldrons. Keep on side of the armor darker bone. I think it'll help give the impression that the armor was pieced together over time. Models by PapaJoeDesigns

Here are most of the soft parts assembled, save for the cloak and without armor. Weathering the soft parts all at once when I have them together, and will begin placing armor once weathered cracks have been airbrushed and finalized.

« Last Edit: Jul 16, 2021, 01:32 AM by Bade Duun » Logged

Mandoreims

• Ibic Te Resol'nare
« Reply #9 on: Jul 16, 2021, 02:16 AM »
une véritable merveille. you're armor is amazing

Vercopaanir

• Fix'em or Finish'em
  • Awards Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Award for 50 official invasions. Medic Brigade Member Special Operations Brigade Member Special Weapons
« Reply #10 on: Jul 16, 2021, 08:17 AM »
 :o The cracks really add a nice depth.  :like:

Another thing about bone is that high touch areas get worn to a super smooth surface.  They will even pick up a natural shine.  Thinking about ivory or even antler handles that get this look.  Just throwing that out there as an idea. 

This kit is amazing! :porg2:

Ursa Wren WIP
WIP Armor
WIP Helmet

Bade Duun

« Reply #11 on: Jul 16, 2021, 08:23 AM »
:o The cracks really add a nice depth.  :like:

Another thing about bone is that high touch areas get worn to a super smooth surface.  They will even pick up a natural shine.  Thinking about ivory or even antler handles that get this look.  Just throwing that out there as an idea. 

This kit is amazing! :porg2:

Thanks vod  :boba:

And that's a very insightful observation... :8): I'll be keeping this one.
Didn't think about giving these a polished finished. It would work well with the texture too. Maybe a good wet sand then a satin clear coat to seal it all in.

Very nice, very good suggestion.

Bade Duun

« Reply #12 on: Jul 16, 2021, 11:16 PM »
une véritable merveille. you're armor is amazing

Merci pour tes gentils mots, mon ami.

Bade Duun

« Reply #13 on: Jul 20, 2021, 05:02 PM »
Got some ideas kicked over from clan mates, and my Alor 'ad suggested trying to make the chest and ab plate be of the same material.

I was initially inspired by Seugtai's kit (like many others before me) and was set on keeping the leather cuirass for material variation. Adds contrasts and layers to the kit, artistically and literally  ;D

However, the more I contemplated the aesthetic in my head, the more I was curious about how it would look...worst comes to worst, I can just keep Plan A.

I did a little research on styles of chest plates since almost every EC I could find are all very unique. So I reference a few to help springboard the idea and settled on a hybrid of a couple of the designs.

Got a good template cut out from poster board and traced it over 3m sintra, then took the heatgun and shaped it over my frame. Did a quick test fit with the template to make sure it didn't clash with the belt or collar area.

Put on a thick, uneven layer of Platinum Patch to act as the armor texture. This is like a very strong wood filler; sandable, paintable and good for outdoor/indoor use. I sort of treat it like bondo-lite. It is water based, can be diluted for easy spreading and doesn't have an offensive odor.

After it dried I took the orbital and palm sanders to it to smooth it out roughly with 100 grit, then again with 400 grit. This created a lot of texture variation with minimal effort, but  also removed the need to be overly concerned with the detail, which is important when trying to emulate an organic texture.

Once smoothed out, I applied washes of brown and black to age and weather the armor. Always a fun part.

After getting the look I was aiming for, I sealed the washes with a few thin clear coats before getting out the airbrush. I used the same colors I used for the aging step and deepened the tones on the cracks and grooves to give it some more contrast.

Thanks for the insight on bone aesthetics, Vercopaanir.  :like:

Looks like I am rocking bone armor all around, very glad that I took the plunge. Critiques and feedback from my fellow mercs are always appreciated.

« Last Edit: Jul 26, 2021, 07:00 PM by Bade Duun » Logged

Vercopaanir

• Fix'em or Finish'em
« Reply #14 on: Jul 21, 2021, 02:34 PM »
Always happy to help/inspire a fellow merc with the randomness of the the knowledge in my head.   ;D

Looks great!  Looking forward to seeing it all together. 

Ursa Wren WIP
WIP Armor
WIP Helmet

Bade Duun

« Reply #15 on: Jul 25, 2021, 05:39 PM »
Always happy to help/inspire a fellow merc with the randomness of the the knowledge in my head.   ;D

Looks great!  Looking forward to seeing it all together.

Thanks, and I appreciate your feedback. It has been very useful in helping me get there ;D

Was intially going to forego the flak vest since I was confident I could secure everything to the flight suit. However, with the addition of the new pauldrons, I needed something sturdier to attach the tether system to.

A modern flak vest felt too era specific, so I opted for a plate carrier conversion instead. I've also never tried the system and was interested in the challenge; I also thought I had a idea to help make it more form fitting.

First, I'd like to note how much salvageable material you can get from deconstructing one of these vests; velcro, canvas and straps, all the same color as the vest itself. Everything you see below was salvaged from the front and back pocket of the vest. There is more to salvage if you also deconstruct the ab straps.

With that in mind, I had an idea to make straps from the remnant material that would match the vest. The vest will be tucked under my sash slightly, and I worried that using leather straps and buckles would create weird bumps when fully kitted. The thin profile of the straps insures that they'll sit very evenly under the belts and sash. I took some 1.5" D-rings to make the straps secure with tension, which allows me to adjust to fit. Also decided to keep the shoulder straps as is since they're already very secure and will be hidden by my mantle and cloak. Will also need those thick straps when it is time to secure the tether for the pauldron.

After getting the length of the straps in place, I evened them out and installed button snaps to secure the loose fabric from dangling.

Here is how it looks with the other soft parts. The various hues being slowly added are enjoyable to watch evolve.

Gatorlorian

• Loyalty above all else. #OhLookAProject
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Beastmaster Brigade Member Donated four quarters of 2023. Award for 25 official invasions. 6 or more Education Points in a single year.
« Reply #16 on: Jul 27, 2021, 08:07 PM »
I'm absolutely loving your progress on all the things. Also, I'll totally take credit for kicking you into the chestplate rabbit hole. It turned out great. The dagger.... That's just shmexy as heck. 😍
The new vest... While it does look good, it (personal opinion) looks a bit on the modern side when layered (in my head) with the rest of your kit. Perhaps some leather accents to break up the plate carrier look of it? It could just be me.
Personally I liked the leather chest harness you had initially and would like to see you utilize that.
I'm also gonna request that you bring this kit to Dragon. I know a certain Reptilian Early Crusader that wants to do a shoot with you in this kit.
🐊

Fenn Beviin

• MMCC #: 2116
  • Awards Mandalorian Protector Brigade Member
« Reply #17 on: Jul 28, 2021, 10:25 AM »
Well this is looking fantastic.

Put it all on already and show us how it looks all together!!!  :laugh:

"Try not to become a man of success, but a man of value."

Instagram: mythos_fenn_shysa

Mythos Fenn Arms (A Sales Thread): https://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=174182.msg2066382#new

Fenn Shysa WIP: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=80765.0

Blaster Addiction - So many Blasters: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=110659.msg1820500

Bade Duun

« Reply #18 on: Aug 17, 2021, 09:36 PM »
I'm absolutely loving your progress on all the things. Also, I'll totally take credit for kicking you into the chestplate rabbit hole. It turned out great. The dagger.... That's just shmexy as heck. 😍
The new vest... While it does look good, it (personal opinion) looks a bit on the modern side when layered (in my head) with the rest of your kit. Perhaps some leather accents to break up the plate carrier look of it? It could just be me.
Personally I liked the leather chest harness you had initially and would like to see you utilize that.
I'm also gonna request that you bring this kit to Dragon. I know a certain Reptilian Early Crusader that wants to do a shoot with you in this kit.
🐊

Insightful observation, as always. Where were you when I first started this??

Well this is looking fantastic.

Put it all on already and show us how it looks all together!!!  :laugh:

Many thanks Vod. Indeed, it is time a test fit fasho   :like:

After having time to stew on the project and the advice from my esteemed Alor'ad, I've decided to revisit the flak vest yet again. That and because I enjoy making vests, over and over :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:. At least I've got a future vest/backup/clan mate hand-me-down.

So, here we are again. Where I stand so far with my attempts:

-The leather cuirass works well on it's own, but is a bit cumbersome to add any additional armor to. Also isn't as form fitting as I would like when moving around.
-The carrier plate conversion is a great fit and would work very well for its intended purpose, but would have to modify further to avoid it looking too modern.

I recently discovered that Burc'ya is a part of my clan, whose kit I've been a fan of for years. Yea, I fanboyed a bit when chatting...no regerts :laugh:
A legit cool vod, proud to be a clan mate.  Most importantly, through talking with her, I got a little more insight on how to make something that would be a flak vest in nature but would also feel/look rugged and tough.

Using a similar method I used for my Force Hunter flight suit, I found a $4 heavy cotton button up that was just the right size. I destitched the sleeves, buttons, pockets and collar to give me a rough 'vest'. Wasn't worried about the imprints from the pockets, those will gradually fade the more I use the vest, and whatever doesn't go away will definitely vanish under the weathering/armor.

I took some remnant canvas and sewed a strip of cloth together, then turned it inside out and gave it an understitch while binding it to the shirt. This strip not only covers the button holes but also give me some extra fabric to wrap the shirt around me when wearing it. Not to mention it gives it a bit of that aesthetic that many garments in SW posses.  I think this is the vest to bring it all together, much more confident moving forward with the rest of the torso armor.

Once stitched, I dyed it with the same deep brown I used for my heavy kama, which I planned on the canvas reacting differently than the shirt itself, resulting in a two tone vest. The colors compliment each other well.

Finally feel like enough is composed for a worthy soft part test fit. Still need to sew in the closure on the vest, but worth the effort to see what it all looks like paired together. Very pleased with the palette choice and the layered aesthetic.

Really tried to keep it tucked, but the lack of closures just wouldn't let it happen :laugh:

Here is one with a quick chest armor placement test. Pretty sure I can sew velcro on the vest without having to put any on top of the closure strap itself, but I'll know how to proceed very soon.

Tummy ache, too much Spotcka

Ner vode, feedback welcomed and appreciated.

Gatorlorian

• Loyalty above all else. #OhLookAProject
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Beastmaster Brigade Member Donated four quarters of 2023. Award for 25 official invasions. 6 or more Education Points in a single year.
« Reply #19 on: Aug 17, 2021, 10:05 PM »
Am I allowed to look at it again?
I feel like you may chuck a hydrospanner at my head if I do.  :P
🐊

Bade Duun

« Reply #20 on: Aug 17, 2021, 10:06 PM »
Am I allowed to look at it again?
I feel like you may chuck a hydrospanner at my head if I do.  :P
🐊

I do not know you. Can I help you, sir? ;D

Fenn Beviin

• MMCC #: 2116
  • Awards Mandalorian Protector Brigade Member
« Reply #21 on: Aug 18, 2021, 09:13 AM »
Dude, yes. This is some awesome progress (closure on the vest will definitely help down the road like you mentioned lol)

I also really enjoy how the 2-toned parts of the vest turned out. Keep chugging a long.

What are your plans for era appropriate weapons?

"Try not to become a man of success, but a man of value."

Instagram: mythos_fenn_shysa

Mythos Fenn Arms (A Sales Thread): https://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=174182.msg2066382#new

Fenn Shysa WIP: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=80765.0

Blaster Addiction - So many Blasters: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=110659.msg1820500

Bade Duun

« Reply #22 on: Oct 19, 2021, 10:34 AM »
Dude, yes. This is some awesome progress (closure on the vest will definitely help down the road like you mentioned lol)

I also really enjoy how the 2-toned parts of the vest turned out. Keep chugging a long.

What are your plans for era appropriate weapons?

Thanks! Yea, it's definitely more form fitting now. Will update the WIP once I get the velcro sewn on for the chest armor.
And weapons? Well, I'm glad you asked, vod...

Sup all! More updates, cause updates are fun:

Beviin (spear/lance)

I had originally planned to have a sword with each Duun kit, but I've been seeing a lot of tribal-esque spears in many genres recently and I really think it fits the aesthetic much better than sword would. So beviin it is!

Decided to make the spear a little taller than myself to give it some presence and heft. I found a nice bone knife file that I was able to reconfigure the scaling into a spearhead. It even has an awesome serrated side on it. This was printed in PETG for added strength since I am sure it'll be bumping everything due to the length.

The spearhead was then mounted into a 1.5" PVC coupler so that I can remove it for travel or if a troop doesn't allow weapons.
Instant 'spear to beating stick', much more kid friendly. :laugh:

The PVC was assembled into the spear in sections to allow disassembly for easier travel, then the joints were sanded down so that they appeared to be a single piece.

With the collection of random pieces of leather, canvas, burlap, waxed thread and beads in my workshop, I begin to dress the PVC to make it more uniform and tribal. I went in with no plan or direction, just a few basic references of real tribal spears along with a few of some kits I've seen with dope spears. I really enjoyed this process of adorning the spear, bringing it to life.

After covering the full length of the spear with wrappings, I painted the spearhead similar to the rest of my armor before wrapping that with leather too. That I am fairly confident that it can take a beating, the wrapping will give it some added strength.

Here is the final product to show the scaling, minus some more heavier weathering that I like to save until I have all of the kit together.

The kitty comes with the kit as well.
Don't let the cute face fool you; he's a warrior, meowing is part of his religion.

Next weapon up: the Primordial Blaster. Finally got a holster for it thanks to the skills of a fellow clan mate, will post updates on this as it gets rounded out.

Feedback appreciated as always.

Bade Duun

Re: 2nd Kit - Early Crusader Kal be Duun
« Reply #23 on: Oct 21, 2021, 09:18 AM »
So, I've decided to change out my pauldrons for something a bit smaller.

I do like the style, but I think I am going to use them for a future upgrade, if/when I decide to go for Brigades with this kit. But at the moment, I do not like how they sit under the mantle/cloak, and it is easier to sub these out than the soft parts.

So let's make some new ones!

Got a template cut out and test fitted. I wanted to make them similar but not the same, so I opted to make my 'spear arm' side the more armored side. It'll have bigger spikes than the other side and will be layered bone.

The spikes are another modded STL. While conceptualizing this idea, I thought it would be a cool approach to treat this set of armor like it came from a different creature altogether, and adding different spikes could accomplish that.

I traced the pattern of 8mm sintra, cut out and sanded the edges down before shaping them.

After shaping, I added velcro dots on the underside at various points to insure that they'll hit the small area of velcro I am sewing onto the sleeve. With my last kit, I covered my shoulder with velcro to accomplish this. But with this one, the shoulder straps are going to help with keeping the armor in place (and it just looks much cooler).

The straps are well-made pleather, which I have recently discovered an appreciation for. Though not even close to the durability of real leather, the synthetic material adheres very well with most glues. At the right thickness, it is almost as hard to break as leather....almost.

I used a heat gun to shape the sintra and to add texture to the material. Love this part.
Then I placed the spikes in an aesthetically pleasing (but very random) pattern that appears symmetrical in nature, but also has slight variations of placement

I cut into the material with a soldering iron to create the various cracks and breaks, then sealed it all with a layer of filler primer, mostly for the spikes.
Using various washes of burnt umber and raw sienna, I layered/sealed/layered/sealed them to give the bone a weathered effect.

Taking a little inspiration from Burc'ya, I decided to paint the spikes a separate color from the bone, treating the discoloration almost like a rhino horn (they grow as a separate part of the skull, like finger nails). So far, I dig 'em.

And here they are together. Thinking of calling this part doneso, though I still may adorn these with something to take it a little further.

We shall see.

Re: 2nd Kit - Early Crusader Kal be Duun
« Reply #24 on: Jan 23, 2022, 03:34 PM »
Great Work!!!!

Co'm Baat
Cabur Akaata: #212
Grey Brigade Over 40 Crowd: #19

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!