Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

First Build

• 6 Replies
First Build
« on: Jun 06, 2021, 05:17 AM »
Hello! Finally sat down and got everything organized so here's the WIP thread for my first build. I'm looking at a post-Imperial build, and while I'm still figuring out a few details (mostly paint and weapons) the rest just needs to be made.
I'm very excited to get started, even with how slow I'll have to go between normal life and sourcing all my materials to make everything.

I like the mix-and-match armour from several of the SW art books so I went for that instead of having all my pieces match. The actual colours are likely to be a bit darker, especially the flight suit--I found some lovely brown fabric that's almost right.I really like the mostly unpainted armour that Djarin wears and wanted to keep something similar while also grabbing a few of the colours that had meanings I personally liked.

Playing around with possible helmet markings. I think the ones on the left are a bit too close to jaig eyes, but I want to do some kind of design on the bucket. I've a tendency to let my enthusiasm for dotwork run away from me. I'm leaning towards some plain colour blocking and written add-ons, much like the clone troopers did in TCW.

Right now I'm making the girth belt and flight suit. I did mockups of the pants for the suit and will hopefully be getting in the fabric soon. I'm planning on more scrub-like flight suit, with a quilted/reinforcement pattern similar to the one seen on Djarin's suit to help combat stretching and keep things together. I've got to get the connecting bits for the belt and then it's all ready to get put together, so that's one piece out of the way.

Arco'thyel Wyshla

• Certified crazy cat mando
Re: First Build
« Reply #1 on: Jun 06, 2021, 03:31 PM »
I love your build ideas! The muted and complementary color scheme, the asymmetry, the dotwork markings, all of it. I’m looking forward to seeing it develop.

I wanted to make my own flight suit, but since I have no sewing experience, I just bought scrubs to alter. So I’m excited to see how you make your own flight suit!

| Hard Goods WIP | Soft Goods WIP | Planning Log |

"Visit Mandalore before Mandalore visits you. Take home some souvenirs—a slab of uj cake and a smack in the mouth." ―Baltan Carid

"Don’t take this the wrong way you guys, but uh, Mandalorians are crazy." ―Ezra Bridger
« Reply #2 on: Jun 07, 2021, 05:03 AM »
Thanks! I went through several colour palettes before settling on this one; I was worried it would be a bit too washed out but I really like it. Hopefully I can translate it to the armour well ^.^

I'm lucky enough to have previous sewing experience, although I did almost go the scrub route as well! But most of the scrubs I could find weren't quite right, so I figured I should take the extra time to just make 'em from scratch rather than modify something I may be unhappy with. I've been thinking of getting a set of scrubs anyways just to have as a backup.

Aster Veris

• "Monarch of mud"
  • Awards EnviroOps Beastmaster Brigade Member
« Reply #3 on: Jun 07, 2021, 08:35 PM »
I love the colors so much! Good luck  :like:

OM #2630 | BM #394 | they/them | mav oya'la clan |IG: @ plant.alorian | Aster WIP
« Reply #4 on: Jul 22, 2021, 04:28 AM »
Progress is (slowly) being made! I've got all the rope for my girth belt done and I'm attaching it to the rigging now after my initial set-up left me rather unhappy. My fabric for my flight suit came in today!

Went with something much different than the original plan after not finding the right shades but I do really like it. It's pure Merino wool in a rib knit with a nice light drape that'll help keep me cool and from being sweaty and stinky. I think the darker colour will make the 'unpainted' beskar look great, and help my paler tones contrast rather than all blending together. And it's easier to work with if I ever do decide on a repaint.
The rope is a lovely mixed green colour and there's some blues and tans mottled throughout it.

« Last Edit: Jul 22, 2021, 04:33 AM by Ciridae » Logged

Arco'thyel Wyshla

• Certified crazy cat mando
« Reply #5 on: Jul 23, 2021, 08:39 PM »
Ooh, very nice! It's a shame you couldn't find the color you originally wanted, but the black will highlight your armor nicely, especially with the softer accent colors you're going for. I especially like how the girth belt has multiple subtle colors through it, that will look excellent with the rest of your kit!

| Hard Goods WIP | Soft Goods WIP | Planning Log |

"Visit Mandalore before Mandalore visits you. Take home some souvenirs—a slab of uj cake and a smack in the mouth." ―Baltan Carid

"Don’t take this the wrong way you guys, but uh, Mandalorians are crazy." ―Ezra Bridger
« Reply #6 on: Oct 04, 2021, 01:05 AM »
@Arco'thyel yeah it was disappointing that the tan wasn't as available, but I'm happy with what I got!

Unfortunately I've run out of the materials I was making the rope with and I'm a bit short for the girth belt. Think I'll have to take it apart, add in new rope, and start again, or go back to the drawing board.
But, got the pants for my flight suit (mostly) done! I ended up over-engineering them a bit and adding in quilted details for some reinforcement. There's still a bit of handsewing to do with closures and things, and then some tailoring that I may or may not do--it doesn't really matter because the armor will make it lie different, but we'll see how much it annoys me. Now on to the shirt, which I'll be adding similar 'quilted' details to certain points to avoid stretching the material out.

The pants are a bit baggier in the hips than I wanted so I'll probably end up taking those in. They're patterned after some tapered work pants that I have mostly because I prefer that waist. They might get a longer cuff added on but it depends on the boots I end up going with. I've been eyeing some green military boots that would match the green paint I'm planning on, but who knows at this point.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!