Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Bo-Katan Kryze - The Mandalorian - WIP

• 33 Replies
Bo-Katan Kryze - The Mandalorian - WIP
« on: Jun 07, 2021, 10:03 AM »
Hi everyone!

Excited to be making my first post to start documenting my Bo-Katan build! I'm based out of Colorado, in the Rebel Legion and I'm excited to be branching out to a new group!
I'm already working very closely with my local clan Cerar as I move forward!

Soft Parts:
I've commissioned out my shirt, vest, pants and boots. This is a rather new experience for me as I usually sew my own soft parts.  My pieces just got shipped so I can't wait to see them in person. Already I know I will be fixing the pleather shoulders on the vest and the side pleather insets on the vest as the stitching is incorrect. Most likely will need to deconstruct the vest to do this, but I will see when it arrives. I also will need to add the 8 lines of top stitching at the chest of the vest. I bought touchscreen capable gloves from Amazon that a few people have stated they think could be screen used.

Armor:
Still will need to get: Headband, Gauntlets, and Jetpack
So far I've simply done a coating of spray primer on all my pieces. This weekend I got help to get started working hard at my helmet. We got the visor piece removed and I sanded the area smooth. I also had help getting the rangefinder drilled in place. Next steps is filling pinholes and doing any final clean up work.

Paint:
I bought the Montana Acrylic spray paints in colors: Sky Blue, Blue Magic, Shock Blue, Ultramarine, Shock White, Iron Curtain, Stealth, and Silver Chrome. I did some spoon tests to see what blues I like. So far I think my Favorite blue is Blue Magic for the main blue color. However, I think the final paint job will include layers of all.

Wig:
I bought this wig from Wig is Fashion and plan to have someone professionally cut the wig while on me to get the right length and style.

Belt/Holsters:
I bought the Bo-Katan buckle set from JJ Industries and will commission a local leatherworker for the belt and holsters.

Westars:
I have two resin cast Westars that will need cleanup and triggers replaced.

I think that about covers where I currently am and I'll be posting updates as I go!
Constructive feedback is welcome!

Bryn Cin'Prudii

• ~What killed the dinosaurs? THE ICE AGE!
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Airmobile brigade member Shock Infantry Brigade Member Special Weapons EnviroOps
Re: Bo-Katan Kryze - The Mandalorian - WIP
« Reply #1 on: Jun 07, 2021, 10:08 AM »
Commenting to follow :) I know ill see great work here.

Cerar Clan OM#1935 Tri-Division Brigade Member#262
Apply to Brigades here!
New Item Approval
« Reply #2 on: Jun 07, 2021, 03:34 PM »
I just did a bit of research on the vest and top. I've noticed areas of stitching and seams. Below I've included side by side comparisons of the media and then the lines I've traced of what I saw.
Main Conclusions:
Vest:
1) There seems to be 14 lines of stitching into the leather shoulders
2) There seems to be 6 lines of stitching at the front/side Leather panels
3) There seems to be 8 lines of stitching at the front of the vest at the neckline.
4) There seems to be 5 lines of stitching in the back neck leather panel.
5) The back of the vest has a yolk and a diagonal seam that goes from the sleeve hole to the middle of the back.

Shirt:
1) The sleeve patch has a different design than Din/Axe.
2) There appears to be some interesting seam work on the long sleeves. There's a large armpit panel. Then the side seam only goes down through the elbow area. There's then an added panel that swoops from the elbow down into the gauntlet.
3) The back of the shirt seems to have a yolk plus an armpit panel.

Falke

• Aliit ori'shya tal'din
« Reply #3 on: Jun 09, 2021, 08:02 AM »
It's great to see another Bo Katan in progress.

You did well with figuring out all the details on the soft parts. There is only on e detail where I disagree with you, which would be the armpit panel. As far as I know, the shorter sleeve isn't completely sewn on to the flightsuit top. The lower half of the shorter arm is not attached to it. Therefore. you can see a gap between the shorter sleeve and the flightsuit top whenever Bo raises her arm.

This topic was discussed in my Wip, I also described the details on the arm there. I think it would be great to learn from each other's findings. Here is the link to my Wip:
http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=201569.0

Mi'ix

• Ideals are peaceful. History is violent.
  • Awards Award for 75 official invasions. Brigades Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Boba and Jango
« Reply #4 on: Jun 09, 2021, 09:21 AM »
Some very astute observations here.  I'm not sure how down the rabbit hole we are with Bo and her CRL.  I'm working on both versions of Boba at the moment, but Bo is on my list after I'm done with the rough draft on him.

Legends - Protector 
Canon - ESB Boba Fett

Mandalorian Mercs Brigade Application Form

BH/TI/TS/MW 65041

Tra'cor Clan || M.V.S. #41|| M.A.B.E.L. #60 || 72 Official Invasions
« Reply #5 on: Jun 09, 2021, 09:28 AM »
It's great to see another Bo Katan in progress.

You did well with figuring out all the details on the soft parts. There is only on e detail where I disagree with you, which would be the armpit panel. As far as I know, the shorter sleeve isn't completely sewn on to the flightsuit top. The lower half of the shorter arm is not attached to it. Therefore. you can see a gap between the shorter sleeve and the flightsuit top whenever Bo raises her arm.

This topic was discussed in my Wip, I also described the details on the arm there. I think it would be great to learn from each other's findings. Here is the link to my Wip:
http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=201569.0

I see what you mean! I hadn't thought about the possibility that instead of a panel in the armpit on the short sleeve, that it's just open. That would make sense for movability. Thanks for linking your WIP cause it looks like we have found a lot of the same conclusions on the seam work for the long sleeves! I'm more than happy to keep sharing findings!

« Reply #6 on: Jun 09, 2021, 09:37 AM »
Some very astute observations here.  I'm not sure how down the rabbit hole we are with Bo and her CRL.  I'm working on both versions of Boba at the moment, but Bo is on my list after I'm done with the rough draft on him.

Yeah, I don't know how much if this I'll feasibly be able to add into mine since I've commissioned it. I may ask my commissioner to buy some of the original fabric off him so I can fudge add some of these seams and areas. The main thing I know I really want to fix is the patch on the long sleeve as that's substantially different. I also may replace all the pleather bits on the vest to add the correct number of stitches since that's substantially different on my commission as well.

When I worked on a couple Rey's with Rebel Legion, they didn't add every single seam in the CRL especially since not every seam is truly visible in the film. However, they did add key seams in their CRL such as the number of stitches in the shoulders of her grey vest. I would imagine Bo will be similar? Having key details noted, but looser on 100% exact seam work. But I'm unfamiliar with this group's level of detail they look for in canon characters. Still, I like to make note of what is there in case I can incorporate it into my final suit, because it's fun for me.

Mi'ix

• Awards Award for 75 official invasions. Brigades Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Boba and Jango
« Reply #7 on: Jun 09, 2021, 09:41 AM »
^exactly this!

We do want to make note of seams and various soft part details, absolutely,

Our base level CRL might just mention HAVING the right seams in the right places, but might not mention the exact number.  That would be a BRL level item we add to get that extra level of accuracy.

Legends - Protector 
Canon - ESB Boba Fett

BH/TI/TS/MW 65041

« Reply #8 on: Jun 09, 2021, 09:53 AM »
As I was coming back to this, I forgot to add my collar findings!
The leather piping doesn't run along the entire edge of the collar.
There are 3 lines of topstitching at the top of the collar, and only one line at the bottom.

Falke

• Aliit ori'shya tal'din
« Reply #9 on: Jun 09, 2021, 10:31 AM »
I noted the same details on the collar as you.

« Reply #10 on: Jun 17, 2021, 05:54 PM »
Update! my commission came in! All high quality. However, the vest was too large and didn't have the right details. So I completely disassembled the vest by hand. Then I used the scraps to use Sionnach Studio's pattern and it came out great! I also adjusted the length of the sleeves, added the armpit gap in the sleeves, and replaced the pleather on the collar so it all matches now.
I made sure to add all the topstitching from the photos I referenced above. I also put 6 lines of topstitching on the side dart pleather inters. I put 15 lines of topstitching on the shoulder pleather.
Lastly, I put my spoon test next to my vest and the colors are looking pretty spot on! I will need to weather and darken the pleather slightly and weather the fabric.

Rhue_Shofytt

• Diet Sprite
« Reply #11 on: Jun 17, 2021, 06:48 PM »
Your vest (and pretty much everything else) looks amazing!  :<3:

One question for ya, I didn't see any gauntlets in your armor photo, have you found a vendor or 3d print file source for those? I love Bo's gauntlets but haven't been able to find anyone selling them.

Per aspera, ad astra

First WIP
« Reply #12 on: Jun 17, 2021, 07:08 PM »
Your vest (and pretty much everything else) looks amazing!  :<3:

One question for ya, I didn't see any gauntlets in your armor photo, have you found a vendor or 3d print file source for those? I love Bo's gauntlets but haven't been able to find anyone selling them.

Thank you so very much! Very pleased with my vest results.

Sure! i think the person who made the 3-D files for my pieces are Josh Gaetz’s ChamanleonFx. I was supposed to get gauntlents, helmet, and headband kit with my other armor pieces, but the commissioner and I had a conflict and reached a resolution so I'm also actually shopping around. I think I will be getting help from my local clan to resin print a set for me.
Also a friend linked me this guy who does 3-D files for her gauntlents. https://3d-mon.com/?s=bo%20katan&post_type=product&type_aws=true&fbclid=IwAR3nRKx4I3F2UK2-jQunpyUleFAYw21RrpI5CB-TwxpAFp6YmFPdsnndKAY

« Reply #13 on: Jun 18, 2021, 02:23 PM »
Just updated my pants to have matching pleather on the front inserts! I will probably add the pleather hip patches at some point, but could help taking a progress photo and temporarily attach my shin and knee pieces with my boots to see how it's all shaping up!

Falke

• Aliit ori'shya tal'din
« Reply #14 on: Jun 24, 2021, 10:14 AM »
It's great to see all those pieces together, unfinished or not.

I also started with the vest, so I checked some pictures of the leather patch on the shoulder. I found another picture of the patch, where you can see the backside of the patch better. There I counted some more lines.

I counted 16 lines on the patch, with the first and last line being made with the light grey detail stitching-thread on the side covers of the patch.

« Reply #15 on: Jun 24, 2021, 11:05 AM »
It's great to see all those pieces together, unfinished or not.

I also started with the vest, so I checked some pictures of the leather patch on the shoulder. I found another picture of the patch, where you can see the backside of the patch better. There I counted some more lines.

Thanks for this! It was hard to tell in the shots I had. I ended up making 17 total lines on my vest, because stitching at 1/4" spacing ended up working that way. I think it's the only main thing "off" so far on my vest, so I accepted it.

Aneira Velca'rusc

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances 40+ hrs of charity work Family events Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #16 on: Jul 06, 2021, 04:06 PM »
Checking in on this one to receive updates.
Your work and attention to details is already remarkable  :like: I'm looking forward to your progress

« Reply #17 on: Nov 29, 2021, 10:20 AM »
I have finally made some progress and I've had some help by Wynot Studios to paint the chrome parts of my armor!
Paints:
Montana Gold Silver chrome base
Montana Gold Shock black for the second layer
Alumaluster for the third layer
Black acrylic paint with alcohol spray for weathering layer

Mi'ix

« Reply #18 on: Nov 29, 2021, 10:32 AM »
Very nice.

I'm glad you made the chest diamond brighter in appearance as that is something a lot of people have been missing in the WIPs I have seen.

Legends - Protector 
Canon - ESB Boba Fett

BH/TI/TS/MW 65041

Ru'Stor Rawr

• Mjölnir
  • Awards Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 25 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Airmobile brigade member Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #19 on: Nov 29, 2021, 04:02 PM »
I saw this in your builders group, Very nice and like MI'IX, said kudos on picking up on that detail with the diamond

« Reply #20 on: Nov 29, 2021, 07:34 PM »
Very nice.

I'm glad you made the chest diamond brighter in appearance as that is something a lot of people have been missing in the WIPs I have seen.

Thank you! Definitely something I saw from the beginning and I think is important to help it pop!

« Reply #21 on: Nov 29, 2021, 07:35 PM »
I saw this in your builders group, Very nice and like MI'IX, said kudos on picking up on that detail with the diamond

Thank you!

« Reply #22 on: Dec 13, 2021, 10:54 AM »
This weekend I got the weathering and details on the blue armor pieces done!
Base color: Montana Gold Blue Magic
Used acrylic pants in Black, Grey, Silver, and a custom blue for weathering
Montana Gold shock white and shock black for own sigils.

[/url]

Mi'ix

« Reply #23 on: Dec 13, 2021, 11:05 AM »
I actually got to see you in person at C2E2 this past weekend and was really impressed with your kit.

I thought the paint work and overall look of the kit does the character justice to a tee.

Sorry, didn't put two and two together until you and my fiance (themirandalorian) took a picture together and I saw your username here. Lol

Legends - Protector 
Canon - ESB Boba Fett

BH/TI/TS/MW 65041

« Reply #24 on: Dec 13, 2021, 11:08 AM »
I actually got to see you in person at C2E2 this past weekend and was really impressed with your kit.

I thought the paint work and overall look of the kit does the character justice to a tee.

Sorry, didn't put two and two together until you and my fiance (themirandalorian) took a picture together and I saw your username here. Lol

OH! I think you have me confused with someone else! I was not at C2E2 (I have never been) and my kit is also not completed or wearable yet! There must be another Aly dressed as Bo Katan! But I appreciate your kind words!

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!