Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

triss's armor

• 186 Replies

Aster Veris

• "Monarch of mud"
  • Awards EnviroOps Beastmaster Brigade Member
Re: triss's armor
« Reply #100 on: Nov 17, 2021, 06:42 PM »
Looks nice! Good work vod!

OM #2630 | BM #394 | they/them | mav oya'la clan |IG: @ plant.alorian | Aster WIP

Karson Wren

• Clan Wren - Nayc solus jurkade cuun aliit
« Reply #101 on: Nov 17, 2021, 07:15 PM »
Ooooh liking the yellow girth belt.   :like:

« Reply #102 on: Nov 17, 2021, 08:45 PM »
looking good! keep it up! :like:

"the most important step of a journey is the first"

"I know that my blaster loaded, and my knife is sharp, everything  after that is a toss of the die"

Cattriss Wren

• "Vurel verburyc, draar solus"
« Reply #103 on: Nov 17, 2021, 10:06 PM »
Looks nice! Good work vod!

Thanks Aster!  :D

Ooooh liking the yellow girth belt.   :like:

Thanks! I was at first going to go with a lighter shade of yellow but I didn't love the feel of the material, so I decided against it.

looking good! keep it up! :like:
Thanks!!

my armor. http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=203296.0

"Mandalorians don't make threats. We make promises"

"Everyone has a struggle in life. The key is turning that struggle into your weapon."

ishtob

• Aluminati
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2024. Donated four quarters of 2023.
« Reply #104 on: Dec 04, 2021, 01:25 PM »
I finally have a update for you all. I was working this weekend on my kit. Got my cape almost done and finished my cod piece as well as started to worked on my girth belt a little. Got more pvc so I can start work on my holsters soon.

The girth belt looks great!

can I ask what fabric you used for the cape?

Zark Lyall - OM #2494 - Firaxan Clan | Kit WIP   Kit 2 WIP  Metal Helmet WIP    Metal BoBF Boba WIP

Cattriss Wren

« Reply #105 on: Dec 05, 2021, 06:07 PM »
The girth belt looks great!

can I ask what fabric you used for the cape?

Thanks! The material is the same as my vest. I had a lot left over so I thought that I would put it to good use.

"Everyone has a struggle in life. The key is turning that struggle into your weapon."

Cattriss Wren

« Reply #106 on: Jan 04, 2022, 10:09 PM »
Su'cuy,  I finished attaching my armor to the flak vest with snaps. :D

I still need to add a little velcro to the vest. So now it's time to attach my shoulders and cape. Hopefully after that I will start on gauntlets or  guns and holsters.

Also I would really appreciate if you guys could enlighten me about spray paint protocol. Do you prime first? Do you add a protective coating at the end? What are some good brands? What are some problems with it? All that good stuff ;D  I have little stuff to do to my kit so I should have a few more things to update about .

« Last Edit: May 18, 2022, 11:30 AM by Cattriss Wren » Logged

Karson Wren

• Clan Wren - Nayc solus jurkade cuun aliit
« Reply #107 on: Jan 05, 2022, 06:35 AM »

I am 100% clueless, but it looks good so far to me  :laugh:

« Reply #108 on: Jan 05, 2022, 09:06 AM »
I havent made armor yet but have done costumes in the past.  I think the steps you take are going to depend on the weathering.  In general, id start with sanding then priming, then sanding again and paint your base coat.

Fenn Beviin

• MMCC #: 2116
  • Awards Mandalorian Protector Brigade Member
« Reply #109 on: Jan 05, 2022, 09:27 AM »

I still need to add a little velcro to the vest. So now it's time to attach my shoulders and cape. Hopefully after that I will start on gauntlets or  guns and holsters.

Also I would really appreciate if you guys could enlighten me about spray paint protocol. Do you prime first? Do you add a protective coating at the end? What are some good brands? What are some problems with it? All that good stuff ;D  I have little stuff to do to my kit so I should have a few more things to update about .

Overall your armor is looking great! Looks like you might need to shape the rest chest "fang" a little bit more to your body to match the left side. Left chest plate might need to slide up ever so slightly as does the center diamond - but this could be the angle.

Now to answer your paint question!

No, you don't need to prime it first. PVC foam board/aka sintra is a relatively porous material so it takes to paint well as is.

Personally, I use Rustoleum paints almost exclusively but it really depends on the available color options at your local stores (in my opinion). Try not to mix and match brands on the same piece of armor as much as possible.

Only problems when it comes to spray painting are either applying it on in too thick of layers which may cause bubbling or dripping or a "dried ground" cracking pattern - same can be said if you try to paint in too cold of weather. Hope that helps!  :like:

"Try not to become a man of success, but a man of value."

Instagram: mythos_fenn_shysa

Mythos Fenn Arms (A Sales Thread): https://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=174182.msg2066382#new

Fenn Shysa WIP: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=80765.0

Blaster Addiction - So many Blasters: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=110659.msg1820500

Vercopaanir

• Fix'em or Finish'em
  • Awards Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Award for 50 official invasions. Medic Brigade Member Special Operations Brigade Member Special Weapons
« Reply #110 on: Jan 05, 2022, 03:37 PM »
Looking good!

While you don't need to prime it, I usually do.  I like to do a black primer before I add my metallic base coat for when the paint gets scratched.  (It will get scratched)  It is harder to see the scratch when the black is what is showing through versus the white.  But that is purely my personal preference.

As far a paint brand go, I usually use Krylon simply because they had the shade of grey I wanted for my kit and its easy to source locally.  I have another clan mate who only uses Rustoleum and loves it.  Honestly pick a brand and follow the directions and it will work out.  Avoid switching brands as they don't usually play well together.

If you want to top coat it you can but you don't need to.  Clear coats can be tricky and since Mando's usually look like they live in their armor  ;) having scratches, dings and smudges only adds to the overall aesthetic. 

Ursa Wren WIP
WIP Armor
WIP Helmet
WIP Weapons [url=https://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=

ishtob

• Aluminati
« Reply #111 on: Jan 05, 2022, 08:07 PM »

looking good so far! You've got that shaped real well! Everything looks symmetrical and even. So great job!

Few points that could use some work before you start painting:

- The chest plate looks a bit waving on the left there (your left, right on the image).
- your right chest plate fang portion looks like it can be formed a bit more (can't be 100% but it appears to be floating a bit.
- move the chest diamond up a smidge or shave it down on the bottom slightly to get an even gap all around.

Looking good!

While you don't need to prime it, I usually do.  I like to do a black primer before I add my metallic base coat for when the paint gets scratched.  (It will get scratched)  It is harder to see the scratch when the black is what is showing through versus the white.  But that is purely my personal preference.

I second this, but since its already plastic, you may be able to get away with just a few coats gloss black coat then a few coats of metallic silver. You may be able to skip the primer if you use a combination gloss black that is formulated for plastic.

after you have the silver base is done, you've got a few choices:
Paint -> sand paper to reveal silver layer (I advice against this as it will out the silver quite a bit and make them appear greyish)
masking -> paint -> peel masking -> add more scratches with sand paper or sharp objects
masking -> paint layer 1 color -> masking -> paint layer 2 color -> peel  masking -> add more scratches with sand paper or sharp objects

work in thin layers, I did 6 layers of color 1 (2 layers of primer, 4 layers of color 1) then 8 layers of layer 2. Adjust it based on whether you reached the amount of coverage and thickness you want.

Masking you've got a few options, or you can mix and match them:
- Use some liquid masking fluids and start blocking out areas for the weathering (think corners and large surfaces that see a lot wear)
- Mix course salt with some drops of water and cake them onto areas you want to mask
- Toothpaste instead of masking fluids
* take a look at my WIP for the weathering if you want some picture tutorials

Looking good!
If you want to top coat it you can but you don't need to.  Clear coats can be tricky and since Mando's usually look like they live in their armor  ;) having scratches, dings and smudges only adds to the overall aesthetic. 

I find top coat very optional, and honestly, I agree with vercopaanir that scratches make it more realistic and adds cahracter

Zark Lyall - OM #2494 - Firaxan Clan | Kit WIP   Kit 2 WIP  Metal Helmet WIP    Metal BoBF Boba WIP

Cattriss Wren

« Reply #112 on: Jan 08, 2022, 09:59 PM »
Thank you guys so much for all of your help and advice. :D

Aster Veris

• "Monarch of mud"
« Reply #113 on: Jan 09, 2022, 01:43 AM »
Congrats on the plates! People have already given you tips for how to make the spacing/floating better.
What I do is I use a gray primer (aka what the store has) and then do multiple layers of silver. Then a clear coat over the silver. I think I use rustoleum for my colors but no idea for the silver. I use blick's matte fixative for sealing (I have tons of it from school) and it works great! I've tried other clear coats and they react super weirdly with silver.
Anyway the major tip is do tests. Test your colors, test your primer and weathering methods. Idk how heavy your weathering will be but test out how you'll do paint chips (I highly recommend liquid latex) and how the colors will look together!

OM #2630 | BM #394 | they/them | mav oya'la clan |IG: @ plant.alorian | Aster WIP

Cattriss Wren

« Reply #114 on: Jan 09, 2022, 06:55 AM »
Thanks Aster, will do :D

I have another question for you all. So I was going to scratch build my gauntlets and then buy the missiles and flamethrower for them from Etsy. But I just found out that no one sell the weapons for gauntlets. So should I just buy my gauntlets instead of building them?

« Last Edit: Jan 09, 2022, 07:02 AM by Cattriss Wren » Logged

Tramp Graphics

• Illustrator
« Reply #115 on: Jan 09, 2022, 09:44 AM »
Thanks Aster, will do :D

I have another question for you all. So I was going to scratch build my gauntlets and then buy the missiles and flamethrower for them from Etsy. But I just found out that no one sell the weapons for gauntlets. So should I just buy my gauntlets instead of building them?

I just looked myself, and found at least a half dozen wrist rockets, as well as darts and flame throwers, all on Etsy. I simply looked up “Boba Fett gauntlet rocket” in the search and came up with a slew of options: https://www.etsy.com/search?q=boba%20fet%20gaunlet%20rocket

Cattriss Wren

« Reply #116 on: Jan 09, 2022, 10:22 AM »
Wow thanks!! Guess I was not searching the right thing. Problem solved!!

Tramp Graphics

• Illustrator
« Reply #117 on: Jan 09, 2022, 11:01 AM »
Olarom

ishtob

• Aluminati
« Reply #118 on: Jan 09, 2022, 12:22 PM »
You can also look into those punk clothing spikes, I've got 3 on my gauntlet for "darts".

I got the #2 spike from this etsy seller: https://www.etsy.com/listing/975079595/20pcs-bullet-punk-spikesleather-crafts
I may have a few more sitting around if I can find them and send them your way

Second Son

• Awards Special Weapons EnviroOps Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #119 on: Jan 09, 2022, 12:24 PM »
I bet you can handle scratch-building and adding platforms and housings for your gauntlet weapons - admittedly, a classic Boba wrist rocket might be worth getting a quality resin cast but you could give it a go while you wait for it to ship. Best case, two wrist rockets, worst case, some experience gained.

But other things you can put together with Sintra sheet and a raid on the plumbing and tool aisles at the hardware store:
flamethrower - rectangular Sintra tube and some air hose or plumbing fittings. 
Wrist darts - sports ball inflators pushed through holes drilled in the platform.
generic Zappers - pocket air blowers (check Menard's or similar) with some sort of shroud to tie them to the gauntlets.
Knee darts - air hose connectors again, you could heat them and push&twist them into the blocks on the side of your knees if it's Sintra, (drill a pilot hole just a bit smaller than the threaded part). they come in steel, brass or aluminum in a few sizes, so variety.

Cattriss Wren

« Reply #120 on: Jan 09, 2022, 12:38 PM »
You can also look into those punk clothing spikes, I've got 3 on my gauntlet for "darts".

I got the #2 spike from this etsy seller: https://www.etsy.com/listing/975079595/20pcs-bullet-punk-spikesleather-crafts
I may have a few more sitting around if I can find them and send them your way

That's a really good idea about the spikes!!! Do you think that arrow heads might work as well?
My gauntlets / vambraces are going to be similar to ursa's and the rest of clan wren.

I bet you can handle scratch-building and adding platforms and housings for your gauntlet weapons - admittedly, a classic Boba wrist rocket might be worth getting a quality resin cast but you could give it a go while you wait for it to ship. Best case, two wrist rockets, worst case, some experience gained.

But other things you can put together with Sintra sheet and a raid on the plumbing and tool aisles at the hardware store:
flamethrower - rectangular Sintra tube and some air hose or plumbing fittings. 
Wrist darts - sports ball inflators pushed through holes drilled in the platform.
generic Zappers - pocket air blowers (check Menard's or similar) with some sort of shroud to tie them to the gauntlets.
Knee darts - air hose connectors again, you could heat them and push&twist them into the blocks on the side of your knees if it's Sintra, (drill a pilot hole just a bit smaller than the threaded part). they come in steel, brass or aluminum in a few sizes, so variety.

Thank you. That's a lot of great advice!! I will definitely keep it in mind.

Fenn Beviin

• MMCC #: 2116
  • Awards Mandalorian Protector Brigade Member
« Reply #121 on: Jan 10, 2022, 08:51 AM »
If you want to mimic the gauntlet darts - my personal opinion is that plastic real life dart tips are the way to go as they are easy to find and super cheap. That's what I used for mine and this is how they look!

"Try not to become a man of success, but a man of value."

Instagram: mythos_fenn_shysa

Mythos Fenn Arms (A Sales Thread): https://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=174182.msg2066382#new

Fenn Shysa WIP: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=80765.0

Blaster Addiction - So many Blasters: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=110659.msg1820500

Cattriss Wren

« Reply #122 on: Jan 10, 2022, 09:41 AM »
If you want to mimic the gauntlet darts - my personal opinion is that plastic real life dart tips are the way to go as they are easy to find and super cheap. That's what I used for mine and this is how they look!

I can always use more ideas ;D

ishtob

• Aluminati
« Reply #123 on: Jan 11, 2022, 01:46 PM »
arrow and dart heads would work too, i’ve seen them done on multiple approved kits.

You should think about what overall aesthetics you are going for with your weapons platform (sleek and streamlined, bulky and intimidating, minimalist, etc), and going with one that works well for your gauntlet.

Aster Veris

• "Monarch of mud"
« Reply #124 on: Jan 11, 2022, 01:51 PM »
Really can't give advice because I have the most simple gauntlets ever but I wish you luck!

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!