Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

WIP - Loopus' Armour

• 27 Replies

Tramp Graphics

• Illustrator
Re: WIP - Loopus' Armour
« Reply #15 on: Nov 05, 2021, 04:10 PM »
Ear caps are definitely necessary. This has been brought up by the App team before. A Modern helmet, by design, has ear caps and a key slotted vent in the back  at the very least. You donít need a range finder, but the ear caps are a signature element of a Modern style helmet.

Jenga Feet

• Shiloh - Kyrimorut
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances 15+ clan level invasions Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #16 on: Nov 05, 2021, 07:44 PM »
Ear caps are definitely necessary. This has been brought up by the App team before. A Modern helmet, by design, has ear caps and a key slotted vent in the back  at the very least. You donít need a range finder, but the ear caps are a signature element of a Modern style helmet.

Ear caps actually aren't required on most modern helmets. Some custom helmets require ear caps to fall within the era, but the generic fett does not. A cap is only required if the classic rangefinder ear cap is used, as mentioned here:

If a Boba/Jango Fett rangefinder earcap is attached to either side of the helmet, the full earcap must be worn to ensure the base of the rangefinder stalk is covered. A rangefinder is not required, but the cover cap must still be in place.

Your helmet is good to go as is if you'd like it that way

#1732 | He/Him | Kyrimorut Clan | Official Invasions: 37 | App Team 2018-2021 | Art Team 2019 - 2021
« Reply #17 on: Nov 05, 2021, 07:50 PM »
That's what I'd figured as well, they're nice but not definitively required. They're an easy add on if they are, anyway. I'm wanting a fairly simple, homespun-mando'ade look with this, hence the leather and basic fabric, so as few 'accessories' like rangefinders and earcaps as possible. Maybe an antenna post-approval...

Also, did some painting last night! Check out this luscious blue-green:

Any idea how to stop it being tacky? My gun also got a coat of filler and black spray and now it's... Sticky.

evening.echiveria

• CEO of socks
« Reply #18 on: Nov 06, 2021, 03:31 AM »
Glad you got a solid answer for the ear caps, what Jenga Feet said is what I was thinking but wasn't 100% sure.

For the tacky paint, let it dry. That's usually either 1) humidity in the air or 2) you put too much paint down. In personal experience it happens more with gloss than matte paints. Either way, just wait and don't touch it. It may take a bit but it should be okay after at most 24 hours.

MMCC #2630 | they/them | mav oya'la clan |IG: @ plant.alorian | Aster WIP
« Reply #19 on: Nov 06, 2021, 03:34 AM »
...Either way, just wait and don't touch it. It may take a bit but it should be okay after at most 24 hours.

...welp.

Look fingerprints add authenticity! Haha

But yeah, it was better this morning. Now for leather wraps and silver scratches!

evening.echiveria

• CEO of socks
« Reply #20 on: Nov 07, 2021, 09:46 PM »
...welp.

Look fingerprints add authenticity! Haha

But yeah, it was better this morning. Now for leather wraps and silver scratches!

That's okay! Some weathering should cover it up

Arkham

• Awards Legends of Mandalore Brigade 11+ Invasion Report Appearances 15+ clan level invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Special Weapons
« Reply #21 on: Nov 08, 2021, 08:42 AM »
Glad you got a solid answer for the ear caps, what Jenga Feet said is what I was thinking but wasn't 100% sure.

I have yet to see a Ruus'alor or App Team member weigh in on this. I would consult them, or post the question in the Q&A, before assuming you have gotten the correct answer.

If you consult the Post Imperial CRLs (as helmets are interchangeable between that and Modern, plus it is the more recently updated CRL) it states:
If a Modern Era helmet is used, it must have at least 2 out of the following 3 attachments:
  • Ear caps
  • Rangefinder
  • Key slots

I would imagine this would also be the case for Modern. But as I mentioned, consult your Ruus'alor or App Team member.

Ear caps actually aren't required on most modern helmets. Some custom helmets require ear caps to fall within the era, but the generic fett does not. A cap is only required if the classic rangefinder ear cap is used, as mentioned here...

The CRL quote your referred too only states that if you are using a Boba/Jango "Rangefinder"earcap that you must use all of it (rather than part, or half, of it). It makes not judgement either way on if earcaps are required or not.

You will be fairly hard-pressed to find many approved helmets that are lacking some form of earcap.

Arkham's WIP

Tra'cor Clan // G.O.M.O.L # 032 // M.V.S #68 // O.O.P.S.! #52 // L.O.B #49
« Reply #22 on: Nov 08, 2021, 09:38 AM »
Hm, fair enough. I'll throw the question into Q & A.

Now to get these dikut'la knee plates to sit right! It'll be easier with elastic and superglue, than just velcro, haha, and I have a variety of shapes I can use thats to trial and error (jango shouders also make great knees, biceps, or with some modding, elbows! Haha)

« Reply #23 on: Nov 15, 2021, 02:31 AM »
I've had another idea!

Are we able to cover the elastic strapping with, like, a tube of leather? So it looks like leather strapping? Would make my life 1000x easier...

Also, got an official word, earcaps are required, but they're an easy addition.

Making my pilgrimage on public transport for nearly an hour to get to my parents house to build tomorrow! Should get the missing pieces cut and shaped at least, and elastic fit the leg bits.

I'm thinking about changing the knees to a modified Jango shoulder, from the Boba shape. I have quite thick legs - a decade of bartending will do that - and that shape doesn't work as well compared to the more solid look shape of modified shoulder plates. I'll add a trauma plate so it isn't as obvious as well. I'll likely use an elongated version of that same shape for bicep plates as well.

« Last Edit: Nov 15, 2021, 02:35 AM by Loopus » Logged

evening.echiveria

• CEO of socks
« Reply #24 on: Nov 16, 2021, 11:49 AM »
I've had another idea!

Are we able to cover the elastic strapping with, like, a tube of leather? So it looks like leather strapping? Would make my life 1000x easier...

Making my pilgrimage on public transport for nearly an hour to get to my parents house to build tomorrow! Should get the missing pieces cut and shaped at least, and elastic fit the leg bits.

I'm thinking about changing the knees to a modified Jango shoulder, from the Boba shape. I have quite thick legs - a decade of bartending will do that - and that shape doesn't work as well compared to the more solid look shape of modified shoulder plates. I'll add a trauma plate so it isn't as obvious as well. I'll likely use an elongated version of that same shape for bicep plates as well.

Not quite sure what you mean about leather tubes but I don't see why not? I use pleather for my armor strapping.
Glad you got an official answer about earcaps.
For the knees, I would look at some canon examples. A lot of the clan wren armor has some nice knee plates which seem to be what you're describing.

Vercopaanir

• Fix'em or Finish'em
  • Awards Medic Brigade Member Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #25 on: Nov 16, 2021, 09:00 PM »
I've had another idea!

You can totally make a pleather/ leather cover for you elastic so that it looks like leather strapping.

Just a FYI, don't say your using shoulders for knees as that is a big no no specifically addressed in the CRLs.  You can however, craft your own design and be 'inspired' by the armor shapes.  (Read, similar shape as shoulder only you designed it specifically for the knee.)  ;)

CRL:
Further Information:
Unmodified armor pieces from any modern Mandalorian armor template including Boba, Jango, Legacy, The Clone Wars, and Rebels are not permitted to be used in place of other armor pieces. For example, unmodified shoulder armor cannot be used in the place of knees. The shoulder armor can look similar to the knee armor in this case, but they cannot be the exact same template.

Loving this build  :like:

Don't cry because it is over, smile because it happened. -Dr. Seuss

Ursa Wren WIP
WIP Armor
WIP Helmet
WIP Weapons Post Imperial Build
« Reply #26 on: Nov 16, 2021, 09:45 PM »
... say your using shoulders for knees as that is a big no no specifically addressed in the CRLs.  You can however, craft your own design and be 'inspired' by the armor shapes.  (Read, similar shape as shoulder only you designed it specifically for the knee.) 

Yeah, I'm going to add some trauma plating and invert the paint job for them, change their silhouette a bit.

In other news - I got a heap done, and this is what came out of it

Ignore the shaping and positioning, I need to re-velcro a heap and finalise the gauntlet shape and attachment BUT I think it's looking... Pretty good!

evening.echiveria

• CEO of socks
« Reply #27 on: Nov 17, 2021, 06:43 PM »
Looks nice!

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!