Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Vod'ika's Kit

• 60 Replies

Vercopaanir

• Fix'em or Finish'em
  • Awards Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Award for 50 official invasions. Medic Brigade Member Special Operations Brigade Member Special Weapons
Re: Vod'ika's Kit
« Reply #25 on: Aug 17, 2021, 11:02 AM »
That is some seriously impressive paint masking! You're really setting the bar high for creative paint designs. Both the kits you've made have breathtaking details. 

Thank you!  I might be a bit of a perfectionist.  It's also really fun to take the picture in my head and make it real.

She looks great at the con -- fits right in! The hood and scarf are a great look, will she wear them with the helmet?

So the scarf was actually my clan mates.  Her bucket is still being printed so she didn't have it for this past weekend.  When he noticed that he pulled the scarf from his bin and offered it to her to wear this weekend.  I took and wrapped it into the hood she's wearing.  We do have plans to add a hood/short shoulder cape-ish thing to this kit but it wont be this particular scarf.  So the answer is both yes and no.  She will have a hood/scarf-ish thing that she will wear.  Up to her if she tries to pull it over her bucket or only wear it when the bucket is off.

Ursa Wren WIP
WIP Armor
WIP Helmet
WIP Weapons [url=https://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=

Vercopaanir

• Fix'em or Finish'em
  • Awards Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Award for 50 official invasions. Medic Brigade Member Special Operations Brigade Member Special Weapons
« Reply #26 on: Sep 03, 2021, 09:09 PM »
We got the helmet!  After a few delays it was handed off to us at the armor party.

It's pretty big bucket.  So I will have to enlarge her silhouette to avoid the bobble head look.

So to make her look bigger I added quilted cap sleeves to the vest.  Put some foam on the inside of the top section of her shoulder armor and we will be adding a cape-ish thing made from this fur I pulled from the clearance bin.

I measured and with the fur added to the padded shoulders she is within the range of the recommended helmet to shoulder width ratio.  So her helmet is 1/2" bigger then half her shoulder width with the addition of all the armor.

I also properly finished one of the knives for her kit.

« Last Edit: Sep 05, 2021, 08:34 PM by Vercopaanir » Logged

Ursa Wren WIP
WIP Armor
WIP Helmet

Vercopaanir

• Fix'em or Finish'em
« Reply #27 on: Sep 23, 2021, 08:21 PM »
My vod'ika did the first two layers of sanding because she wanted to do her helmet herself.  She finished the second and handed it to me with a, you can work on it now.  So I did.  I like to start with a layer of resin after a rough sand of the 3-D print.  (Vod'ika did both the rough sand and the sanding of the resin.)

After which I added a layer of filler primer and then sanded it down to help expose the spots that need more work.  I did a thin layer of bondo in the lowest spots, sanded it down and added a second coat of filler primer. 

After this I did a thin layer of wood filler.  ( I like to mix the two fillers, bondo for the bigger deeper stuff and the wood filler for the shallow stuff.)  Then I added a layer of black primer.  The black is purely so I can see the spots that still need work.

I wet sand with a higher grit paper after each layer.  Some more wood filler and by this point I'm up to about 320 grit.

I think once more with my 400 grit and then we can put on our base metallic.

Ursa Wren WIP
WIP Armor
WIP Helmet

Vercopaanir

• Fix'em or Finish'em
« Reply #28 on: Oct 01, 2021, 09:32 PM »
I just realized that I never posted the painted bucket on here.  It does still need to be weathered but here it is with all the paint on.

And then after the touch-up to the copper in some places

Ursa Wren WIP
WIP Armor
WIP Helmet

Vercopaanir

• Fix'em or Finish'em
« Reply #29 on: Oct 30, 2021, 10:03 PM »
I have been working on getting the visor installed for the last couple of days and it's finally in!  I haven't tightened it down yet but it's more or less installed.  I also reinforced the cheeks and dome with a bit of resin and fiberglass mat.

Both of those areas are sanded down and now we just need to determine fan and battery pack placement before we get the final padding in.

I am also making her a second set of shoulders that will help bulk out her frame for bobble head prevention.

Ursa Wren WIP
WIP Armor
WIP Helmet

Aster Veris

• "Monarch of mud"
  • Awards EnviroOps Beastmaster Brigade Member
« Reply #30 on: Nov 05, 2021, 03:05 PM »
Wow can't believe I haven't seen the helmet! Looks epic  :<3:

OM #2630 | BM #394 | they/them | mav oya'la clan |IG: @ plant.alorian | Aster WIP

Vercopaanir

• Fix'em or Finish'em
« Reply #31 on: Nov 05, 2021, 06:23 PM »
Wow can't believe I haven't seen the helmet! Looks epic  :<3:

Thank you!  It was time consuming but I think the results were worth it.

I finished painting the over-shoulders.

Then I finished painting on the sigil that I had designed for this kit.

After which we got it all together and did another test fit so I could mark where on the furs I would need to sew them.  She's also been dying to put it all on and jumped at the chance to suit up when I mentioned it.  The left shoulder I had disconnected and reconnected but I didn't get it back in the right place so I will need to adjust it.  Yes it's sitting both higher and tipped forward funny,  I will be fixing it shortly.

We've also still got a little to much fabric bunching up around waist, so I have a little more tailoring to do on the flight suit.

Ursa Wren WIP
WIP Armor
WIP Helmet

Aster Veris

• "Monarch of mud"
« Reply #32 on: Nov 07, 2021, 10:00 PM »
She looks great! Awesome work!

For the bunching on the waist, have you tried just pulling up the belt/kama to her waist? It seems a bit low and hanging on her hips instead of at a higher point. My belt is a little below my waist and I tuck the flack vest in, which eliminates the need for tailoring the blue fabric. For women or people who want a more feminine look I definitely recommend having the belt up higher and eliminating that little space of flightsuit.

Also you've done well getting rid of the bobble head with the shoulders, but her torso looks a bit small compared to her helmet. Maybe try adding some pouches or things to her belt? I know your main kit has a lot of extra tools and pouches and I think that would make her torso, not just her head and shoulders, look wider.

OM #2630 | BM #394 | they/them | mav oya'la clan |IG: @ plant.alorian | Aster WIP

Vercopaanir

• Fix'em or Finish'em
« Reply #33 on: Nov 09, 2021, 08:18 AM »
She looks great! Awesome work!

For the bunching on the waist, have you tried just pulling up the belt/kama to her waist? It seems a bit low and hanging on her hips instead of at a higher point. My belt is a little below my waist and I tuck the flack vest in, which eliminates the need for tailoring the blue fabric. For women or people who want a more feminine look I definitely recommend having the belt up higher and eliminating that little space of flightsuit.

Also you've done well getting rid of the bobble head with the shoulders, but her torso looks a bit small compared to her helmet. Maybe try adding some pouches or things to her belt? I know your main kit has a lot of extra tools and pouches and I think that would make her torso, not just her head and shoulders, look wider.

Thanks!  I see we have similar thoughts on how to make this better.  ;)   The kama and sash are hanging low because she lost 10 lbs!  A 5'7" person should not weigh 100lbs.  She cannot afford to lose weight so I'm trying to get her to eat more and better.  If not, I'll actually have to tighten everything including her vest and drag her to the dietician again. 

Her torso definitely looks too small compared to how much I bulked her shoulders out.  We are planning several pouches of assorted sizes (Her request is that they are not all the same size).  I also will be adding some knives to the back of her belt and I want to make her a shoulder-sling type bag to carry.  We're also thinking some trophies and maybe a bandolier/suspender type rig to add just a bit more width front to back and also provide more room for the multitude of knives that she wants to carry. 

Ursa Wren WIP
WIP Armor
WIP Helmet

Vercopaanir

• Fix'em or Finish'em
« Reply #34 on: Nov 14, 2021, 08:25 PM »
The knife sheath for the blades that she wants on her lower back are mostly done!  I still need to scuff them up a bit and add a few weathering washes but the majority of the work is done.

Ursa Wren WIP
WIP Armor
WIP Helmet

Aster Veris

• "Monarch of mud"
« Reply #35 on: Nov 17, 2021, 06:40 PM »
Knives look really good! I think the pouch idea is good, make sure your sister is staying safe and healthy  :<3:

Vercopaanir

• Fix'em or Finish'em
« Reply #36 on: Dec 01, 2021, 03:02 PM »
Knives look really good! I think the pouch idea is good, make sure your sister is staying safe and healthy  :<3:

Thanks!  Doing my best to keep everyone healthy.  ;)

Update:  This is so close to app photo time.  I was hoping to have it approved by the end of this year but it might not be quite done in time.

Pouches made and weathered, with clay teeth sculpted by me. 

These are before being weathered.

After being weathered, this was the final result.

I weathered the gloves.

Then I weathered both the wrist guards and attached the strap to hold the bite guard hand plate to the glove.

And I strung together some teeth as a first sign of affection and to use as the hold across the chest for the fur capelet.

Ursa Wren WIP
WIP Armor
WIP Helmet

Aster Veris

• "Monarch of mud"
« Reply #37 on: Dec 02, 2021, 10:11 PM »
Awesome work as always!

Vercopaanir

• Fix'em or Finish'em
« Reply #38 on: Dec 05, 2021, 08:47 PM »
We put it all together so we could get some last minute adjustments.  Still not entirely satisfied with how the shoulder sit.

Her belt keeps sliding down in the front instead of staying where it should on the grey sash.  As such I'm thinking a bandolier might solve that problem but she's not keen on the idea.  So maybe some loops built into the sash to hold it up...going to have to keep brainstorming this one.

Ursa Wren WIP
WIP Armor
WIP Helmet
« Reply #39 on: Dec 05, 2021, 09:12 PM »
Looks amazing. Fantastic job!  :like:

Tramp Graphics

• Illustrator
« Reply #40 on: Dec 05, 2021, 10:07 PM »
We put it all together so we could get some last minute adjustments.  Still not entirely satisfied with how the shoulder sit.

Her belt keeps sliding down in the front instead of staying where it should on the grey sash.  As such I'm thinking a bandolier might solve that problem but she's not keen on the idea.  So maybe some loops built into the sash to hold it up...going to have to keep brainstorming this one.

Try sewing some belt keepers to the sash. They’re normally used to secure a utility belt to the belt that holds up your pants, thus keeping it from sliding around. I use them to secure my codpiece and Kama in place.

Aster Veris

• "Monarch of mud"
« Reply #41 on: Dec 09, 2021, 12:10 PM »
She looks awesome!
Once again, I think you should at least try to move the waist items up. The little strip of her blue flightsuit that is seen seems unnecessary. The belt/kamma/etc is currently hanging off of her hips. They should really be at her waist to avoid things slipping down. Try putting the girth belt on so it slightly overlaps with the vest. You won't have the baggy flightsuit problem and my guess is that it will fit her better.
And I agree the shoulders sit weird, I'm unsure how to fix them though.

Vercopaanir

• Fix'em or Finish'em
« Reply #42 on: Dec 11, 2021, 10:01 PM »
She looks awesome!
Once again, I think you should at least try to move the waist items up. The little strip of her blue flightsuit that is seen seems unnecessary. The belt/kamma/etc is currently hanging off of her hips. They should really be at her waist to avoid things slipping down. Try putting the girth belt on so it slightly overlaps with the vest. You won't have the baggy flightsuit problem and my guess is that it will fit her better.
And I agree the shoulders sit weird, I'm unsure how to fix them though.

Thanks!
I think I've figured out the shoulder but I won't be sure until we do another test fit.
We are not planning on eliminating the green flightsuit from showing for two reasons.  Firstly she's too long in the torso.  The top of the kama sits at the widest point of her hips allowing the grey to reach and pass her natural waist line.  What really needs to happen is to get the belt to sit in the proper place instead of dropping down onto her hips. (I have a plan.)  Secondly I didn't make the vest long enough to tuck into her sash.  To pull it up that high would put it on her rib cage which is also in the wrong spot to have waist items.  Also we both prefer the look of having the green show which is similar to how the traditional Boba Fett look was.  His flightsuit is visible in the gap between vest and waist items.  It's just not a noticeable because they are so close in color.

Looks amazing. Fantastic job!  :like:

Thank you!  ;D

Update:

Painted the head of the chicago screws for her shoulders and did a bit of work on the knife that is going to be strapped to her one calf.  I forgot to take pictures of the knife progress.  I'm still not happy with how it is coming out thus far so I might change it anyway.

Ursa Wren WIP
WIP Armor
WIP Helmet

Vercopaanir

• Fix'em or Finish'em
« Reply #43 on: Dec 24, 2021, 08:16 PM »
I made a few belt keepers and sewed them onto the sash.

I also sewed in some more darts onto the sash to help it lay better and added a few more stitches onto the pouches to help them hang better.

Ursa Wren WIP
WIP Armor
WIP Helmet

Tramp Graphics

• Illustrator
« Reply #44 on: Dec 25, 2021, 12:09 AM »
Looking good.  :8):

Aster Veris

• "Monarch of mud"
« Reply #45 on: Dec 27, 2021, 09:57 PM »
Looks awesome! Btw, where do you get the kind of leather that you used for the keepers? I'm trying to get into that stuff but have no idea where to get it  :laugh:

Vercopaanir

• Fix'em or Finish'em
« Reply #46 on: Dec 28, 2021, 11:09 AM »
Looks awesome! Btw, where do you get the kind of leather that you used for the keepers? I'm trying to get into that stuff but have no idea where to get it  :laugh:

So I tend to be a scrap shopper.  The brown upper layer of leather is a 1.5oz  clearance bin leather from the local Tandy Leather shop.  I pretty much shop the last chance stuff exclusively.   The lighter red-ish tan suede was left over from another project and is about 2 oz in weight.  I think I got it as part of a clearance bundle at the local crafts store. (Leather thickness is measured in oz.  the thicker the leather the higher the oz.)  I glued the two layers together to get a thicker sturdy strap.

Honestly, I source leather from pretty much anywhere.  Old leather coats, old leather couches, I was recently given leather boat seat covers (The grey leather on my aquatic build is where I am using that).  The only time I actually buy full price leather is if I need a thick strap of leather for a belt (8oz leather generally) and I don't already have a leather belt I picked up on clearance or at a thrift store.  If I am going to buy leather I tend to head for Tandy.  Good quality and decent prices with fair leather making practices.  I glue layers of leather together to get the thickness I want and then add stitching or rivets to strengthen and help hold the layers together.

Ursa Wren WIP
WIP Armor
WIP Helmet

Aster Veris

• "Monarch of mud"
« Reply #47 on: Dec 28, 2021, 06:45 PM »
So I tend to be a scrap shopper.  The brown upper layer of leather is a 1.5oz  clearance bin leather from the local Tandy Leather shop.  I pretty much shop the last chance stuff exclusively.   The lighter red-ish tan suede was left over from another project and is about 2 oz in weight.  I think I got it as part of a clearance bundle at the local crafts store. (Leather thickness is measured in oz.  the thicker the leather the higher the oz.)  I glued the two layers together to get a thicker sturdy strap.

Honestly, I source leather from pretty much anywhere.  Old leather coats, old leather couches, I was recently given leather boat seat covers (The grey leather on my aquatic build is where I am using that).  The only time I actually buy full price leather is if I need a thick strap of leather for a belt (8oz leather generally) and I don't already have a leather belt I picked up on clearance or at a thrift store.  If I am going to buy leather I tend to head for Tandy.  Good quality and decent prices with fair leather making practices.  I glue layers of leather together to get the thickness I want and then add stitching or rivets to strengthen and help hold the layers together.

Awesome, thank you for the advice!

Vercopaanir

• Fix'em or Finish'em
« Reply #48 on: Jan 09, 2022, 04:25 PM »
Alright got the padding in the helmet and we took the pre-app photos

Ursa Wren WIP
WIP Armor
WIP Helmet

jethroskull

• Awards Donated four quarters of 2024. Donated four quarters of 2023.
« Reply #49 on: Jan 09, 2022, 06:11 PM »
That’s such a cool kit!

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!