Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Build Log / WIP: ongoing, never really Finished...

• 97 Replies
Re: Build Log / WIP: Body Armor
« Reply #90 on: May 04, 2022, 09:32 PM »
Sharpened Block O Durasteel (tm) looks pretty sweet, very characterful for an original Mando. I keep returning to the idea of jet boots myself. That framework for them is fantastic! Did I miss what its made of/from? Sure looks like metal to me.

Thanks! I do like my Sharpened Block O Durasteel (tm) brand cutting thing.
I'm on the fence between naming it Stabby (short for Stab-itha), or Stabby (short for Stab-igail).

The jet boot base plate is sheet aluminum; I took the template for my shins, shortened the top, and modified them to accept the little box shape (including big access hole in case I add anything electric in there. - I designed the boxes as a componenet for integrated jump jets for a back plate, which I scrapped in favor of a true jetpack.

Aster Veris

• CEO of socks
« Reply #91 on: May 11, 2022, 12:32 AM »
Brigades stuff looks awesome! Great work as always  :like:

MMCC #2630 | they/them | mav oya'la clan |IG: @ plant.alorian | Aster WIP
« Reply #92 on: May 20, 2022, 06:38 PM »
I gave myself a little reward - I'd been holding off putting stripes on my helmet until I got OM.
I painted them by hand in acrylic (I did mask off the rectangles) to make them seem rougher, more field applied - I wasn't 100% at first.

Super Neon.  But then I added washes of Umber and Brown, and I'm satisfied with how they have turned out now.

Also, I worked some on my jet boots. I think they are at about 90%.  I found some perfect plumbing fittings - 1/2" to 1" copper reducers - to make some nozzles.  I torched them for a bit for some Very Real heat discoloration, bolted them to the plates, and mounted the boxes permanently. 

And, of course, Danger Stripes.

Next up for this upgrade project: I need to add some paint chipping/wear and tear with physical damage and add a bunch of space grime to bring the level of weathering into alignment.
I may re-work the straps to work a little better but they function for now.
I think I will make a knife sheath and thread the shin/calf armor straps through loops on the back of the sheath to keep my big knife ready for action.
I'm considering some heel plates, leaving them bare aluminum but torch-coloring them for The Look.

Vercopaanir

• Fix'em or Finish'em
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 15+ invasions Medic Brigade Member Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #93 on: May 22, 2022, 05:42 PM »
I like that rocket boot design!    I also complete agree with the kill stripes, the weathering made them perfect!!!

Don't cry because it is over, smile because it happened. -Dr. Seuss

Ursa Wren WIP
WIP Armor
WIP Helmet
WIP Weapons Post Imperial Build
Re: Build Log / WIP: ongoing, never really Finished...
« Reply #94 on: Jun 17, 2022, 04:42 PM »
So I got to do my first invasion as an OM, and it was also an official LFL-sponsored event so big energy.  Our sibling groups had presence there too, so I got to hang with some Rebel Legion, 501st, Astromech Builders, and Dark Empire folks. Everyone was awesome and we had a great time tag-teaming the crowd. I got assigned to be a Mysterious Cool Space Dude with a 501st Boba - so we were basically mobbed by kids and adults the entire time we were out because everyone loves Boba Fett. As usual when I'm suited up, I was having so much fun Mando-ing about that I got basically one picture for myself.

We had Jawas with us, and as soon as we posted up they scooted off and caused Jawa Chaostm - I wish I had good pics but they were working the crowd and it was awesome.

After my shift was done I took a little time to watch some sportsball.

Happy Blue Mando (but tired! and hot!)

I'm going to do this as many more times as I am physically capable of doing it - the kids' excitement and the unfiltered joy of adults that grew up on Star Wars like I did is pure happy brain chemicals.

Cattriss Wren

• "Vurel verburyc, draar solus"
« Reply #95 on: Jun 18, 2022, 10:29 AM »
That's looks like so much fun!! :porg2: can't wait till I can troop!

my armor. http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=203296.0

"Mandalorians don't make threats. We make promises"

"Everyone has a struggle in life. The key is turning that struggle into your weapon."

Vercopaanir

• Fix'em or Finish'em
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 15+ invasions Medic Brigade Member Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #96 on: Jun 18, 2022, 05:57 PM »
I'm going to do this as many more times as I am physically capable of doing it - the kids' excitement and the unfiltered joy of adults that grew up on Star Wars like I did is pure happy brain chemicals.

It's addicting.   :D 

Looks like you had fun!

Don't cry because it is over, smile because it happened. -Dr. Seuss

Ursa Wren WIP
WIP Armor
WIP Helmet
WIP Weapons Post Imperial Build

Fenn Beviin

• MMCC #: 2116
  • Awards Mandalorian Protector Brigade Member
« Reply #97 on: Today at 01:51 PM »
Looking good next to that Boba!

Kit is looking great  :like:

"Try not to become a man of success, but a man of value."

Instagram: mythos_fenn_shysa

Mythos Fenn Arms (A Sales Thread): https://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=174182.msg2066382#new

Fenn Shysa WIP: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=80765.0

SEE-5 blaster pistol and misc blasters: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=110659.msg1820500

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!