Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Build Log / WIP: ongoing, never really Finished...

• 115 Replies
Re: Build Log / WIP: Body Armor
« Reply #90 on: May 04, 2022, 09:32 PM »
Sharpened Block O’ Durasteel (tm) looks pretty sweet, very characterful for an original Mando. I keep returning to the idea of jet boots myself. That framework for them is fantastic! Did I miss what it’s made of/from? Sure looks like metal to me.

Thanks! I do like my Sharpened Block O’ Durasteel (tm) brand cutting thing.
I'm on the fence between naming it Stabby (short for Stab-itha), or Stabby (short for Stab-igail).

The jet boot base plate is sheet aluminum; I took the template for my shins, shortened the top, and modified them to accept the little box shape (including big access hole in case I add anything electric in there. - I designed the boxes as a componenet for integrated jump jets for a back plate, which I scrapped in favor of a true jetpack.

Aster Veris

• CEO of socks
« Reply #91 on: May 11, 2022, 12:32 AM »
Brigades stuff looks awesome! Great work as always  :like:

MMCC #2630 | they/them | mav oya'la clan |IG: @ plant.alorian | Aster WIP
« Reply #92 on: May 20, 2022, 06:38 PM »
I gave myself a little reward - I'd been holding off putting stripes on my helmet until I got OM.
I painted them by hand in acrylic (I did mask off the rectangles) to make them seem rougher, more field applied - I wasn't 100% at first.

Super Neon.  But then I added washes of Umber and Brown, and I'm satisfied with how they have turned out now.

Also, I worked some on my jet boots. I think they are at about 90%.  I found some perfect plumbing fittings - 1/2" to 1" copper reducers - to make some nozzles.  I torched them for a bit for some Very Real heat discoloration, bolted them to the plates, and mounted the boxes permanently. 

And, of course, Danger Stripes.

Next up for this upgrade project: I need to add some paint chipping/wear and tear with physical damage and add a bunch of space grime to bring the level of weathering into alignment.
I may re-work the straps to work a little better but they function for now.
I think I will make a knife sheath and thread the shin/calf armor straps through loops on the back of the sheath to keep my big knife ready for action.
I'm considering some heel plates, leaving them bare aluminum but torch-coloring them for The Look.

Vercopaanir

• Fix'em or Finish'em
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 15+ invasions Medic Brigade Member Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #93 on: May 22, 2022, 05:42 PM »
I like that rocket boot design!    I also complete agree with the kill stripes, the weathering made them perfect!!!

Don't cry because it is over, smile because it happened. -Dr. Seuss

Ursa Wren WIP
WIP Armor
WIP Helmet
WIP Weapons Post Imperial Build
Re: Build Log / WIP: ongoing, never really Finished...
« Reply #94 on: Jun 17, 2022, 04:42 PM »
So I got to do my first invasion as an OM, and it was also an official LFL-sponsored event so big energy.  Our sibling groups had presence there too, so I got to hang with some Rebel Legion, 501st, Astromech Builders, and Dark Empire folks. Everyone was awesome and we had a great time tag-teaming the crowd. I got assigned to be a Mysterious Cool Space Dude with a 501st Boba - so we were basically mobbed by kids and adults the entire time we were out because everyone loves Boba Fett. As usual when I'm suited up, I was having so much fun Mando-ing about that I got basically one picture for myself.

We had Jawas with us, and as soon as we posted up they scooted off and caused Jawa Chaostm - I wish I had good pics but they were working the crowd and it was awesome.

After my shift was done I took a little time to watch some sportsball.

Happy Blue Mando (but tired! and hot!)

I'm going to do this as many more times as I am physically capable of doing it - the kids' excitement and the unfiltered joy of adults that grew up on Star Wars like I did is pure happy brain chemicals.

Cattriss Wren

• "Vurel verburyc, draar solus"
« Reply #95 on: Jun 18, 2022, 10:29 AM »
That's looks like so much fun!! :porg2: can't wait till I can troop!

my armor. http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=203296.0

"Mandalorians don't make threats. We make promises"

"Everyone has a struggle in life. The key is turning that struggle into your weapon."

Vercopaanir

• Fix'em or Finish'em
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 15+ invasions Medic Brigade Member Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #96 on: Jun 18, 2022, 05:57 PM »
I'm going to do this as many more times as I am physically capable of doing it - the kids' excitement and the unfiltered joy of adults that grew up on Star Wars like I did is pure happy brain chemicals.

It's addicting.   :D 

Looks like you had fun!

Ursa Wren WIP
WIP Armor
WIP Helmet

Fenn Beviin

• MMCC #: 2116
  • Awards Mandalorian Protector Brigade Member
« Reply #97 on: Jun 29, 2022, 01:51 PM »
Looking good next to that Boba!

Kit is looking great  :like:

"Try not to become a man of success, but a man of value."

Instagram: mythos_fenn_shysa

Mythos Fenn Arms (A Sales Thread): https://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=174182.msg2066382#new

Fenn Shysa WIP: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=80765.0

SEE-5 blaster pistol and misc blasters: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=110659.msg1820500

Aster Veris

• CEO of socks
« Reply #98 on: Jul 02, 2022, 10:50 PM »
Glad you had a great first troop, it's so awesome and personally I wish I could troop more.

« Reply #99 on: Jul 04, 2022, 08:29 PM »
I've worked a bit on my latest upgrade. Very nearly done!
Portable High Ground WIP after the jump.
I'll post some beauty shots for the record here.
Overall shot of Final Space Grime (for now)

Details:

Maybe I can get this thing fully out of my head soon so I can actually work on my required accessories for my Space Pirate aspirations.

Vercopaanir

• Fix'em or Finish'em
« Reply #100 on: Jul 05, 2022, 08:35 AM »
Fabulous work!  The portable high ground will be a great addition to your kit.

Ursa Wren WIP
WIP Armor
WIP Helmet

Fenn Beviin

• MMCC #: 2116
  • Awards Mandalorian Protector Brigade Member
« Reply #101 on: Jul 05, 2022, 10:08 AM »
That's a good looking custom jetpack dude!

Well done

"Try not to become a man of success, but a man of value."

Instagram: mythos_fenn_shysa

Mythos Fenn Arms (A Sales Thread): https://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=174182.msg2066382#new

Fenn Shysa WIP: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=80765.0

SEE-5 blaster pistol and misc blasters: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=110659.msg1820500

Aster Veris

• CEO of socks
« Reply #102 on: Jul 05, 2022, 11:51 PM »
Portable high ground!!!!
Been following on facebook, really great work vod. This will be a fine addition to your collection.

« Reply #103 on: Jul 16, 2022, 07:35 PM »
And we're back with a few upgrades, some new and visible and some that are structural and hidden.
First, I re-worked the attachment of my cod and butt plates - they were originally just stitched on with heavy-duty tread. Super durable and all, but they weren't easy to remove. So I put some snaps on and now I can remove plates for washing my girth/sash, or swap out parts. I'm thinking to add an extender tab matching the main fabric to convert the sash/girth to a cummerbund for a P/I variant kit.

It's pretty well invisible.

and the rear:

For more visible items, I've put together a sheath for my combat knife:

a sheath for some throwers:

And made the first of two reload holders:

and did some dry-brushing and rub'n'buff work on the main bodies for a bunch more reloads. Knives don't run out of ammo but blasters do...

I've got a few more things on the project list like always, I'll see when I can get another block of time for making stuff.

Kurshi BeJahaal

• I don't roll on Shabbos. ב"ה
  • Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Order of the Ori'Ramikad 40+ hrs of Charity Work Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #104 on: Jul 22, 2022, 01:04 PM »
I have missed so much in this post but seeing this kit nearly finished is really exciting! You're looking incredible, man. You do some seriously stellar work!  :o

MMCC #1484¦¦64 Career Invasions¦¦Rancor Clan
Helmet Scratch Build||Beskar||Privateer||Protector

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!