Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Mandalorian "Parade Armor" Concept

• 19 Replies

Jennari

• "You gave up our ways, remember?"
  • Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022
Re: Mandalorian "Parade Armor" Concept
« Reply #15 on: Jul 21, 2021, 03:16 PM »
This should help, ner vod. And there's more where that came from if you need references.

« Reply #16 on: Aug 17, 2021, 07:03 PM »
Ok, back to work on this. Thank you all for your input, definitely has helped with quite a few points I've been considering. One substantial question has just come up and it's a question that might cause a discussion not only for this but also generally for Post-Imp:

Pictured here is the newest iteration of armor  dubbed "Bro Katan" from Marko Makaj, one of the modelers very involved in the scene. Comparing it to the style of plates I'm going for, I'd say this lines up more with the overall look I'm trying to achieve with my armor as a more refined design. I am not entirely sure if this plate system has come up in discussion yet but if it has I'd love a point in the right direction to that thread. I know that custom versions of the existing plates are allowed on a case-by-case basis but figured I'd ask before I print anything. I AM strongly considering both the Bo-style shoulder straps as well as some enlarged and slightly modified versions of the Bo-style shoulders, mainly doing some light cuts to make it more angular like the Bro-Katan chestplate. Any comments, concerns, or suggestions are as always greatly appreciated!

« Last Edit: Aug 19, 2021, 10:12 AM by Osprey » Logged
« Reply #17 on: Oct 22, 2021, 12:53 PM »
Been a bit hasn't it? Handling a couple other projects with this slowly but surely getting finished (I really need to make a WIP thread soon). Anyway, I've gone ahead and made a set of the "bro katan" chest plates as a planned final concept, but if all else fails I do have a set of Beskar style chest plates mostly ready. The thing that I'm currently considering is this:

Link for the original: https://www.etsy.com/listing/974935120/mandalorian-inspired-thigh-plates-by?ref=shop_home_active_4&crt=1

Another piece by Ryley Ameden at Alter Ego, I think this thigh design mirrored for both legs fits the more hard-edge geometry I'm going for better than the old Din thighs, and the cutouts up top fit with a detail on the helmet. My question right now is any recommendations for those details? I wasn't sure if I'd leave them as they are in the model, do small lights, or fill them in with strips of acrylic, similar to the spot on my rifle stock. Small thing but would appreciate any suggestions!

Vercopaanir

• Fix'em or Finish'em
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 15+ invasions Medic Brigade Member Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #18 on: Oct 26, 2021, 06:38 PM »
The idea of lights in those slots certainly has some appeal. It would really make the armor seem higher tech/cutting edge/ top of the line mando gear.  I also like the idea of acrylics as that would help tie the whole thing together.  I think I'm leaning more towards the second option for the overall look reason.   

Don't cry because it is over, smile because it happened. -Dr. Seuss

Ursa Wren WIP
WIP Armor
WIP Helmet
WIP Weapons Post Imperial Build
« Reply #19 on: Nov 04, 2021, 11:20 AM »

Ignore some of the overspray, but this is one of the rough ideas I'm planning for the mockup and the general idea I'm doing for accent colors:

Basecoat of deep green (Here Montana Black Banknote, though that might change depending on consistency of finish)
recessed areas get a chromed silver to replicate Beskar
Raised accents get a gold finish

This was the general idea I was using to keep it from just being fully painted on and to give it its own flair as opposed to solely ripping the Almec designs. I do want to keep the main color green-so raised sections like on the thigh would remain green, with maybe a thin outline in gold. Other than inevitable better paint work, was wondering if there's anything else that could be considered in this design philosophy. Thanks!

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!