Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

First WIP - Beylora

• 14 Replies
First WIP - Beylora
« on: Jul 02, 2021, 08:19 AM »
Here's my first draft concept drawing.

IG: @thebeylora
Re: First WIP - Beylora
« Reply #1 on: Jul 02, 2021, 12:55 PM »
I like the bold, bird-of-paradise feel to it.  This kit will certainly stand out!

evening.echiveria

• CEO of socks
« Reply #2 on: Jul 03, 2021, 07:47 PM »
I really like the colors, you look like a scarlet macaw!
By the way, I don't believe a neck/collar plate is acceptable for post imperial style. If you really wanted it, you'd have to ask the app team.

they/them | mav oya'la clan | Aster WIP
« Reply #3 on: Jul 03, 2021, 08:34 PM »
I really like the colors, you look like a scarlet macaw!
By the way, I don't believe a neck/collar plate is acceptable for post imperial style. If you really wanted it, you'd have to ask the app team.

Good eye! That's exactly what I was going for. Originally, I was thinking of a valkyrie/swan aesthetic, but all the colour combos were so bland. This is much more fun.
Thanks for the tip! I'll be sure to look into it. Though I'm thinking of trying for the force hunter brigade and I believe they require gorgets. Hmm.. research time.

Cattriss Wren

• "Vurel narir'shekemir, draar solus"
« Reply #4 on: Jul 07, 2021, 08:25 AM »
Cool concept :like: you could do wings on the side of your helmet since your going for bird like colors.

my armor. http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=203296.0

"Mandalorians don't make threats. We make promises"

"Everyone has a struggle in life. The key is turning that struggle into your weapon."
« Reply #5 on: Jul 07, 2021, 10:16 AM »
Cool concept :like: you could do wings on the side of your helmet since your going for bird like colors.

I was going to suggest that the wings be subtle but caught myself. Mandalorians don't often do 'subtle'....
A wing or feather motif along the upper white swoosh on the back of the helmet could look pretty rad if stylized and the paints are layered and weathered in nicely.

In this case I think a gorget would be an armored neck plate.  A pair of roughly half-circle / U-shaped Beskar plates hinged together and put around the neck seal would do the trick for a gorget - paint it up shiny and then put some horizontal linear burn marks to show where the lightsabers didn't do the job. 

Cattriss Wren

« Reply #6 on: Jul 07, 2021, 11:36 AM »
that i was thinking as a idea, is that the wings could be something like sabine has.

"Everyone has a struggle in life. The key is turning that struggle into your weapon."

evening.echiveria

• CEO of socks
« Reply #7 on: Jul 07, 2021, 12:37 PM »
I totally echo what Cattriss said! Mess around with some bird shapes and patterns and come up with a design you like, then repeat those designs in different colors to resemble feathers or wings! I think the mando armor from rebels can be great inspiration.

they/them | mav oya'la clan | Aster WIP
« Reply #8 on: Jul 11, 2021, 05:12 PM »
I was going to suggest that the wings be subtle but caught myself. Mandalorians don't often do 'subtle'....
A wing or feather motif along the upper white swoosh on the back of the helmet could look pretty rad if stylized and the paints are layered and weathered in nicely.

In this case I think a gorget would be an armored neck plate.  A pair of roughly half-circle / U-shaped Beskar plates hinged together and put around the neck seal would do the trick for a gorget - paint it up shiny and then put some horizontal linear burn marks to show where the lightsabers didn't do the job.

I have to say, that neck damage idea is super slick. I'm having a hard time finding gorget templates.
This is the only good reference I could find so far.

Regardless, I'll have to hold off until I get my chest plates done up first. I"ll play around with cardboard to see what fits.

I was contemplating painting my back plate and the back of my helmet completely black. So my mando would be camouflaged brom behind, almost like a shark. I'll be playing around with the helmet details for sure though. I'll probably throw on some stylized Jaig eyes.

« Reply #9 on: Jul 12, 2021, 10:19 AM »
Medieval re-enactors have lots of options for keeping blades outside of neckmeat.

http://www.armourarchive.org/patterns/gorget_ab/

Meant for steel but can be adapted to Sintra. The flares at top and bottom could be omitted in this case since you are unlikely to get sworded in the neck and won’t need the reinforcing shape.

« Reply #10 on: Jul 25, 2021, 02:40 PM »
Alright, here's version 2

« Reply #11 on: Jul 25, 2021, 05:02 PM »
hella rad, vod.  It keeps the original idea well.
I think the shoulder plates might look better in red. Otherwise your color shifts look good to my eye.
The additional detail of outlining the iron heart is solid, the neck protection looks good, and switching the girth to green feels right.

Cattriss Wren

« Reply #12 on: Jul 25, 2021, 06:49 PM »
I love version two!!!! Very beautiful!  :like:

Kurshi BeJahaal

• I don't roll on Shabbos. ב"ה
  • Awards 40+ hrs of Charity Work Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #13 on: Jul 25, 2021, 11:29 PM »
Following!

MMCC #1484¦¦50 Career Invasions¦¦Rancor Clan 
B.E.A.R.D.S #97 ¦ M.A.R.S. #21
Helmet Scratch Build||Beskar||Privateer||Protector

Vercopaanir

• Fix'em or Finish'em
  • Awards Special Operations Brigade Member Medic Brigade Member
« Reply #14 on: Jul 26, 2021, 12:10 PM »
This is beautiful!

Don't cry because it is over, smile because it happened. -Dr. Seuss

Ursa Wren WIP
WIP Armor
WIP Helmet
WIP Weapons
Uur Shaadlan Facebook

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!