Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

First WIP - Beylora

• 20 Replies
First WIP - Beylora
« on: Jul 02, 2021, 08:19 AM »
Here's my first draft concept drawing.

IG: @thebeylora

Second Son

• Awards Special Weapons EnviroOps Special Operations Brigade Member
Re: First WIP - Beylora
« Reply #1 on: Jul 02, 2021, 12:55 PM »
I like the bold, bird-of-paradise feel to it.  This kit will certainly stand out!

Aster Veris

• "Monarch of mud"
  • Awards EnviroOps Beastmaster Brigade Member
« Reply #2 on: Jul 03, 2021, 07:47 PM »
I really like the colors, you look like a scarlet macaw!
By the way, I don't believe a neck/collar plate is acceptable for post imperial style. If you really wanted it, you'd have to ask the app team.

OM #2630 | BM #394 | they/them | mav oya'la clan |IG: @ plant.alorian | Aster WIP
« Reply #3 on: Jul 03, 2021, 08:34 PM »
I really like the colors, you look like a scarlet macaw!
By the way, I don't believe a neck/collar plate is acceptable for post imperial style. If you really wanted it, you'd have to ask the app team.

Good eye! That's exactly what I was going for. Originally, I was thinking of a valkyrie/swan aesthetic, but all the colour combos were so bland. This is much more fun.
Thanks for the tip! I'll be sure to look into it. Though I'm thinking of trying for the force hunter brigade and I believe they require gorgets. Hmm.. research time.

Cattriss Wren

• "Vurel verburyc, draar solus"
« Reply #4 on: Jul 07, 2021, 08:25 AM »
Cool concept :like: you could do wings on the side of your helmet since your going for bird like colors.

my armor. http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=203296.0

"Mandalorians don't make threats. We make promises"

"Everyone has a struggle in life. The key is turning that struggle into your weapon."

Second Son

« Reply #5 on: Jul 07, 2021, 10:16 AM »
Cool concept :like: you could do wings on the side of your helmet since your going for bird like colors.

I was going to suggest that the wings be subtle but caught myself. Mandalorians don't often do 'subtle'....
A wing or feather motif along the upper white swoosh on the back of the helmet could look pretty rad if stylized and the paints are layered and weathered in nicely.

In this case I think a gorget would be an armored neck plate.  A pair of roughly half-circle / U-shaped Beskar plates hinged together and put around the neck seal would do the trick for a gorget - paint it up shiny and then put some horizontal linear burn marks to show where the lightsabers didn't do the job. 

Cattriss Wren

« Reply #6 on: Jul 07, 2021, 11:36 AM »
that i was thinking as a idea, is that the wings could be something like sabine has.

« Last Edit: Apr 04, 2022, 06:23 AM by Cattriss Wren » Logged

"Everyone has a struggle in life. The key is turning that struggle into your weapon."

Aster Veris

• "Monarch of mud"
« Reply #7 on: Jul 07, 2021, 12:37 PM »
I totally echo what Cattriss said! Mess around with some bird shapes and patterns and come up with a design you like, then repeat those designs in different colors to resemble feathers or wings! I think the mando armor from rebels can be great inspiration.

OM #2630 | BM #394 | they/them | mav oya'la clan |IG: @ plant.alorian | Aster WIP
« Reply #8 on: Jul 11, 2021, 05:12 PM »
I was going to suggest that the wings be subtle but caught myself. Mandalorians don't often do 'subtle'....
A wing or feather motif along the upper white swoosh on the back of the helmet could look pretty rad if stylized and the paints are layered and weathered in nicely.

In this case I think a gorget would be an armored neck plate.  A pair of roughly half-circle / U-shaped Beskar plates hinged together and put around the neck seal would do the trick for a gorget - paint it up shiny and then put some horizontal linear burn marks to show where the lightsabers didn't do the job.

I have to say, that neck damage idea is super slick. I'm having a hard time finding gorget templates.
This is the only good reference I could find so far.

Regardless, I'll have to hold off until I get my chest plates done up first. I"ll play around with cardboard to see what fits.

I was contemplating painting my back plate and the back of my helmet completely black. So my mando would be camouflaged brom behind, almost like a shark. I'll be playing around with the helmet details for sure though. I'll probably throw on some stylized Jaig eyes.

Second Son

« Reply #9 on: Jul 12, 2021, 10:19 AM »
Medieval re-enactors have lots of options for keeping blades outside of neckmeat.

http://www.armourarchive.org/patterns/gorget_ab/

Meant for steel but can be adapted to Sintra. The flares at top and bottom could be omitted in this case since you are unlikely to get sworded in the neck and won’t need the reinforcing shape.

« Reply #10 on: Jul 25, 2021, 02:40 PM »
Alright, here's version 2

Second Son

« Reply #11 on: Jul 25, 2021, 05:02 PM »
hella rad, vod.  It keeps the original idea well.
I think the shoulder plates might look better in red. Otherwise your color shifts look good to my eye.
The additional detail of outlining the iron heart is solid, the neck protection looks good, and switching the girth to green feels right.

Cattriss Wren

« Reply #12 on: Jul 25, 2021, 06:49 PM »
I love version two!!!! Very beautiful!  :like:

Kurshi BeJahaal

• I don't roll on Shabbos. ב"ה
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #13 on: Jul 25, 2021, 11:29 PM »
Following!

MMCC #1484¦¦64 Career Invasions¦¦Rancor Clan
Helmet Scratch Build||Beskar||Privateer||Protector

Vercopaanir

• Fix'em or Finish'em
  • Awards Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Award for 50 official invasions. Medic Brigade Member Special Operations Brigade Member Special Weapons
« Reply #14 on: Jul 26, 2021, 12:10 PM »
This is beautiful!

Ursa Wren WIP
WIP Armor
WIP Helmet
WIP Weapons [url=https://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=
« Reply #15 on: Apr 02, 2022, 12:13 AM »
Ni ceta, I haven't updated any of my progress on here. I've mostly been posting on my Instagram https://www.instagram.com/thebeylora/ (@thebeylora) out of convenience.
So here's a quick visual update of all my progress:

I wound up having my bucket, chest plate, and ab plate 3D printed by a member of my local clan.

The rest I made using sintra scraps I got for free from various local sign shops. Though, for the gauntlets, I hunted until I found some toilet brush holders at Walmart to use as a base. Heat forming the plates was super fun and easy. Unfortunately, my backplate experienced a fatal crack during the cutting process. So I need to find some more sintra to redo it.

Before you freak out, everything is loosely attached with duct tape here. I promise it fits better than it looks lol

Much was learned about spray painting and temperature requirements while racing against time for useable daylight hours after work.

Sadly with the Canadian winter creeping in, I had to call it quits until the next spring. Hopefully, I'll be able to start painting again soon.

Arco'thyel Wyshla

• Certified crazy cat mando
« Reply #16 on: Apr 03, 2022, 08:30 PM »
It's coming together real nicely. :like: Man, I hope you can get painting again, I'm really looking forward to your paint design!

| Hard Goods WIP | Soft Goods WIP | Planning Log |

"Visit Mandalore before Mandalore visits you. Take home some souvenirs—a slab of uj cake and a smack in the mouth." ―Baltan Carid

"Don’t take this the wrong way you guys, but uh, Mandalorians are crazy." ―Ezra Bridger
« Reply #17 on: Apr 03, 2022, 08:32 PM »
Thanks! In the meantime I started sewing a jacket for my flight suit. I’ll probably be starting a new thread for that project.

Second Son

« Reply #18 on: Apr 03, 2022, 08:51 PM »
  I'm looking forward to more - those colors oughta be amazing once you get them laid down.  That chrome layer is very nice, looks like a good foundation.

« Reply #19 on: Apr 05, 2022, 03:04 PM »
Looking great! Loving the paint job!  It's coming together!

My coworker has printed himself a Mando - I said that he should sign up here. He is a local as well.

I'm going to work with him to print some armor. I will have to find a helmet though. A 3D printer would take days to do.

Aster Veris

• "Monarch of mud"
« Reply #20 on: Apr 06, 2022, 02:18 PM »
Looking good! Really excited to see when you put some color down.
Your helmet looks nice but there are definitely still a bunch of print lines around the ear caps. Also did you ever get a definite answer about the neck plates? Post imp CRLs say they're not approvable but you changed the design around a bit.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!