Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Jarenís Soft Parts WIP

• 9 Replies

Jaren Calderian

• Heart of a warrior. Body, not so much.
Jarenís Soft Parts WIP
« on: Jul 13, 2021, 03:27 AM »
Link to my kit concept

Starting from the inside out, I guess.

This pile of goodies is hopefully going to become a pair of two-piece flightsuits. I have little to no experience with sewing so Iím relying on my partner to catch my mistakes :P. Weíve started mocking them up so hereís hoping we get all the bad rolls out at the start.

The gloves, belt and pouches were intended for my first kit concept, and Iím super happy to be able to recycle them here. Iíll probably add a couple of bigger pouches (and a holster, of course), as Iíd like to have a practical way to carry personal items. Iíd also like to cover the belt buckle, Iím thinking one of those classic rebel/Han-style buckles from A New Hope.

These were a great find, yard boots and suede half-chaps from a local saddlery store. Not too expensive either. The tags on the chaps will be removed (didnít actually see them until I was looking over the pictures). My only concern is the zippers and elastic at the back of the chaps.

If they donít pass muster Iím sure I can figure out some way to conceal them, or just get a new pair. The lighting doesnít show it very well, but all the browns are pretty similar in shade, which is helpful.

All feedback is welcome!

« Last Edit: Jul 13, 2021, 05:24 PM by Jaren Calderian » Logged
Post-Imp Kit Concept

Soft Parts: In Progress
Armour:
Helmet:
Gauntlets:
Weapons:

Jaren Calderian

Re: Jarenís Soft Parts WIP
« Reply #1 on: Jul 18, 2021, 01:34 AM »
Look upon my gigantic pants ye mighty, and despair  ;D.

This is my test pair, and Iím super happy with them. Iím learning to sew and also breaking in a new machine, so itís going pretty well so far. This weekís project is getting my good pair made. Theyíll be made a size down and then brought in to get that fitted look. The shirt will come once my partner is feeling better, sheís been off work sick for a few days and isnít really feeling up to teaching right now.

Yes, the crotch seam is inside out.  :P

Post-Imp Kit Concept

Armour:
Helmet:
Gauntlets:
Weapons:

Jaren Calderian

« Reply #2 on: Jul 24, 2021, 06:48 AM »
I made pants!

They're definitely too big, I know. I thought going down to a medium would be okay, but apparently not. It's good practice though! I'm going to make a new pair and take them in before I finish them so they'll fit better.

I did try them on with my old girth belt and some of my old plates, and I'm definitely close to the look I want.

The cod is only there for modesty's sake, as the fit in the crotch is a bit wierd with the belt on. I also don't remember the belt being that small. It's practically a corset now :laugh:.

Post-Imp Kit Concept

Armour:
Helmet:
Gauntlets:
Weapons:

Jaren Calderian

« Reply #3 on: Aug 09, 2021, 07:25 AM »
I had a really good weekend ;D.

I've been slacking a bit the last couple weeks, but decided to knuckle down and make some progress. It started with altering my pants to fit better.

Pins suck. I knew there was a reason I use quilting clips for my seams  :laugh:. Thank you, Adam Savage.

I then spent a good 7-8 hours working out how to construct the shirt. I'm a very amateur seamster. I tried dying a couple of old white dress shirts to match the pants, but quickly figured out that even with multiple dye baths it wasn't going to work.

I then took a crew neck sweater and mocked up a shirt pattern from that. It worked, but it was way too small. At this point I did something I would not EVER recommend. I winged it.

I grabbed  a bigger sweater...

...drew up a simple two piece pattern and went for it with my good fabric. Miraculously, I was rewarded for my hubris.

Please ignore the massive medieval tunic collar  :laugh:. I really wanted to make sure I could get my head through. The sleeves bunch up a bit where they're stitched together, but the double-sleeve is convincing enough.

That was Saturday. Sunday was a little more laid back, and consisted of a couple hours spent weaving a paracord girth belt, following Speeps' tutorial. Link

This was a really relaxing afternoon project, 10/10, would girth belt again.

With a good portion of the soft parts coming together, I decided to chuck on everything I have so far to see how it looks.

And one just for fun  :P.

It actually kinda looks like something from Star Wars! Seeing it all together is a huge motivation to keep this project moving. Holsters and weapons, equipment etc. will be dealt with at a later date, so for now it's just the vest, neckseal and cape to go before we get on to the hard stuff (literally).

Post-Imp Kit Concept

Armour:
Helmet:
Gauntlets:
Weapons:
« Reply #4 on: Aug 09, 2021, 09:18 AM »

It actually kinda looks like something from Star Wars! Seeing it all together is a huge motivation to keep this project moving. Holsters and weapons, equipment etc. will be dealt with at a later date, so for now it's just the vest, neckseal and cape to go before we get on to the hard stuff (literally).

Heck yeah it looks swarzy. Nice work, vod.

Jaren Calderian

« Reply #5 on: Sep 10, 2021, 06:02 PM »
Heck yeah it looks swarzy. Nice work, vod.

Cheers vod!

Oof, it's been a while. I was finally able to get my hands on some more poplin, so I could mock up my vest. I'm using Sionnach Studios' "Space Mercenary Vest" pattern, and after some adjustments this is the result.

Pretty happy with the fit, and its quilted so it should fit nice and snug. I've never made anything with quilting before so this should be interesting.
Work is about to pick up as we head into Summer production, so progress on this build might be a bit more sporadic going forward, but I'm still committed to having everything except the helmet and gauntlets built by the end of the year.

Post-Imp Kit Concept

Armour:
Helmet:
Gauntlets:
Weapons:
« Reply #6 on: Sep 19, 2021, 10:31 AM »
Fantastic kit so far!  I love your belt pouch style. Did you make them?

Jaren Calderian

« Reply #7 on: Sep 19, 2021, 07:23 PM »
Fantastic kit so far!  I love your belt pouch style. Did you make them?

Thanks vod!

They're actually Russian Mosin-Nagant pouches, the same kind that Zero the droid wears during the prison break in Chapter 6 (so they're actually canon!). They're one of the more common pouch styles that show up in surplus stores, though I've not seen many other mercs wearing them. I'd love to make my own pouches one day though!

(EDIT)

Feeling Good on a Wednesday! Not sure if this would count as a double post, so I'll stick it in here.

Spent a day just working on my kit, and the soft parts are finished! There's still a few little things that need to be adjusted but I'm happy with where it is now. I'm terrible at remembering to take progress pics so this is what you get :P.

Vest pieces already partly assembled:

Front and shoulders sewn together, kinda reminds me of one of those lothcat plushies that keep popping up in Filoni's shows :laugh: :

Fully assembled vest with quilting lines sewn in. There's supposed to be three lines sewn into the shoulders but I wasn't happy with how the pleather was bunching up, so one line it is. It's all hidden under the cape anyway.

Quick and dirty neckseal, took maybe an hour to make. Same fabric as the shirt and pants. It still needs some adjustment at the back, the flaps tend to work their way up above the cape.

The cape started out as this piece of fabric:

The pattern is from JustDesignsNorway on Etsy, and it takes a bit of work to get it sitting right but ends up looking like this:

I'll need to weather it up before it's done, but I'm really happy with how everything fits together at this stage. On to the plates!

« Last Edit: Sep 22, 2021, 05:30 AM by Jaren Calderian » Logged
Post-Imp Kit Concept

Armour:
Helmet:
Gauntlets:
Weapons:

Jono999DERP

• Tahl Ca'Tra
« Reply #8 on: Sep 23, 2021, 09:21 AM »
Thats looking awesome man! howd you do the details on the neck piece?

Modern Era Pilot
« Reply #9 on: Sep 23, 2021, 12:54 PM »
Great looking soft parts!
Just to make sure it doesn't hold you back, I'd recommend sewing a finished edge onto the cape. If its a single piece of fabric, fold the edge twice and stitch that or otherwise cover the edge in bias tape and stitch that on. If left raw like it appears to be, even though it doesn't appear to be fraying, it may get called out in app for not having a finished edge which usually constitutes the "raw cut" material. The CRL portion that covers that specifically is...
Dusters and Capes:
  • Capes used in lieu of a backplate must be of sturdy material and more substantial than a raw cut piece of material.

Regarding your gaiters. Step one is to remove the visible brand logo tags. The visible elastic will likely come up as an issue. The zipper, being on the rear or inside of leg, should be fine. To make sure the elastic and zipper don't give you trouble, I'd add a panel to cover over both; anchor on one side and place a velcro closure on the other. Kind of like how they hid the zippers on Din Djarins boots in the Mandalorian, if you've seen those(if not, link).

Aside from that, Ace job! Keep up the good work!

ďDraa HoconĒ
MMCC #2285, Wolves of Mandalor #60, MVS #97
UM WIP, Brigade WIP, Bo-Katan Belts, Sabine Holster, DW Leathers WIP

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!