Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Kota's WIP

• 11 Replies
Kota's WIP
« on: May 29, 2022, 09:28 PM »
Well, here we go vode, I finally worked up enough courage to make a WIP. Here's what I have so far...

Concept: https://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=211055.0

Flight suit:

Decided on altering some scrubs; I also took a scrub jacket and put the sleeves on the suit but BOY HOWDY that was difficult. Not done with it yet, still needs some wear and tear. Anyone have any tips on weathering cloth? I have considered rolling around on the cement like a cat  :laugh:

The boots:

I was lucky to find these second hand, so they were already nicely worn in. All that was need was some scuffing with sandpaper and watered down acrylic paint.

The gloves:

I'm not sure how to make these gloves more worn. I've taken sandpaper to the knuckle and finger areas but I'm afraid to make a hole.

That's all I have for now. The next thing up on the roster are the sash and flak vest which I'm hoping will be smoother sailing than the flight suit.

« Last Edit: Jun 01, 2022, 04:46 PM by nikipea » Logged

Aster Veris

• "Monarch of mud"
  • Awards EnviroOps Beastmaster Brigade Member
Re: Kota's WIP
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2022, 09:44 PM »
Nice start vod, looking good!
For cloth weathering, sometimes going at the edges with scissors or a dremel can cause some nice wear. Personally for cloth weathering I just use paint.
For the gloves I actually have the same pair but fingerless, this is how I did them. Just acrylic paint.

OM #2630 | BM #394 | they/them | mav oya'la clan |IG: @ plant.alorian | Aster WIP
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2022, 10:01 PM »
Nice start vod, looking good!
For cloth weathering, sometimes going at the edges with scissors or a dremel can cause some nice wear. Personally for cloth weathering I just use paint.
For the gloves I actually have the same pair but fingerless, this is how I did them. Just acrylic paint.

Excellent! Thank you, glove twin.

Second Son

• Awards Special Weapons EnviroOps Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2022, 10:36 AM »
Nice progress vod. For dark fabrics, you can use tans, greys, browns, yellow-y ochre, rusty/orange colors. Those colors will also show on light colored, silver, or black plates and IIRC you have yellows, a bit of black and blue and some silver/grey. So you should be able to do consistent colors of Space Grime across the whole kit pretty readily. Concentrate 'dirt' on the boots and lower leg plates. Some physical wear and a bit of grey on the knees and elbows will be good on the blue.  Umber is great for a bit of a sweat-stain around your collar, under arm areas, back of knees, and small of your back.

Do a lot of testing on scraps as you go, and don't get too crazy weathering your soft parts before you have your plates done.

LIke Aster (the Monarch of Mud) said, use acrylic paints. I primarily used Jacquard brand fabric paints - Dye-Na-Flow (its a very liquid acrylic paint that is almost a dye), their Neo-Paque(formulated for good cover and flexible hold, like leather shoe painting), and Textile (for fabrics!) product lines are all great. Pricier than standard craft acrylics but worth the cost IMO (and I wanted to treat myself a little). I thinned them in varying degrees to do washes in the seam lines, splatters on the flat areas, drybrushing on edges like sleeve ends, pouch corners, or on top of the seams.

Dye-a-Flow is awesome straight out of the bottle for picking out edges with a fine brush - a lot like fine airbrushing but with a bristle brush. Thin it out and it is amazing for doing seams, splatters, and just general dirtyness. Neo-paque is thick with good cover, it is great for weathering on leather and heavy cloth, and Textile is a good all-around choice, it's medium between the other two and can be thinned also. I did experiment a little with mixing but not enough to give good advice about it. And at the end of my weathering sessions, a few times I took my dirty paint water and used it as a general wash on my soft goods to get some more random dirt, or tucked the ends of my pants legs in and let them soak it up overnight.

Hope this helps - Good start and hope to see some more progress soon!

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2022, 08:26 PM »
Nice progress vod. For dark fabrics, you can use tans, greys, browns, yellow-y ochre, rusty/orange colors. Those colors will also show on light colored, silver, or black plates and IIRC you have yellows, a bit of black and blue and some silver/grey. So you should be able to do consistent colors of Space Grime across the whole kit pretty readily. Concentrate 'dirt' on the boots and lower leg plates. Some physical wear and a bit of grey on the knees and elbows will be good on the blue.  Umber is great for a bit of a sweat-stain around your collar, under arm areas, back of knees, and small of your back.

Do a lot of testing on scraps as you go, and don't get too crazy weathering your soft parts before you have your plates done.

LIke Aster (the Monarch of Mud) said, use acrylic paints. I primarily used Jacquard brand fabric paints - Dye-Na-Flow (its a very liquid acrylic paint that is almost a dye), their Neo-Paque(formulated for good cover and flexible hold, like leather shoe painting), and Textile (for fabrics!) product lines are all great. Pricier than standard craft acrylics but worth the cost IMO (and I wanted to treat myself a little). I thinned them in varying degrees to do washes in the seam lines, splatters on the flat areas, drybrushing on edges like sleeve ends, pouch corners, or on top of the seams.

Dye-a-Flow is awesome straight out of the bottle for picking out edges with a fine brush - a lot like fine airbrushing but with a bristle brush. Thin it out and it is amazing for doing seams, splatters, and just general dirtyness. Neo-paque is thick with good cover, it is great for weathering on leather and heavy cloth, and Textile is a good all-around choice, it's medium between the other two and can be thinned also. I did experiment a little with mixing but not enough to give good advice about it. And at the end of my weathering sessions, a few times I took my dirty paint water and used it as a general wash on my soft goods to get some more random dirt, or tucked the ends of my pants legs in and let them soak it up overnight.

Hope this helps - Good start and hope to see some more progress soon!

Oh WOW, that'll really help. Thank you! :like:

Fenn Beviin

• MMCC #: 2116
  • Awards Mandalorian Protector Brigade Member
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2022, 02:07 PM »
Can't wait to see the rest of this come together.

"Try not to become a man of success, but a man of value."

Instagram: mythos_fenn_shysa

Mythos Fenn Arms (A Sales Thread): https://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=174182.msg2066382#new

Fenn Shysa WIP: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=80765.0

Blaster Addiction - So many Blasters: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=110659.msg1820500
« Reply #6 on: Jun 01, 2022, 04:48 PM »
Can't wait to see the rest of this come together.

I'm glad to hear that! I plan on getting fabric for the flak vest this week.

« Reply #7 on: Aug 08, 2022, 06:49 PM »
Smallest of updates:

It's been a hot minute, life's been overwhelming but I finally got the opportunity to work on my kit again.

Finished the gloves and currently work on my flak vest, which should be done soon (knock on wood).

Cattriss Wren

• "Vurel verburyc, draar solus"
« Reply #8 on: Aug 12, 2022, 09:28 PM »
Very nice  :like:

my armor. http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=203296.0

"Mandalorians don't make threats. We make promises"

"Everyone has a struggle in life. The key is turning that struggle into your weapon."
« Reply #9 on: Aug 19, 2022, 12:52 PM »
Very nice  :like:
Thank you :)

And I'm on my way to finishing my flak vest

Still needs more adjusting and cap sleeves. And also:

I was planning on putting a hook and eye closure for the slit on my vest (so I can get my head through). Is that acceptable? And if not, does anyone have any suggestions on how to close it?

Second Son

• Awards Special Weapons EnviroOps Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #10 on: Aug 19, 2022, 06:10 PM »

I was planning on putting a hook and eye closure for the slit on my vest (so I can get my head through). Is that acceptable? And if not, does anyone have any suggestions on how to close it?

Flap + velcro; build it into your neck seal so you can close both at the same time.

« Reply #11 on: Aug 19, 2022, 06:35 PM »
Flap + velcro; build it into your neck seal so you can close both at the same time.

That's a fantastic idea!

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!