Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Kel's Armour Build WIP

• 10 Replies

Kel Redal

• Definitely Not A Jawa
Kel's Armour Build WIP
« on: Jul 19, 2021, 02:23 PM »
Utinni!

So I've started a new WIP for my kit (this is like... the third time I've tried to make a kit. Three times lucky, right? This is the kit for approval, for REAL this time!). I'm going off Clan Wren designs for this one, mostly so it'll be easier for fitting to my chest than the classic Boba-style plates. I'll also be doing a loincloth and a cape. So far, I have templates for all my remaining armour except the gauntlets (going for 3D prints) and shoulders.

Also, just because I'm delighted with how my first foray into building weapons is going, please behold my first scratch-built vibrodagger. :D

More pictures to come later!

"If that thing eats us, you're fired."

Armour WIP thread

Jennari

• "You gave up our ways, remember?"
Re: Kel's Armour Build WIP
« Reply #1 on: Jul 19, 2021, 03:41 PM »
Great design for a first blade.  :like:

evening.echiveria

• CEO of socks
« Reply #2 on: Jul 19, 2021, 11:41 PM »
Dagger looks super cool. I love the chest plates, the clan wren designs are one of my favorites and I'm glad someone is using them!

they/them | mav oya'la clan | Aster WIP

Kel Redal

• Definitely Not A Jawa
« Reply #3 on: Jul 20, 2021, 02:49 PM »
Thank you! :D I'm super proud of how the blade's turning out, especially since I've never scratch-built a weapon before! Current status check on the stabby:

And, so far, I've gotten my collar/chest/ab armour cut out, and my boot armour. Since I'm working solo and not quite brave enough right now to try heat-forming sintra to myself without adult supervision, I've started molding the boot pieces to the boots I'll be wearing with this kit! (I'll have the pants of my flightsuit covering the upper laces. Current plan is to attach these to the boots with black elastics.)

Next up will either be to dig around and see if I can find any sandpaper laying about, or start fussing with the template for my knees. :D

Armour WIP thread

evening.echiveria

• CEO of socks
« Reply #4 on: Jul 20, 2021, 11:56 PM »
Stabby looks very nice  :like:

Cattriss Wren

• "Vurel narir'shekemir, draar solus"
« Reply #5 on: Jul 21, 2021, 08:09 AM »
Love the vibroknife!!! :like: cool chest armor too!! ;)

my armor. http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=203296.0

"Mandalorians don't make threats. We make promises"

"Everyone has a struggle in life. The key is turning that struggle into your weapon."

Bade Duun

• Credits talk - I do not.
« Reply #6 on: Jul 21, 2021, 11:30 AM »
Thank you! :D I'm super proud of how the blade's turning out, especially since I've never scratch-built a weapon before! Current status check on the stabby:

And, so far, I've gotten my collar/chest/ab armour cut out, and my boot armour. Since I'm working solo and not quite brave enough right now to try heat-forming sintra to myself without adult supervision, I've started molding the boot pieces to the boots I'll be wearing with this kit! (I'll have the pants of my flightsuit covering the upper laces. Current plan is to attach these to the boots with black elastics.)

Next up will either be to dig around and see if I can find any sandpaper laying about, or start fussing with the template for my knees. :D

First attempt at scratch building? That's awesome, you're well on your way to making great gear.
Love the knife!

« Last Edit: Jul 21, 2021, 04:09 PM by Bade Duun » Logged

Kel Redal

• Definitely Not A Jawa
« Reply #7 on: Jul 21, 2021, 04:06 PM »
Thank you, all! I'm SO proud of how Stabby turned out! He still needs an extra coat of paint and a bit of detailing, but I'm SO pleased! ^_^

Cut out my remaining armour pieces today, and did a test fit with the flightsuit and vest (and loincloth). Verdict is... yeah, I have a LOT more work in my immediate future.

-- I'm not fussing with spacing between the plates right now, I'm just trying to get the sizing correct. I'll worry about spacing later! ;)
-- The collar is too wide. I'ma be trimming about half an inch or so off the ends of the collar so it looks proportionally correct.
-- I know I'm not to have my ab plate over the belt(s). This was just a quick and dirty test fit. ;) I promise it won't look like that when I go for approval! I may need to shrink all of my torso plates a smidge to accommodate the CRL.
-- I almost feel like the chest plate is a smidge too wide? Opinions?
-- The loincloth also feels like it might be too big. At least that's a quick and easy fix! (Not pictured: the kama that's buried somewhere on my sewing table)
-- Duct tape sucks for holding armour plates onto a flightsuit, FYI.
-- I'm leaning toward having Stabby on my belt (as well as a leather pouch for my phone... or maybe I'll make a datapad case for that >.>). Note to self: make a sheath for Stabby.
-- There will be a cape, once I figure out where that wound up!

Armour WIP thread

evening.echiveria

• CEO of socks
« Reply #8 on: Jul 21, 2021, 05:23 PM »
-- I'm not fussing with spacing between the plates right now, I'm just trying to get the sizing correct. I'll worry about spacing later! ;)
-- The collar is too wide. I'ma be trimming about half an inch or so off the ends of the collar so it looks proportionally correct.
-- I know I'm not to have my ab plate over the belt(s). This was just a quick and dirty test fit. ;) I promise it won't look like that when I go for approval! I may need to shrink all of my torso plates a smidge to accommodate the CRL.
-- I almost feel like the chest plate is a smidge too wide? Opinions?
-- The loincloth also feels like it might be too big. At least that's a quick and easy fix! (Not pictured: the kama that's buried somewhere on my sewing table)
-- Duct tape sucks for holding armour plates onto a flightsuit, FYI.
-- I'm leaning toward having Stabby on my belt (as well as a leather pouch for my phone... or maybe I'll make a datapad case for that >.>). Note to self: make a sheath for Stabby.
-- There will be a cape, once I figure out where that wound up!

Armor looks nice! Congrats on getting it cut!
Definitely agree collar is too wide.
For chest/ab plates, I think you should adjust them a little to be better proportional for your body. Looking at some photos of clan wren armor, to be blunt, the main chest plate should start above your breasts and end a little below them. Kind of creating a protective shell around your chest instead of individual breast plates like bo katan (which have always seems a little impractical to me). The width depends on how the plate fits your chest, if it wraps around you a little to cover your sides it should be good.
The ab plate is just armor for the non curvy part of your chest, its own piece for your stomach. If you (like me!) have a high waist where your belt sits, there may be less room for an ab plate. You could either adjust the shape to be more proportional to your body, or go with the Ursa Wren style ab plate which is smaller.
CRLs just say the loin cloth shouldn't go past your knees or be more than 3/4 of your front. I think it could be less wide, but ultimately it's up to what you like!
Also.... what kind of blaster is that? It looks cool!
Give my love to stabby  :<3:

Kel Redal

• Definitely Not A Jawa
« Reply #9 on: Aug 02, 2021, 09:17 PM »
Thank you! :D Stabby sends his affections back to his admirers! ;) (And the blaster is... oh, man, I don't even remember. It's a modded nerf gun I bought for Atton Rand yeaaaaaars and years ago. It's the Rebel Trooper blaster, if that helps?)

I'm starting to realize the struggles of having an abundance of bosom, a high waist, and a short torso -- armour plates don't want to sit nicely, dammit. My ruus'alor thinks I should be able to get away with doing a collar similar to Bo-Katan's live action collar instead of the traditional collar piece... except, if I move my current chestpiece up for that style of collar, that leaves my bewbs hanging out the sides of my armour (how's that for a visual image? ;) )

And with the current collar:

As it is, with the latest status check (after trimming the sides of my collar so it should be proportionally correct now!), I'm not sure how much I can play around with sizing on the chest piece. I'm pretty sure anything I take off will have to be from the bottom, but I'm a little leery of trimming too much off. My ab plate already feels like it's really small, so while I can still trim some more off the bottom of that, I don't want to go crazy on that. And I don't really want to do anything that'll require moving my chestpiece up since, y'know, protecting the girls and all. (And this is with the correct bra on, too.) How much do you think I'll need to take off -- like an inch off the bottom of the chestpiece or so? I'm gonna try bending the sides of the chest around to cover that a bit better -- hopefully bondo doesn't react poorly to being heated. >.>

Arrrrrgh. Boobs are the worst.

(But! I have my second belt done! And I definitely did not use a tutorial for a Jedi obi for it, no sir. Definitely not. Not even a little bit. Nope.)

Armour WIP thread

Kel Redal

• Definitely Not A Jawa
« Reply #10 on: Aug 04, 2021, 07:38 PM »
Update, after realizing that bondo does not mold nicely once it's cured: presenting Chestplate 2.0! Styled after Bo Katan's live-action chestpiece, on my ruus'alor's suggestion. I'll be putting the chest diamond (chest trapezoid?) up between the collar and chestpiece, once I get those trimmed up and spaced out properly.

(yes, I know I need to sew up the pockets on my flak vest, and significantly trim the sides of my collar!)

Armour WIP thread

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!