Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Questions about a Mando's weaponry.

• 4 Replies

Ka'ra Pitat Woorkem

• When all else fails, get a bigger hammer.
Questions about a Mando's weaponry.
« on: Jul 20, 2021, 02:14 AM »
I have a number of prop weapons in mind for my Mando.  Some of them I can imagine are okay-ish, since others have them, such as knives, grenades, etc.  (All con allowable props, no actual bangers.) 

Question one:  Swords, foam ones.  Are they allowable?
Question two:  Electronics in the blasters, is this allowable?  Sound boards, lights, etc?
Question three:  I've got an idea for putting a simple 'action' effect is a sidearm blaster for my Mando.  Pull the trigger, it goes pew, light flashes and a slide moves.  Is this acceptable?  If not, is any of it acceptable?
Question four:  more or less the same as there's, but with a trifoil railgun.  The two top sections would split and drop open when charging, with a pump action mechanism to make it work.  It'd have the lights and sounds too, if allowable.

Inspiration below.  Not the actual props.

« Last Edit: Jul 20, 2021, 02:21 AM by Rane Maldalay » Logged
When the needle climbs, the engines scream, and the blue fades to black...
Where the twinkling lights of stars becomes a sea of light among the dark...
There is where you'll find me.
Praeter Calum Ad Astrum - Beyond the Sky, to the Stars
See you Starside

Arkham

• Awards Legends of Mandalore Brigade 15+ clan level invasions Award for 10 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Special Weapons
Re: Questions about a Mando's weaponry.
« Reply #1 on: Jul 20, 2021, 10:43 AM »
Question one:  Swords, foam ones.  Are they allowable?
Question two:  Electronics in the blasters, is this allowable?  Sound boards, lights, etc?
Question three:  I've got an idea for putting a simple 'action' effect is a sidearm blaster for my Mando.  Pull the trigger, it goes pew, light flashes and a slide moves.  Is this acceptable?  If not, is any of it acceptable?
Question four:  more or less the same as there's, but with a trifoil railgun.  The two top sections would split and drop open when charging, with a pump action mechanism to make it work.  It'd have the lights and sounds too, if allowable.

Some short answers for you:
  • Swords are allowed. However foam is not an allowable building material for MMCC armor or props. You could make it out of sintra or wood. There is a Edged Weapon Tutorial in the Jadd Halls of Knowledge that might give you some ideas
  • Yes, Electronics are allowable.
  • Action Effects; For the most part, yes, they are allowable. You need to be very careful with any moving parts as they have to be manually operated (not automatic or spring assisted) to be cleared to be part of your kit. Make sure that you consult your local Ruus'alor before proceeding to see that you don't do a lot of work that is not approvable.
  • Same answer as #3

When designing your weapons, make sure that they read Star Wars first and foremost.

For instance; Adding a scope to a Farscape pistol is still just a Farscape pistol, just with a scope. You want to make sure that your weapons are believable in the Star Wars universe and that, if they appeared on screen, would not look out of place.

Can't wait to see what you come up with!

Arkham's WIP

Tra'cor Clan // G.O.M.O.L # 032 // M.V.S #68 // O.O.P.S.! #52 // L.O.B #49

Ka'ra Pitat Woorkem

« Reply #2 on: Jul 20, 2021, 03:04 PM »
Oh yeah, the only thing I was showing with the farscape pistol was how the pistol integrated into it's designed holster.  I've got my own designs in mind for the sidearm blaster.  Why no spring assist?  Even if its just to return the thing back to it's normal spot?  Too much wiggle room for people to be naughty?  If thats the case, then I have a few ideas anyway.  Below is what I have in mind for the base of the blaster.  I intend to use a laser tag nerf 'rifle', taking into consideration the CRLs about using nerf, and I intend to go a little bonkers with it.  I want to rewire it so that it isn't a functional 'blaster rifle' anymore, but since it does have an ammo counter LED, and cycling 'action' for the purposes of 'action', I want to keep those as functional as possible.  Everything else is just going to be LED lights and maybe some sound effects.

What I have in mind is to extend the stock for personal comfort, as well as the barrel and foregrip, then do something with the round thing in front of the trigger guard.  I'll be adding additional pieces on the thumbhole bit to make it a smooth section and to secure it, as well as to comply with the CRLs.  Then, up top... I'm not sure.  Scopes are one thing, but does it really need one?  Also, bipods... Would a bipod even be worth it for this thing?  Its a mid-range heavy hitter, meant for anti-armor, not long range DMR.  But yeah, all the gaps in the orange bits will be filled in with epoxy putty/bondo, and made smooth, with maybe a barrel extension out the front of it for additional aesthetics.  Other than that, I'm not sure how to make this into a Star Wars blaster, other than scopes out the wazoo.  XD

See you Starside

OriKad

• The Grizzled Old Sergeant of Mav Oya'la Clan
  • Awards Force Hunter Brigade Member Special Weapons 267th Rapid Assault Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Airmobile brigade member
« Reply #3 on: Jul 21, 2021, 01:22 PM »
Why no spring assist?  Even if its just to return the thing back to it's normal spot?  Too much wiggle room for people to be naughty?

It's because in case of a failure of the housing or locking mechanism, a spring has stored energy that is then being sent out in an unpredictable direction, possibly into the face of a nearby child.  However safe you think you made it, there is always the potential for a piece to break.

Ka'ra Pitat Woorkem

« Reply #4 on: Jul 26, 2021, 03:52 PM »
Question:  For the blasters, are Legos allowed as structural elements, provided that the pieces are covered and painted?  I've got some legos left from my child hood, and I think if I purchase more, I can make some of the more complicated design elements for the blasters I have in mind, and make them easier than 3d printing.

See you Starside

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!