Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

3D printing

• 10 Replies
3D printing
« on: Jul 26, 2021, 06:52 PM »
so, i really wanna build some armor. looking at different options now. but i have a question for anyone who can answer it. is 3d printing armor pieces and a helmet allowed, or will it be approved? and if so, any material that isnt allowed to be printed with? i currently have PLA. if not, any suggestions on where i can get the helmet. the armor i can try to figure out, and the softworks look fairly simple. im just looking at options before i dive headfirst. Thanks and looking forward to this process. 

Ka'ra Pitat Woorkem

• When all else fails, get a bigger hammer.
Re: 3D printing
« Reply #1 on: Jul 26, 2021, 07:09 PM »
Okay, to answer your questions, yes.  3d printing is allowed.  Really any material is allowable, but its recommended you use ABS plastic, as it has a higher deformation temperature than PLA.  As for how to present a 3d printed model?  It must be sanded smooth, painted, etc. to the point where the print lines are NOT visible.  This is the layer lines that are all too common for prints.  It must be painted, weathered, etc. to match your kit, but you can print any object you wish for your kit.

As a fellow 3d printer, my suggestion would be to focus on getting the larger parts made using other materials and sources, other than 3d printing.  This saves time, energy and money, since you can buy ready made sheets of plastic off Ebay.  For the greebles and fiddly bits, use the 3d printer.  I'm fairly certain that you can use resin to 'cure' the print, so that it won't warp, but don't quote me on that.

When the needle climbs, the engines scream, and the blue fades to black...
Where the twinkling lights of stars becomes a sea of light among the dark...
There is where you'll find me.
Praeter Calum Ad Astrum - Beyond the Sky, to the Stars
See you Starside
« Reply #2 on: Jul 26, 2021, 08:49 PM »
Okay, to answer your questions, yes.  3d printing is allowed.  Really any material is allowable, but its recommended you use ABS plastic, as it has a higher deformation temperature than PLA.  As for how to present a 3d printed model?  It must be sanded smooth, painted, etc. to the point where the print lines are NOT visible.  This is the layer lines that are all too common for prints.  It must be painted, weathered, etc. to match your kit, but you can print any object you wish for your kit.

As a fellow 3d printer, my suggestion would be to focus on getting the larger parts made using other materials and sources, other than 3d printing.  This saves time, energy and money, since you can buy ready made sheets of plastic off Ebay.  For the greebles and fiddly bits, use the 3d printer.  I'm fairly certain that you can use resin to 'cure' the print, so that it won't warp, but don't quote me on that.

okay cool. thanks for the heads up. yeah i know the lines and stuff would be difficult. and i was even thinking of buying the helmet. and maybe printing some of the armor pieces. but yeah. thanks!

Ka'ra Pitat Woorkem

« Reply #3 on: Jul 26, 2021, 09:21 PM »
It isn't that hard.  Get some crack filler primer, and do a couple cycles of a coat of paint, then sand.  Repeat that two or three times before your initial cosmetic paint layers, and it should be smooth.  My suggestion would be to buy the Black series Death Watch helmet, if you're going for a good modern style helm.  Looks good, wears fine, though you'll need to replace the visor itself since it's TOO transparent.

See you Starside
« Reply #4 on: Jul 26, 2021, 09:29 PM »
It isn't that hard.  Get some crack filler primer, and do a couple cycles of a coat of paint, then sand.  Repeat that two or three times before your initial cosmetic paint layers, and it should be smooth.  My suggestion would be to buy the Black series Death Watch helmet, if you're going for a good modern style helm.  Looks good, wears fine, though you'll need to replace the visor itself since it's TOO transparent.

cool! yeah i just looked at it. might have to go with that one. that was the one thing i was worried about most. granted it is one of the most important parts. lol. thanks for pointing me that way!

Tramp Graphics

• Illustrator
« Reply #5 on: Jul 26, 2021, 09:43 PM »
One thing to consider about the Black Series helmets with rangefinders, if you’re a Southpaw, the rangefinders are all on the right side of the helmet. If you’re a lefty, you’re going to need a custom 3D printed or resin cast helmet with a left side rangefinder option.

Ka'ra Pitat Woorkem

« Reply #6 on: Jul 26, 2021, 09:45 PM »
No worries!  Its the route I'll be taking myself.  And hopefully, I can get a 3d scan of it so I can put my custom made bits and bobs on there for aesthetics.

See you Starside

Kurshi BeJahaal

• I don't roll on Shabbos. ב"ה
  • Awards 40+ hrs of Charity Work Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #7 on: Jul 27, 2021, 12:03 AM »
For chest plates, you can by vac formed ABS or cut them from Sintra or pvc. I recommend Jonson Plastics Plus for 2x4 sheets. I think you can order two for $20 shipped? Or close to it anyway.

Another option for helmets is using the Rubies 3 Piece Fett Helmet. You'll need to fill the dent, replace the visor and lengthen or change the Rangefinder. I added an antenna on mine from an old wireless router.

Before:

After:

One thing to consider about the Black Series helmets with rangefinders, if you’re a Southpaw, the rangefinders are all on the right side of the helmet. If you’re a lefty, you’re going to need a custom 3D printed or resin cast helmet with a left side rangefinder option.

This is completely optional. It doesn't matter from an approval standpoint which side your RF is on or if you even use an RF.

MMCC #1484¦¦50 Career Invasions¦¦Rancor Clan 
B.E.A.R.D.S #97 ¦ M.A.R.S. #21
Helmet Scratch Build||Beskar||Privateer||Protector

Tramp Graphics

• Illustrator
« Reply #8 on: Jul 27, 2021, 12:58 AM »
For chest plates, you can by vac formed ABS or cut them from Sintra or pvc. I recommend Jonson Plastics Plus for 2x4 sheets. I think you can order two for $20 shipped? Or close to it anyway.

Another option for helmets is using the Rubies 3 Piece Fett Helmet. You'll need to fill the dent, replace the visor and lengthen or change the Rangefinder. I added an antenna on mine from an old wireless router.

Before:

After:

This is completely optional. It doesn't matter from an approval standpoint which side your RF is on or if you even use an RF.

Very true. It is optional. However, it would look, and, more importantly, feel very odd for someone who is using a  blaster in his or her left hand, to be trying to sight  with the right eye. That’s the reason why I went out of my way to find a vendor who sold helmets with a left side rangefinder option.

Kurshi BeJahaal

• I don't roll on Shabbos. ב"ה
  • Awards 40+ hrs of Charity Work Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #9 on: Jul 27, 2021, 03:13 AM »
There's nothing wrong with keeping it as believable as possible! It's always good to see someone go the extra mile like that. I just didn't want the OP to think that they had to make sure the helmet was left handed. But giving them a little food for thought never hurts.  :)

MMCC #1484¦¦50 Career Invasions¦¦Rancor Clan 
B.E.A.R.D.S #97 ¦ M.A.R.S. #21
Helmet Scratch Build||Beskar||Privateer||Protector
« Reply #10 on: Jul 30, 2021, 11:12 AM »
Thank you all for the tips!!! I’ll take all recommendations into consideration. Been really busy lately. But I can’t wait to get started.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!