Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Ca'tra Veshok FIrst Kit Concepts

• 25 Replies
Ca'tra Veshok FIrst Kit Concepts
« on: Jul 30, 2021, 05:00 PM »
Su'cuy, vode! Here's a concept for my first build. I used the Mando Creator for the colors, a basic idea of the armor style, and whatnot. For this first time around, I'm going for something relatively simple. (I say that now. We'll see what actually happens.) Let me know what you think! Thanks in advance!   :sabine: 

« Last Edit: Oct 12, 2021, 04:08 PM by Catra Veshok » Logged
Re: Cat'ra Veshok FIrst Kit Concepts
« Reply #1 on: Jul 30, 2021, 06:36 PM »
I've started trying to figure out patterns and sizing. The helmet is too big, but I'll post a picture so others can learn from my mistake. I should've looked closer at the CRLs and also done more measuring before I bought the bike helmet. It's a kid's helmet and still too big. :laugh: But hey, I can use it . . .  as a bike helmet. So now I understand  it shouldn't be wider than half the width of my shoulders (does that include the ear caps?) and I'll need to take into account the width of the plastic cut from the bucket, not the paper pattern.

Any feedback or suggestions on said faceplate pattern. Is the sizing on the plates ok? Does sintra shrink under the heat gun? Also, what temp works best for 6mm and for 3mm? Thanks guys!

Tramp Graphics

• Illustrator
« Reply #2 on: Jul 30, 2021, 08:23 PM »
I've started trying to figure out patterns and sizing. The helmet is too big, but I'll post a picture so others can learn from my mistake. I should've looked closer at the CRLs and also done more measuring before I bought the bike helmet. It's a kid's helmet and still too big. :laugh: But hey, I can use it . . .  as a bike helmet. So now I understand  it shouldn't be wider than half the width of my shoulders (does that include the ear caps?) and I'll need to take into account the width of the plastic cut from the bucket, not the paper pattern.

Any feedback or suggestions on said faceplate pattern. Is the sizing on the plates ok? Does sintra shrink under the heat gun? Also, what temp works best for 6mm and for 3mm? Thanks guys!

The helmet shouldn’t be wider than half the width of your shoulders when fully armored. The work around there is to wear larger shoulder pauldrons that make your shoulders appear wider than they really are. This is often an absolute necessity for both men and women who are of slight build.

« Reply #3 on: Jul 31, 2021, 12:06 AM »
The helmet shouldn’t be wider than half the width of your shoulders when fully armored. The work around there is to wear larger shoulder pauldrons that make your shoulders appear wider than they really are. This is often an absolute necessity for both men and women who are of slight build.

Thanks for the clarification! I'll see what I can do with those pauldrons, then. Maybe this helmet is destined to be not a bike helmet after all...

« Reply #4 on: Jul 31, 2021, 03:52 PM »
Fabric and paint. The color scheme is coming together.  :D I wonder if the silver paint is too shiny though. Now for a test...

« Reply #5 on: Aug 01, 2021, 01:35 AM »
First paint tests today.

I marked the insides of the spoons so I would know exactly which layers I was doing, and then remember after painting.

At first, I liked the two silver colors layered, with the shinier one on top. But then I decided I liked the way the other paint colors end up smoother over just shiny silver.

Here are the colors. I like how the gold-copper turned out. But the orange and burgundy are a lot more saturated in color than I'd like. They make me think of Sabine. She's cool, but I'm going for more of the earthy tones.

All the colors with different metallic bases. Grayish on top row, then silver, then both.

I tried layering the orange and burgundy. I like that better than them alone.  The camera really likes to bring out the orange. I still want the color toned down. I'll browse through the paint sections again. But if I can't find anything more earthy without being flat out brown, any ideas how to layer colors to mute them a little bit, take off the bright edge?

Colors with layers of both metallic bases. Note how the gold kind of crackled.

Colors with just the silver base.

« Last Edit: Aug 01, 2021, 01:42 AM by Catra Veshok » Logged

Arco'thyel Wyshla

• Certified crazy cat mando
« Reply #6 on: Aug 01, 2021, 12:23 PM »
I'm loving this concept -- big fan of earthy tones! I very much appreciate your thorough logging of your paint tests, they'll come in handy for me too when I decide on paint for durasteel plates.

It doesn't surprise me that the paint gets more textured as you add more layers, I'm going through some paint tests right now attempting to get a perfect gloss finish, and it is tough. Extra layers get the orange peel effect and can even wrinkle if it's too humid out. If you're trying to minimize texture, you can try sanding high grit between the layers (if the sanding dulls the shinier paint, you may need to clearcoat after sanding), and wait up to three days for each layer to fully cure before adding another. The uneven texture can be caused by an uncured lower layer gassing off while the upper layer dries.

...Yeah, there's a lot of factors to getting a smooth texture! ??? Hopefully my own experiments go well and I'll have better advice in the following weeks!

About toning the colors down, how weathered of a kit are you going for? Black washes dull the colors in a way that helps with realism, check out some armor WIP threads for some before/afters -- it's quite a difference and may help with the look you're going for!

| Hard Goods WIP | Soft Goods WIP | Planning Log |

"Visit Mandalore before Mandalore visits you. Take home some souvenirs—a slab of uj cake and a smack in the mouth." ―Baltan Carid

"Don’t take this the wrong way you guys, but uh, Mandalorians are crazy." ―Ezra Bridger

Rilal Birom

• Digur haar shupur, draar digur haar bajur.
« Reply #7 on: Aug 01, 2021, 01:31 PM »
I love the desert palette Earth-tones you've chosen!  Your concept looks great!  Can't wait to see how it all turns out!

Cabur Akaata #217     Vode Be Vhekad #22     House Nelvaan #7    

Post-Imp WIP

Facebook
Instagram
« Reply #8 on: Aug 01, 2021, 05:32 PM »
It doesn't surprise me that the paint gets more textured as you add more layers, I'm going through some paint tests right now attempting to get a perfect gloss finish, and it is tough. Extra layers get the orange peel effect and can even wrinkle if it's too humid out. If you're trying to minimize texture, you can try sanding high grit between the layers (if the sanding dulls the shinier paint, you may need to clearcoat after sanding), and wait up to three days for each layer to fully cure before adding another. The uneven texture can be caused by an uncured lower layer gassing off while the upper layer dries.

Thanks for the advice! I admit I was in a bit of a hurry doing the tests. I had no idea about uncured paint letting off gas, but it makes sense! Good to know.

« Reply #9 on: Aug 01, 2021, 05:36 PM »

About toning the colors down, how weathered of a kit are you going for? Black washes dull the colors in a way that helps with realism, check out some armor WIP threads for some before/afters -- it's quite a difference and may help with the look you're going for!

I'll definitely take a look at some of those before/afters. Thanks for the idea. As far as the amount of weathering... I want it to look like it's been through some things and out in the elements, but not so much it looks like it's been through a sarlacc.

« Reply #10 on: Aug 01, 2021, 05:39 PM »
I love the desert palette Earth-tones you've chosen!  Your concept looks great!  Can't wait to see how it all turns out!

Thanks vod!

« Reply #11 on: Aug 03, 2021, 01:24 AM »
A couple notes on patterns:

This first one, for making a vest, I discovered on another WIP thread. It's apparently a vintage pattern, so I could only find it online. The nice thing about that is it was cheaper, even with shipping, than a lot of new patterns you find at, say, Joann's. I got it from a little site called Pattern-Walk.com, and they left this little thank you note, which was a nice personal touch. It did take a little longer than expected in the mail, but hey, with times as they've been, it's not too much of a surprise. The thing to be aware with vintage/used patterns is they might already be cut. This can be convenient, or make the pattern too small. I think I'll be fine in this case, though.

This second pattern I got new. I will have to add a zipper, which isn't included in this pattern, and find a way to hide it.  This pattern is intended for stretchy fabric, so I might have to make a couple other little modifications. It was all I could find after a bit of searching that was simple and non-frilly. Haha. I'll of course have to make it look like part of a one-piece flight suit.

Also, here's something my mom taught me that might be helpful when it comes to patterns. Cut out the largest size, even if you're a smaller size. Then cut it into tabs so you can fold them down to your size. Then if you find the pattern runs small, or if you want to use the it again years later and you've grown a bit sideways, you still have the larger sizes to work with. I've also been learning with my last couple projects why my mom never took shortcuts with the instructions. I am not as patient (or ambitious) as she was with sewing, but I'm finding it actually makes life easier to just go through all the tedious steps. In fact this time, I think I'm going to add some extra rows of stitching along the seams for reinforcement.

« Reply #12 on: Aug 03, 2021, 06:34 PM »
More colors, with no metallic base. Just wanted to get an idea what these looked like.
More experimental layering later.

« Last Edit: Aug 03, 2021, 06:39 PM by Catra Veshok » Logged

Skub Dunkhus

• The Bantha Rider. Whisperer of the Dunes.
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year.
« Reply #13 on: Aug 04, 2021, 11:54 AM »
Su'cuy, vode! Here's a concept for my first build. I used the Mando Creator for the colors, a basic idea of the armor style, and whatnot. For this first time around, I'm going for something relatively simple. (I say that now. We'll see what actually happens.) Let me know what you think! Thanks in advance!   :sabine: 

I really love this design concept!! Earthy tones look great on Mandalorian armor, I am using a similar color palette in my build!

MMCC #2639
Clan: Naast
First Kit WIP Thread (APPROVED): https://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=202175.new#new
« Reply #14 on: Aug 04, 2021, 02:47 PM »
I really love this design concept!! Earthy tones look great on Mandalorian armor, I am using a similar color palette in my build!

Thanks vod! I could probably take notes from you how to get the right colors in paint!

« Reply #15 on: Aug 04, 2021, 03:11 PM »
I've seen a few tutorials and WIPs where people are using a black primer beneath the metallic paint. So I decided to try it out, and wow! It makes a difference. It gives it more weight and substance somehow. It makes it really look like metal, not a plastic imitation. I really like it.

Preparing for more testing:

Black, grayish, and silver, in that order:

I waited for a longer between layers, and gently sanded the gray layer before applying the silver this time.

Black and two layers of silver:

Doing two layers of silver made a difference, but I think I sprayed the second one too close so it wasn't quite as smooth and even.

Comparison - Silver alone and silver with black underneath:

Comparison - Gray/silver with and without black:

The gray by itself really isn't my favorite:

Conclusion: Right now it's a tossup between the gray + silver and the two silver layers on top of black. I like the darker sheen of the gray/silver. But I'll have to be careful it doesn't come off as glittery. I think the sanding helped. The smooth color of just the silver on black is nice too.

Skub Dunkhus

• The Bantha Rider. Whisperer of the Dunes.
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year.
« Reply #16 on: Aug 04, 2021, 03:54 PM »
Thanks vod! I could probably take notes from you how to get the right colors in paint!

I'm down to compare notes  :like:

MMCC #2639
Clan: Naast
First Kit WIP Thread (APPROVED): https://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=202175.new#new

Sylvilagus

• Kerru Bhan
« Reply #17 on: Aug 04, 2021, 07:42 PM »
Hey, I'm using that same wine red on my kit. Pairing it with black and brown.

She told me never venture out among the asteroids
But I did, I did, I did
And she said that the Milky Way was something to avoid
And I did, I did, I did
She said that Venus was too hot and Saturn not much fun
Bug-eyed monsters tended to be just a trifle dumb
She said I'd need a blaster and I'd need a freezer-gun
And I did, I did, I did...

Arco'thyel Wyshla

• Certified crazy cat mando
« Reply #18 on: Aug 08, 2021, 10:46 PM »
Ooh, great tests! I was going to put my silver directly onto sintra, but given your findings, looks like I gotta do a black backer. That gray/silver backed with black has great depth!

| Hard Goods WIP | Soft Goods WIP | Planning Log |

"Visit Mandalore before Mandalore visits you. Take home some souvenirs—a slab of uj cake and a smack in the mouth." ―Baltan Carid

"Don’t take this the wrong way you guys, but uh, Mandalorians are crazy." ―Ezra Bridger
« Reply #19 on: Aug 11, 2021, 04:50 PM »
Ooh, great tests! I was going to put my silver directly onto sintra, but given your findings, looks like I gotta do a black backer. That gray/silver backed with black has great depth!

Awesome! Glad that helped!

« Reply #20 on: Aug 11, 2021, 04:51 PM »
Hey, I'm using that same wine red on my kit. Pairing it with black and brown.

Cool! It's a nice, rich color.

« Reply #21 on: Aug 11, 2021, 06:22 PM »
Hey, all. I feel like it's been awhile. I had a couple big deadlines with work and chipped away at this when and where I could, or when I just needed a brain break from work. I just started a helmet WIP thread if you want to check it out/offer advice. https://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=205036.0 . I'll post more stuff here on paint testing when I get back to doing that.

Oya!

« Reply #22 on: Sep 03, 2021, 07:05 PM »
Hi all! Here's a link to my soft parts thread: https://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=205883.0

« Reply #23 on: Sep 30, 2021, 03:12 PM »

Karson Wren

• Clan Wren - Nayc solus jurkade cuun aliit
« Reply #24 on: Oct 11, 2021, 02:28 PM »
Liking this colour scheme.

The wraps are much much cool!  :like:

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!