Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Ambrose's WIP

• 8 Replies
Ambrose's WIP
« on: Aug 02, 2021, 08:56 PM »
Alright, figured I'd go ahead and start a WIP. I going for a modern mando build and I'm using steel to construct it. There are a few parts of it that I don't yet have the skills to attempt in metal, so I got a professional to do it for me. These parts were the helmet, gauntlets, and shins. I also found a nice pauldron and went ahead and bought that as well. I'm going to cut those upper barrel assemblies off the top of the gauntlets, I just think they're excessive. They will be replaced with whistling birds on one side and a control pad on the other.

I redid the helmet visor from the first image. Originally it was just some window tint on a piece of acetate plastic, but it was far to flimsy. I replaced it with a cut up protective face shield with window tint applied to it. It's still not finished, as the final build will use green metallic window tint. I will have to reshape part of the helmet since the visor does not sit quite flush against the eye slit.

For the overall design I'm going with a galaxies style template with Din Djarin style helmet and shoulder bells (decided on the shoulder bells after I made the concept image). The color scheme will be very simple. Green, angular lines running along the bare metal plates. I imagine it looking somewhat like Hardcase's phase II armor, but with more coverage than just the chest plate.

I have not yet started construction on any of the parts that I don't already have. I still need to buy some of the necessary tools. . . which can't happen without a few more paychecks. I'll post more progress here in a few weeks when I'm able to start cutting.

Re: Ambrose's WIP
« Reply #1 on: Oct 02, 2021, 07:43 PM »
Okay, been a while since I've posted anything. Not a huge progress update, but it something. I finally got around to doing the first rough cuts of my sheet metal. Its not pretty right now, but over the coming weeks I'll start going through the more precise cuts and get everything ready for bending and welding.

Aster Veris

• "Monarch of mud"
  • Awards EnviroOps Beastmaster Brigade Member
« Reply #2 on: Oct 03, 2021, 02:42 PM »
Good luck!

OM #2630 | BM #394 | they/them | mav oya'la clan |IG: @ plant.alorian | Aster WIP
« Reply #3 on: Oct 08, 2023, 02:19 PM »
Yikes covid sucked. After, oh what has it been two years? I've finally started to take the mando armor project back off the shelf. I begun the precision cutting and have preliminarily formed some of the smaller pieces. From left to right is: hand plating, foot plating, and knee plates. These are all potentially-not-final,obviously they all still need some grinding and polishing (and the knee plates need those joints welded and cut) , but I'm happy with what I have so far.

Next I also got my flight suit (and couldn't resist a quick test fit)! It's some old military surplus thing I found in a thrift store. And before I hear it, yes the pockets and zippers and velcro and stuff will be covered (and the belt, boots and gloves are just place holders here to get the feel for it). Right now the smaller plates are being held in with magnets under the suit. I was thinking I'd use that method in the final design, but they are a little less precise than I thought, so there may be some rethinking on that.

Okay I've completely forgotten how to embed images to here:

https://i.imgur.com/Ft4Vtkb.jpeg

https://i.imgur.com/vlzJPiS.jpeg

« Last Edit: Oct 08, 2023, 03:31 PM by Ambrose » Logged

Hodayc Goran

• 3D printing my brain/dumpster-diving for greeblies
« Reply #4 on: Oct 08, 2023, 03:18 PM »
No problem! You can find out how to embed images in this section about How to Post Photos.
As for the pictures themselves, and your concept, I am thoroughly impressed. This is a great looking real-metal build; good luck with it! I wish I had the materials, tools, experience, and time to do my own build in metal, but alas, I am bound to the 3D-printing forge.

« Last Edit: Oct 08, 2023, 04:24 PM by Hodayc Goran » Logged
Ecclesiastes 4:12
“Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands is not quickly broken.”

3D Armorers and 3D Printing
General Concept Ideas
Soft Parts
« Reply #5 on: Oct 08, 2023, 03:36 PM »
lol Thanks for that, I completely forgot how imgur worked.

Hey there is nothing stopping you from trying metal out, I have very little experience and and essentially making it up and buying what I need as I go XD

Hodayc Goran

« Reply #6 on: Oct 08, 2023, 04:23 PM »
Ah, but there's the issue of space, and the time to work on stuff as well as the expense of the materials and tools. I can barely afford to keep my three 3D printers running; in order to do some metal, I would probably have to temporarily shut down 3D printing for a while so I could buy metal instead of plastic, and hammers instead of hotends. I also don't have access to any place I can be really noisy or messy, like a shop. I just borrow space in a neighbor's garage for painting and sanding purposes.

Still, it is pretty awesome what you are working on; keep it up :like:!

That said, do you have a list of tools that you've found useful? Also, what gauge steel (and alloy) are you working with?

“Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands is not quickly broken.”

General Concept Ideas
Soft Parts
« Reply #7 on: Oct 08, 2023, 04:41 PM »
Ah yes, I've struggled a little with finding a space where I can safely have tiny pieces of molten steel fly in every direction (but I also live on farmland so nobody cares about the noise). I'm using primarily 16 guage 4070 steel as well as unidentified steel plates that I had laying around. Nothing too heavy duty, I still want it reasonably light. I've found the angle grinder and dremmel incredibly useful. Of course I also have a mig/tig/stick welder and a welding table (and all the safety equipment to go with it), additionally a jigsaw, orbital sander, drills (with polishing and grinding wheel attachments), and a bunch of the usual things one would find in any tool box like clamps, hammers, and measuring devices.

Hodayc Goran

« Reply #8 on: Oct 08, 2023, 07:59 PM »
So, I could probably put most of that together. My dad has a really old dremel kit, probably from the 1990's. We also have a couple of sanders (orbital and rectangular plate-sander, no mouse sander), and a bunch of DeWalt drills. I would probably need to get a few sets of bits specific for metal working. My dad also has a jigsaw and two sawsalls. My neighbor with the garage does have some sort of welding stuff, I'm not sure what. He says he can weld aluminum, stainless, and carbon steel, so I'm thinking it's a MIG setup. He also has some grinders and stuff. Unfortunately, we are in an urban setting, right between city and rural, so there are plenty of houses close by with potentially bothered neighbors. That said, I could probably do a little beginning metal work next summer. It would be so cool to do a Din Djarin V2 in stainless, but that might be a bit adventuresome for a first project... maybe I should just try a pair of Boba Fett shoulder plates to start  :laugh:

General Concept Ideas
Soft Parts

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!