Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Ke'pare's First kit

• 6 Replies
Ke'pare's First kit
« on: Dec 14, 2009, 08:56 PM »
So, this is mostly a placeholder post, but I have a few pics of my tests with the material to post.  Still playing with it, to see how viable it is.  For the curious, the material in question is some old splint material a friend had lying around.  It's about 1/8" thick and lets me bend it on multiple axes.

« Last Edit: Dec 14, 2009, 09:00 PM by Ke'pare Onduro » Logged

Dar'manda

• Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 25 official invasions.
Re: Ke'pare's First kit
« Reply #1 on: Dec 14, 2009, 10:13 PM »
Tsk tsk, no placeholder posts..but since it has pics instead of just "I'm gonna make cool armor...will post pics in a few weeks" it's not really a placeholder.

Firstly, any idea what that stuff is?  Does it harden after heating?  Is it just styrene?

« Reply #2 on: Dec 14, 2009, 10:20 PM »
It's called aquaplast.  I have some more pics I'll be posing tonight.  Like I said, I'm playing wih this stuff and posing my findings, and will eventually be putting pics of the kit up when I figure out how I'm gonna do it.  As to rigidity, the stuff turns clear when it's hot enough, at which point you can freely shape, stretch, or merge it.  I have a pice right now that's cooling that has two joints, and a stretch where two pieces were stuck together.  Probably gonna take this piece out and run it over, for stress tests when it's cooled.

EDIT: 

« Last Edit: Dec 14, 2009, 10:56 PM by Ke'pare Onduro » Logged
« Reply #3 on: Dec 14, 2009, 11:57 PM »
So that second piece has been stress tested, and by stress tested, I mean I hurled it at a brick wall several times.  It holds up.  All the edges are pinched together by hand, no less.  The double thickness is nearly immovable.  This stuff is strong.

« Reply #4 on: Dec 15, 2009, 02:42 PM »
if its what i think it is, then its a kind of fibreglass matte, when putt in warm water it begins a process of harding that finished once the moisture has evaporated.

Dar'ramaanyc adol kyr'am. Ori'mirdala.
Immortality through Death. How ironic.

V2 Armour progress Thread: Here
« Reply #5 on: Dec 15, 2009, 04:50 PM »
Nope.  Aquaplast is strictly heat activated.  I can mold this stuff with a heat gun.  It turns clear when it's fully heated (about 130* or so) and becomes opaque as it hardens.  I can reheat it and mold it as much as I want.

« Reply #6 on: Dec 28, 2009, 03:26 AM »
Hate to double post, but here's an update.  The material stands up to wear over time well.  Like other plastics and can be scraped, chewed, etc, and that damage is often permanent.  I can smooth a lot of bumps out of the surface by heating it with a hair dryer instead of the heat gun.  And, I'm pretty sure I know what my pallet will be, at least for the armor.  Here's a rough render of the bucket I posted over in the assassin's topic in the TS:

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!