Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Clay's Gauntlets (pic heavy)

• 2 Replies
Clay's Gauntlets (pic heavy)
« on: Aug 23, 2021, 04:49 PM »
As summer in the midwest is close to saying farewell, Ive decided to continue progress on my mandalorian armor. With my helmet done (That you can see in my helmet post) I dedicated this past week to completing the gauntlets and blaster.

Beginning monday with sanding and priming all of the gauntlet pieces. I did 2 heavy coats of filler primer and followed up with wet sanding. Did this a few more times and the 3d print lines were gone.

I put a coat of silver on the gauntlets, and got to work applying the liquid latex to the pieces for the weathering process.

Here are the gauntlets with the yellow paint before weathering.

Weathered pieces, placed alongside helmet to assure similar quality.

I dont own any clamps at the moment, so rubber bands will have to do while the glue sets in.

I began weathering and detailing the smaller pieces and the hoses. Its hard to believe those screws are made of plastic!

Unfortunately, I got so swept up in the process of painting the other pieces, I neglected to take progress pics of the darts and wrist rocket.  :(

Next up, I airbrushed the pieces to give it those traditional star wars soft-shadows. I decided to darken up the area near the darts, because the way I'm thinking about it, the flamethrower would scorch the yellow paint and leave smoke residue on the metal. As a welder I can tell you, you can only wipe away that stuff so much before it clings on and STAYS on. I also decided to make the gauntlets one of the more weathered parts of the outfit, because the hands and gadgets would get used more than anything else in the kit.

After a long week of hard work, with the gauntlets, blasters and a career all vying for my attention, I finally reached a point where I was happy with the way my gauntlets looked. Im sure they could still use some touching up in a few small areas, but I will tackle those as I see them. Overall I am VERY pleased with how they came out, and looking at them now at certain angles it's really hard to tell these started out as 3d prints. These gauntlets mark a standard of quality and dedication I hope I can bring to the rest of my kit, in my goal to become approved as an OM and be able to represent the club at my very best. 

Thank you for checking out my gauntlets!  :boba:

« Last Edit: Aug 23, 2021, 04:52 PM by Clay-Motion » Logged

darth_101

• Dara Kalar
Re: Clay's Gauntlets (pic heavy)
« Reply #1 on: Aug 23, 2021, 05:33 PM »
They are looking great!

Second Son

• Awards Special Weapons EnviroOps Special Operations Brigade Member
Re: Clay's Gauntlets (pic heavy)
« Reply #2 on: Aug 23, 2021, 05:43 PM »
Excellent work.  Gonna be looking at these pics while I do some washes and space grime on my own gauntlets.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!