Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Hydra's Post Imperial Custom Build (V1 Complete)

• 15 Replies

Hydra

• Awards Leap into Action is the award for the best mid air action picture. Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
Hydra's Post Imperial Custom Build (V1 Complete)
« on: Aug 24, 2021, 01:06 PM »
Hi all, started this custom as a way to get out of a creative funk. Plan to wrap up this build very shortly. All elements are in some level of progress.
I'll update this thread in the next couple of weeks. Hope to debut her at Dragon Con along side a custom we are building for my husband as well.

Her concept art was drawn in Procreate (iPad), aiming for a monochrome pallet. You cannot see her kidney plate or tasset plate on the opposing side of the drawing. Colors may deviate a little from this concept as this build is moving quick so fabric/paint sourcing will be a best effort situation.

The flightsuit top pattern was blocked out by referencing the Kwik Sew pattern #4032 in a cotton/elastic medium weight suiting. The vest is inspired by Bo Katan's in both pattern/cut and used stretch pleather/vinyl fabric. The waist belt is in progress.

Sleeve cuff details

This is a balaclava I previously constructed, my plan is to sew and integrate a fabric mask into this piece to stay compliant with Covid-19 precautions.

Helmet progress! 3D model by my husband and I, printed and coated in urethane primer. Since this photo was snapped, we have attached the ear caps and rear vents on the helmet.

All armor pieces are in stages of being printed or primed, and soft parts are in various stages of construction. Stay tuned and thanks for reading, I welcome any questions.

« Last Edit: Sep 07, 2021, 10:03 AM by Hydra » Logged

Hydra

• Awards Leap into Action is the award for the best mid air action picture. Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
Re: Hydra's Post Imperial Custom Build
« Reply #1 on: Aug 26, 2021, 04:40 PM »
Everything is cruising along. Finishing up basic soft part elements such as the flightsuit, gloves, vest, etc.

Material is calfskin, got extremely lucky with this material color.

Helmet is almost ready for paint! Extremely happy how the design came out.

Starting priming and painting activities tomorrow.

Jennari

• "I am the best. Always was." - Jango Fett
  • Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022
« Reply #2 on: Aug 26, 2021, 06:40 PM »
Looking great! I'm jealous.  :like:

Hydra

« Reply #3 on: Aug 30, 2021, 09:06 PM »
Things are moving quickly for what I assume will be the first version of this kit.

Pile of armor! This batch has the 3rd layer of paint applied with liquid latex for damage/weathering.

Lots of picking latex and wet sanding to do before the next layer of paint.

Patterned out a Din style pouch and extended it to fit my massive phone. Not my best work here, but working fast, this will do for now!

Avior Braisa

• Bobble-Fett
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #4 on: Sep 03, 2021, 02:16 PM »
This looks lovely! Can't wait to see the finished results!

Aiwha Riders Clan
OM #2296 A & B
T.P.S. #7
O.O.P.S. #67
M.A.J.I.C. #186
Q.M.U. #92 <-Hey, it rhymes!
House Nelvaan Armored Squirrel #10

Hydra

« Reply #5 on: Sep 07, 2021, 10:02 AM »
Completed the initial version of the costume for Dragon Con.

I ended up adding a kama to balance out the width of the shoulder armor.

I would say I am 99% satisfied with the state of this kit. Overall airbrushing and the tail end of painting the armor was a bit rushed, so that all will get touched up here in the near future. In addition I'll be putting together a sidearm holster and perhaps I'll add a jetpack. Thanks for following along!

Vercopaanir

• Fix'em or Finish'em
  • Awards Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Award for 50 official invasions. Medic Brigade Member Special Operations Brigade Member Special Weapons
Re: Hydra's Post Imperial Custom Build (V1 Complete)
« Reply #6 on: Sep 07, 2021, 02:40 PM »
Very nice!  :cookie:

Ursa Wren WIP
WIP Armor
WIP Helmet
WIP Weapons [url=https://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=

Speigel

• Boom. Done.
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions Celebration Chicago 11+ Invasion Report Appearances 15+ invasions in 2017
« Reply #7 on: Sep 09, 2021, 09:58 AM »
Has it been approved?  It's gorgeous

Kol Varek

• Beanpole (Formerly Kol Var'Das)
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #8 on: Sep 09, 2021, 11:55 AM »
Marking this for reference for the future, you guys do great stuff!! Can't wait to see your guys' work in person (hopefully) soon!

If you insist on wielding a hammer, you better be sure you can correctly identify a nail.

Hydra

« Reply #9 on: Sep 09, 2021, 04:56 PM »
Has it been approved?  It's gorgeous

It has not! My husband and I only just wrapped up the builds last week, so we'll see about getting some things finished off before I submit.

Hydra

« Reply #10 on: Sep 09, 2021, 05:02 PM »
Thanks for the feedback! Here's some additional pictures featuring my husband and our little squad of Post Imperial mandos from Dragon Con.

Photos by thereallucasmccoy

« Reply #11 on: Sep 09, 2021, 11:03 PM »
I love the shortened ab-plate

Kol Varek

• Beanpole (Formerly Kol Var'Das)
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #12 on: Sep 11, 2021, 06:51 PM »
That's one good looking squad. I'm a bit jealous  :P

If you insist on wielding a hammer, you better be sure you can correctly identify a nail.

DirkSteele

• We're an idea. And you can't kill ideas
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Donated four quarters of 2023. Award for 10 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member
« Reply #13 on: Oct 04, 2021, 03:04 PM »
Thanks for the feedback! Here's some additional pictures featuring my husband and our little squad of Post Imperial mandos from Dragon Con.

Saw you guys at DC, you looked spectacular!

Gar taldin ni jaonyc; gar sa buir, ori'wadaas'la
"Nobody cares who your father was, only the father you’ll be."

Brigade Kit WIP - http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=211252.0

Druj Jes

• Heavy Weapons,Heavy Assault,Hazardous Environment
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Shock Infantry Brigade Member EnviroOps
« Reply #14 on: Jan 14, 2022, 11:50 AM »
This is incredible! I love how your kit turned out.  Great job.  :like: :like:

Druj Jes - M.M.C.C. #2302 - B.O.M.B. #105 - M.V.S. #105

Falke

• Aliit ori'shya tal'din
« Reply #15 on: Jan 17, 2022, 07:59 AM »
This looks awesome!

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!