Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Bri'a WIP

• 22 Replies

Bri'a

Bri'a WIP
« on: Sep 03, 2021, 12:10 AM »
Hey Guys!

I have been lurking this forum for about a month to gather ideas and info. I started to dive into my build a few days ago once I gathered all of my crafting supplies. So, without further ado, here it goes!

First, I started working on my flightsuit. I bought a black Dickies jumpsuit for women. These come with multiple pockets, so all of them were taken off with a thread remover.

Next, I had to create the neck seal. I wanted this to be contained within the flight suit so that I did not have multiple pieces of fabric to keep up with. Upon researching, I saw that some people use a door sealant as a way to create a rounded and lined look. I sewed the collar together then lined the inside with a thin turtleneck. The turtleneck was to make sure all areas of the collar had fabric for the sealant to adhere to. This sealant has two rows, so I wrapped it around the collar four times to created a layered look. There is already adhesive included on the bottom of the sealant, but I decided to use some E6000 glue to make sure it stays put.

To fit my head through, I cut down the back of the collar until I could put the assembly on. I then put velcro on each side so that this could easily reattach back.

I also finally got my helmet! This was a 3D printed file bought on Etsy from SPbairsoft and printed by Idaho3DPrinting.

This is my first time doing anything like this, so bare with me lol. I sanded the edges and excess off first. Then, covered all over with Bondo. Once the bondo cured and dried, I sanded the crap out of it! After wiping it down good, I sprayed it with some Rustoleum Filler Primer. The first layer has been complete!! It is going to dry for the night. I am hoping to make another update this weekend. My goal is to get some actual paint on it before next work week.

I noticed when I sprayed the primer on, some parts of the helmet got "spots" where the paint accumulated more upon the beginning of each burst. Is there a way to avoid this? I tried to do short bursts and hold the spray can about an arms length away.

To be continued....   :porg2:

Re: Bri'a WIP
« Reply #1 on: Sep 03, 2021, 06:07 AM »
I think you’re off to a FANTASTIC start!

Skub Dunkhus

• The Bantha Rider. Whisperer of the Dunes.
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year.
« Reply #2 on: Sep 03, 2021, 01:50 PM »
This all looks like a fantastic start! Can you share closer up pics of the problem you're having with the paint?

MMCC #2639
Clan: Naast
First Kit WIP Thread (APPROVED): https://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=202175.new#new

DirkSteele

• We're an idea. And you can't kill ideas
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Donated four quarters of 2023. Award for 10 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member
« Reply #3 on: Sep 03, 2021, 03:01 PM »

I noticed when I sprayed the primer on, some parts of the helmet got "spots" where the paint accumulated more upon the beginning of each burst. Is there a way to avoid this? I tried to do short bursts and hold the spray can about an arms length away.

If you start your spray to one side of the item, then move across it ending your spray past the item it tends to get a more even application with less chance of drops or pooling. (Hoping that description made sense )

Mike

Gar taldin ni jaonyc; gar sa buir, ori'wadaas'la
"Nobody cares who your father was, only the father you’ll be."

Brigade Kit WIP - http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=211252.0

Bri'a

« Reply #4 on: Sep 03, 2021, 05:24 PM »
If you start your spray to one side of the item, then move across it ending your spray past the item it tends to get a more even application with less chance of drops or pooling. (Hoping that description made sense )

Mike

That is exactly my problem then! I am starting spraying on a piece of the helmet instead of off to the side. Thank you SO much for the tip!

Bri'a

« Reply #5 on: Sep 05, 2021, 01:26 PM »
Update!

I finally got around to the getting the helmet smooth and just how I want it! Took quite a few nights (and while my baby napped) of sanding, bondo, filler primer, sanding. Here are some pics of the progress:

In between waiting for bondo and filler primer to dry, I also started on weathering a few of my soft parts. I sandpapered the front of the legs and arms of my flightsuit and did a light coat of white spray paint to give it an ash effect. This was done by spraying super far away and letting it all settle on it. The back of the flightsuit was done the same way. (*Note: I know I still have to sew the pockets and a few holes on the side. I despise sewing so I have been putting this off haha!)

I also figured I may as well do this to the gloves to see how it looks. The speckles of the spray paint showed up more on the leather, so I am thinking of ways to even this out.

Also completed is the gray sash to go under my belt. I sewed both ends and left the bottom opening undone so that I can adjust it once the armor comes in. Some excess fabric was also kept in the back in case my weight fluctuates. Secured the back with sticky velcro and will be sewing these as insurance. Still debating if I should weather this sash, but I am thinking it looks pretty frazzled how it is currently.

That's it for now. I need to grab some regular primer so that I can start on painting the helmet. Hoping to get that started in the next few days!

Bri'a

« Reply #6 on: Sep 11, 2021, 01:21 PM »
Got some painting done on the helmet. Just have to do the earcaps and then weathering! Here are a few pics of the helmets paint progress.

Also got the remainder of my soft parts in, so I will be focusing on getting those adjusted and weathered after the helmet is done.

Skub Dunkhus

« Reply #7 on: Sep 11, 2021, 02:23 PM »
Love the color scheme so far!!

MMCC #2639
First Kit WIP Thread (APPROVED): https://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=202175.new#new

Bri'a

« Reply #8 on: Sep 11, 2021, 09:56 PM »
Love the color scheme so far!!

Thanks!! My sister and brother in law helped me pick it out so it is pretty special to me :D

Bri'a

« Reply #9 on: Sep 14, 2021, 07:43 PM »
Finally finished the helmet! Forgot to put clear coat on before installing the visor, so that will be done soon. When installing the visor I got some hot glue on the front. I guessed I rubbed the visor too hard as there's now a tiny dent in the middle. Thinking I will have to replace it now, so that's a bit of a bummer. You can see the swirl area on the top of the "T" right below the right triangle.

When attempting to paint portions of the helmet, I dropped a whole cup of paint and it splattered on the side and back of the helmet. Had to re-do the painting, but I ended up keeping portions of the splattered to incorporate it into the weathering process!

Also got started on my flack vest. I got a plate carrier from a Sports shop and took off all straps and velcro pockets. I ordered some white military surplus suspenders which I will dye black and utilize for the side straps. Just waiting on the roll of leather to come in so I can make the shoulder straps and put it all together!

Skub Dunkhus

« Reply #10 on: Sep 15, 2021, 10:21 AM »
Yes!! It looks so good! You blended that into weathering seamlessly. Fantastic work. Loving how this is looking.

MMCC #2639

Bri'a

« Reply #11 on: Sep 15, 2021, 09:35 PM »
Yes!! It looks so good! You blended that into weathering seamlessly. Fantastic work. Loving how this is looking.

Thanks! It really did end up being a "happy accident" lol.

Bri'a

« Reply #12 on: Sep 17, 2021, 04:03 PM »
Made some more progress on the soft parts today!

Decided to take advantage of the rainy weather and slather mud all over my boots. Kind of hurt my feelings as these were brand new and I always keep my shoes cleaned lol. A layer of darker brown acrylic paint was blotted underneath to creat some depth.

However, with the finished product I felt it was too much. My weathering is mostly having an ash/faded effect since the majority of soft parts are black. This seemed not to match. So, I broke out the acrylic paints again and did a backwash to create a less drastic and more evened out tone.

I needed some shoulder straps for my flack vest, so I bought a roll of white faux leather to match the side straps after I dye those.

I cut the shoulder portions out and dyed those along with the other side straps made from the suspenders. Added a quick spray of white paint for the ashy effect.

Next came the cloth sash and belt/buckle. These were weathered with some misting of spray paints as I have done with other parts of the costume. The belt buckle was weathered with a black acrylic wash.

For my cape, I bought a Meter of gray duck cloth and cut it into a rectangle. The top of the cape was taped off the create a sort of triangle form. This will be a short shoulder cape. I randomly cut the edges and bottom to make it look torn. I will be doing some more effects to make the tattering look more realistic later. Then, the cape was misted with spray paints.

Lastly, the flack vest. I misted white on areas I assumed would be more worn to create a faded effect. I will be attempting at sewing the straps on and finalizing the vest tonight/tomorrow.

Skub Dunkhus

« Reply #13 on: Sep 17, 2021, 04:05 PM »
Loving the detail on the cape! I'm working on mine tonight as well!

MMCC #2639

Bri'a

« Reply #14 on: Sep 17, 2021, 05:40 PM »
Loving the detail on the cape! I'm working on mine tonight as well!

Good luck I am sure it'll come out great! I will look for updates soon!! Saw that you had to get a new favric but I'm liking  the color scheme you have planned for it :D very unique!

Skub Dunkhus

« Reply #15 on: Sep 17, 2021, 10:02 PM »
Good luck I am sure it'll come out great! I will look for updates soon!! Saw that you had to get a new favric but I'm liking  the color scheme you have planned for it :D very unique!

Thanks!! Hoping to have some updates by tomorrow morning.

MMCC #2639

Bri'a

« Reply #16 on: Sep 20, 2021, 02:10 PM »
Got my flack vest and belt finished up!

For the flak vest, I took the straps from the military surplus suspenders and the deconstructed plate carrier together. The shoulder straps were made from a roll of faux leather I had bought and dyed. The straps were glued with E6000 then sewn for good measure.

For the belt, I wanted a few pouches to hold things and also work with the aesthetic. I purchased four used military surplus ammo pouches and a handmade cell phone pouch by Odran Krayt. The military surplus pouches were dyed black and then I weathered all of them with the misting of white spray paint. The front button on the cell phone pouch was painted silver to match the rest if the kit. All of these were put together on the belt.

Working on my holster, blaster, vibro blade, and sheath next!

DirkSteele

• We're an idea. And you can't kill ideas
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Donated four quarters of 2023. Award for 10 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member
« Reply #17 on: Sep 23, 2021, 09:56 AM »
Kit is looking fantastic! Great job integrating the splatter accident into the weathering.

Gar taldin ni jaonyc; gar sa buir, ori'wadaas'la
"Nobody cares who your father was, only the father you’ll be."

Brigade Kit WIP - http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=211252.0

Bri'a

« Reply #18 on: Sep 25, 2021, 02:56 PM »
Kit is looking fantastic! Great job integrating the splatter accident into the weathering.

Thanks so much!!  :like:

Bri'a

« Reply #19 on: Sep 25, 2021, 03:11 PM »
I have finished my holster and am working on the armor now! The holster was bought from a military surplus store. I cut the straps from the top so that the blaster can fit it in without being scratched. This holster was already worn and beat up, so I didn't have to weather it!

I was originally going to have the holster directly on the belt "Western Style", but it seemed very constraining and looked off. I decided to create a way to have it hang on the side of my thigh. I took an old black purse strap and cut it up to create the straps which will connect the holster to the belt.

I punched holes in the back of the holster for the clips to connect through. The bare ends of the straps were connected to the belt through leather snaps and sewing. The middle portion of the holster will also have a strap which will run through the loop around my leg. I will work on this when I get to fitting the armor. Here is the product so far:

Next, I finally got my armor from Canaife Ordo Forges off of Etsy! I planned on having a few pieces to be "accents" with the same bronze color on my helmet. I forgot to take pictures of the bare sintra, but here are a few progress pictures:

Next is the weathering of the armor and painting of the blaster/vibroblade! Excited that this is all coming together. I am confident I will have this ready by Halloween lol.

Ad'eta

• Ellemijn
« Reply #20 on: Sep 25, 2021, 06:34 PM »
Wow this looks great! Loving the way you turned the holster into a leg holster. Looking forward to seeing the full kit once it's finished.

Skub Dunkhus

« Reply #21 on: Sep 25, 2021, 11:06 PM »
Looking good!  :like:

MMCC #2639

Bri'a

« Reply #22 on: Oct 28, 2021, 09:14 PM »
After a long wait for my gauntlets from AprilStorm, they have finally arrived! I used this waiting time yo take a break from kit making and haven't done much.

I still have to paint and weather the gauntlets and it's accessories. Here is how they sit now.

I weathered the rest of the armor pieces and this is them now!

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!