Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Jazerís WIP

• 47 Replies

Jazer

Re: Jazerís WIP
« Reply #30 on: Apr 14, 2022, 10:09 AM »
New sleeker/more low profile design for the blade cover.

Getting it set in place & molded in. Painted the inside black first. I made a small hole in the back to easily nudge the blade out of position one (again, all held in place with magnets).

Went to work on my knees, building up the rocket dart launcher mounting spot. I triple layered some sintra and had the front piece bend around for a nice wide area to e6000 it onto the base knee. Molded it in. Just need to get some lil rockets now. I am planning on using two air fittings on each knee.

Chest plates. I initially thought I would like a harsh cut on the outer edge of the chest, to sort of match the thigh plates, but it just wasn't working for me. Went back to smooth it out by adding some sintra back in and molding it in. I think I will be happier with the finished product here.

One more layer of bondo touchups needed on the above pieces to smooth it the rest of the way out out and then I think they will be ready for paint.

Went ahead and painted the back sides of all the armor with a quick base coat of black primer.

« Reply #31 on: Apr 24, 2022, 10:07 AM »
Wow, this build is really looking AWESOME!  My wife is really liking how you ended up doing your chest armor as that is where we have stalled with her build

Can't wait to see this build come together. And when you first kit up and see yourself...... that will be a wow moment 👍

OM-#2616   Krayin Gooss

Jazer

« Reply #32 on: Apr 24, 2022, 10:22 AM »
Thank you so much! Yes the angular plates made my life so much easier. That part is incredibly hard to form for the female body with Sintra without darts. There are probably some additional tricks to it but I found this method much easier. You do have to take some time filling and smoothing the darts but it's simple, albeit a bit time consuming.

Jazer

« Reply #33 on: Apr 24, 2022, 10:31 AM »
Knees finished being smoothed out

Testing out the look of the air fittings for rocket dart launchers.

Drilled holes to screw in the air fittings. Will add e600o/epoxy to the threads when I do. They aren't perfectly lined up as I just stuck em in there quick to test fitment and look.

Chest plates finished

Right bracer finished. I plan to leave this one simple and smooth in design. Left will have the fire power. I am ultimately shooting for Assassin Brigade so keeping things not-bulky in nature.

Started working on some bracer mounted darts & blasters for the left bracer. Darts are legos, and the housing is an electrical connector I cut down. The blasters I made from tubing cut down from a water gun and some auxillary connectors. The base is another electrical plug that I drilled out and epoxies some dowels in to help give the tubing something to sit on. I plan to add one more lil auxillary piece if I can make it work to sit at the back there to be the laser sight. This whole bracer is still at the start so changes are likely. I am again trying to keep it nice and clean, and not bulky so that it will fit the Assassin CRLs.

Jazer

« Reply #34 on: Apr 24, 2022, 10:40 AM »
Oh - and myself & my bff (who is also working on a kit) were having a lil too much fun with the painters tape. Just about ready for approval??? :P

« Reply #35 on: Apr 24, 2022, 03:36 PM »
I love the use of the air fittings for dart launchers!  The armor is looking fantastic!

Oh, the painters tape.. 😉👍

OM-#2616   Krayin Gooss

Jazer

« Reply #36 on: Apr 25, 2022, 08:46 AM »
I love the use of the air fittings for dart launchers!  The armor is looking fantastic!

Oh, the painters tape.. 😉👍
Thanks! I hope they aren't too heavy but they sure look great, haha.

Jazer

« Reply #37 on: Apr 27, 2022, 12:34 PM »
I decided to change some colors around. I wasn't in love with the gunmetal base coats as originally intended. I decided to go with different shades of Bronze. I felt this would be more cohesive with the brown leather components I want to incorporate and flow  nicely with the few turquoise components. My end goal is Assassin Brigade and I was told properly weathered these should fit CRLs. I felt the Bronze & browns would look more muted for a more camouflaged appearance as well.

Base coat:

Main coat:

Highlight coat:

Turqoise Accents:

Dark accent color (If I can find it):

This is a ROUGH re-color of my latest design mockup.

I started painting. I used mustard as a masking fluid- it has a slight odor but otherwise worked fabulously.

After removing the mustard I added some black paint to varying degrees of dilution to dirty it up and tie it all together.

(don't mind the paper towel fuzzies, I used towels to blot it along side a sponge/brush/fingertips).

Clear coated once all finished with a semi-gloss clear. (It is not as shiney or metallicy as the direct  sun shot makes it out to be. I really love this color. If the armor ends up looking too shiny I will get the matte modge podge out and dull it up some.

Out of direct sun.

Testing out under my sash (I have not yet weathered any of my soft parts). It's a little crooked as I was just holding my sash tight to hold it in place and it kept slipping.

Started on my thighs. Still waiting on the lighter copper color to finish these up.

« Last Edit: Apr 27, 2022, 12:39 PM by Jazer » Logged

Jazer

« Reply #38 on: Apr 29, 2022, 07:53 PM »
Lots of paint progress today.

Went a lil heavier with the masking on the lighter copper - I am going to incorporate less of the lighter copper than initially planned. It is super pretty but Im just loving the darker bronze too much to cover a lot of it. . Im thinking a highlight of lighter copper on 1-2 more components. Thighs still need to be black washed and dirtied.

Painted the knee dart rockets to look burnt and ashen from firing lots of projectiles.

I'm having too much fun weathering the armor and embracing imperfections to look worn - going a bit more weathered than I initially planned but I think it will come together nicely.

« Last Edit: Apr 29, 2022, 09:03 PM by Jazer » Logged

Aster Veris

• CEO of socks
« Reply #39 on: Apr 30, 2022, 09:06 PM »
Plates look great, awesome colors and even better weathering! Keep up the great work vod  :like:

MMCC #2630 | they/them | mav oya'la clan |IG: @ plant.alorian | Aster WIP
« Reply #40 on: May 01, 2022, 04:44 PM »
This really turned out awesome! I too didn't plan to weather as much..... but once I got started, it just looked so real and made it look legit! Plus..... it's fun doing the weathering😉

The weathering of the soft parts was more difficult,  but keepi g it consistent throughout makes the entire kit look complete

Keep up the great work!

OM-#2616   Krayin Gooss

Jazer

« Reply #41 on: May 01, 2022, 05:12 PM »
Thank you! I appreciate the feedback. I kept going back and fourth on my thigh plates and whether I loved them as much as the rest of the armor..

They still need cleared but I did add the black wash.

Jazer

« Reply #42 on: May 04, 2022, 09:08 AM »
Chest, collar & ab plates weathered. These components are pretty much done. Gauntlets & helmet next. Both will incorporate some of the copper.

I made a 'mini' iron heart piece of trauma plating to see if I liked it copper to help tie in the copper to the central bit of armor. I had initially planned to do some patterning but I just loved the armor as-is.. I didn't black wash it yet... but I am leaning away from using it. I am going to reassess once the gauntlets and helmet is there for the overall look but to me looks out of place at this stage.

« Last Edit: May 04, 2022, 09:11 AM by Jazer » Logged

Aster Veris

• CEO of socks
« Reply #43 on: May 10, 2022, 09:07 PM »
Very nice!

MMCC #2630 | they/them | mav oya'la clan |IG: @ plant.alorian | Aster WIP

Jazer

« Reply #44 on: May 12, 2022, 11:11 AM »
Finally decided on closure method for my gauntlets. I used the remaining piece of piano hinge and mounted it with Chicago screws like the outer hinge, but this one with a removeable pin. The Chicago screws are all loctite'd in so hopefully they stay tight. I was thinking of throwing something adhesive over the inside too, something soft to aid in comfort while wearing them.. I do need to add a little foam to help hold them in place, but  I am very very happy with them.

Base coat of paint.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!