Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

What clothing (Flak?) is appropiate, or best to use under your armor?

• 6 Replies
So I have been planning out my costume and I was starting to look at what use to attach the armor to. I am not at all good at sewing but I do know someone that can take things in, but I would primarily start with an actual piece of clothing. Are there certain types that you would suggest, or recommend? (I plan on using snaps to attach the armor to the fabric)

Hey, I'm Flobbit! I'm a noob cosplayer so give me the benefit of the doubt! <3 =)

Tramp Graphics

• Illustrator
There are a lot of options, as long as they meet the CRLs. You can go with the standard Fett style vest, a MOLLE/
Tactical vest (as long as the MOLLE straps are completely hidden or removed), a plate carrier, etc. I use an “armored” motorcycle vest with a front closure. Other vests will have side closures or back closures. There are plenty of vendors in the Mandalorian Supplies sub forums that make custom soft goods, including vests. As well as off the shelf vests that can be used with little to no modification. So, my suggestion is look around at what others are using, do a google search for “flack vests” or “tactical vests”, and see what looks good to you then run it by your clan Ruus’alors. As long as the vest meets the CRLs, there really is a lot of variation and options.

What about for pants. If I look for those other things, will I get results for them as well or is there something else I should look for those?

Hey, I'm Flobbit! I'm a noob cosplayer so give me the benefit of the doubt! <3 =)

Second Son

• Awards Special Weapons EnviroOps Special Operations Brigade Member
Tramp is spot on about your flak vest.
Your base layer should look like a single piece flight suit. According to the CRLs, two-piece suits are permitted as long as they appear to be one piece when you are in your kit. Your waist items will cover where your pants and top meet.
As for the base garment - common solutions I have seen while making this search myself are:
 Red Kap coveralls
 Dickies coveralls, workwear, scrubs
 Take a coverall pattern and modify it
 Modify a McCalls or similar flightsuit costume pattern
If you are interested in purchasing, Tramp's suggestion of checking the merchants section is probably your best place to start.
Web searches and Etsy are potentially dangerous - check with your local clan leadership and the forums for sellers to avoid.

Be sure to read the CRLs and discuss your plans with your local group's leadership, they will guide you right.

Tramp Graphics

• Illustrator
To add to what Second Son said, I use a set of black BDUs (Battle Dress Uniform). You can find those at any military surplus store.

Before you throw away a lot of money on replica items, go through your closet and pull out anything that could be incorporated into your costume. For example, you might find an old vest that could pass for body armor, or you might find old protective gear for sports that could be used for gloves and other items in the suit.
Make a list of all the things you will need for the suit, and gradually mark on it the things you have already picked up. Things from gentleman's guru can be used as a great decoration.

So early to mid, should every colonist wear leather/devistrand dusters and pants, then flak vests on top, and a helmet? Am I missing an article of clothing (shirt as well as a duster)? Or can say your non-violent researchers get away with just regular clothes? Cloth/leather dusters. These are very easy to make and provide minor protection to many body parts. They also give a practical range of weather protection. If it is very cold, you may want parkas instead. Never build jackets. They suck. Try a new collection of referee tees from Mato & Hash

« Last Edit: Apr 13, 2022, 07:04 AM by DiazwzAU » Logged

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!