Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Now a general soft-parts thread (was Boots of +1 Awesome)

• 16 Replies

Peregrinus

• Ven'cuyi o'r ni'havlaam... >_>
First, thank you so much for finding these for me and sending them to me, Tomoe. :) And thank you also to whichever member of the Bundeswehr these boots were. You've made me very happy. :D

From close looks at exhibitions, these seem to be the boots used for the Stormtrooper officers and Imperial pilots in Star Wars (not as sure about the Rebel pilots). '70s vintage, West German military jackboots. I'm going to be using these for my Stormtrooper Officer and my custom Imperial (Royal Guard) pilot costumes. And until I either find a pair of Kenneth Cole Pit Crews or convince KC to make another run, these are going to serve as my custom Mando's boots.

Fresh from the box. I need to clean them and polish them and get boot-forms in them, but they're in remarkably good shape. I'm probably going to do strap-on sabaton plates to tie them into the rest of the armour's look as I go.

This will become a general soft-parts thread over the next week as I square away my workspace and I pull all my projects out to get them re-staged on my new shelves.

--Jonah

« Last Edit: Jan 07, 2010, 09:32 PM by Peregrinus » Logged
MABEL #008

WIP "clearing house" posts:
Protector-themed v0.5 kit

Plus, guns:
Custom Westar-34
Merr-Sonn

TrooperJasher

• Squiggle me this...
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions. Beastmaster Brigade Member
Re: Boots of +1 Awesome
« Reply #1 on: Dec 31, 2009, 03:20 AM »
SWEET

Havoc13

« Reply #2 on: Dec 31, 2009, 07:18 AM »
Those are some nice looking boots... great find.

kallic

• Bullets. need i say more.
« Reply #3 on: Dec 31, 2009, 04:19 PM »
nice!

Peregrinus

Re: Now a general soft-parts thread (was Boots of +1 Awesome)
« Reply #4 on: Jan 07, 2010, 09:37 PM »
My gloves got here yesterday. I'll be taking pictures later tonight of them and the muslin pattern for my flak vest. I'm still tweaking my coveralls pattern to make it accurate to the Boba flight suit, and the dye is ordered. I need to order the poly-pro twill for the flak vest/glove plant-ons/coverall neck/helmet seal.

My girlfriend has been shellacking things down there and I can't spend more than a couple minutes in there without getting way too high. :(

--Jonah

MABEL #008

Plus, guns:
Custom Westar-34
Merr-Sonn

Peregrinus

« Reply #5 on: Jan 08, 2010, 07:05 AM »
Urgh. Headachy from trying to work down in the fumes tonight. Had to beg off on the vest, but here are the gloves. I know they don't look like much yet, but these are the accurate grey cotton parade gloves -- with the wrist snap -- that were used as the base for Boba's gloves. As with a lot of my soft parts, these are going to be interchangable between my custom and my Fenn Shysa.

Nothing really to do with them until the poly-pro twill gets here... :( More tomorrow on the vest, hopefully.

--Jonah

MABEL #008

Plus, guns:
Custom Westar-34
Merr-Sonn

Peregrinus

« Reply #6 on: Jul 08, 2010, 06:49 PM »
The soft pack I'm going with is this 1950s-pattern British combat gear:

The belt and shoulder straps will be under my flak vest, as the rocketpack harness would be if I had one, with the straps to the pack feeding through the slits in the vest. When I finish my “trenchvest”, both this and the hard pack will still be able to be worn over it, as well.

Belt, holster, and sash forthcoming...

MABEL #008

Plus, guns:
Custom Westar-34
Merr-Sonn
« Reply #7 on: Jul 17, 2010, 04:31 PM »
First, thank you so much for finding these for me and sending them to me, Tomoe. :) And thank you also to whichever member of the Bundeswehr these boots were. You've made me very happy. :D

From close looks at exhibitions, these seem to be the boots used for the Stormtrooper officers and Imperial pilots in Star Wars (not as sure about the Rebel pilots). '70s vintage, West German military jackboots. I'm going to be using these for my Stormtrooper Officer and my custom Imperial (Royal Guard) pilot costumes. And until I either find a pair of Kenneth Cole Pit Crews or convince KC to make another run, these are going to serve as my custom Mando's boots.

Fresh from the box. I need to clean them and polish them and get boot-forms in them, but they're in remarkably good shape. I'm probably going to do strap-on sabaton plates to tie them into the rest of the armour's look as I go.

This will become a general soft-parts thread over the next week as I square away my workspace and I pull all my projects out to get them re-staged on my new shelves.

--Jonah

Where did you get these from and for how much? I wouldn't mind a pair. OYA MANDO!!

Zahr

« Reply #8 on: Jul 19, 2010, 11:24 PM »
You can try Major Surplus and Survival, Cheaper Than Dirt or Sportsman's Guide in their Military Surplus section. 

Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya. - "Train your sons to be strong but your daughters to be stronger."

Peregrinus

« Reply #9 on: Jul 20, 2010, 02:36 AM »
Because those are old West German boots, I asked Tomoe to look around, since she lives in Germany and speaks the language far, far better than I ever could. >_> They don't show up often on eBay, and most of the sites that do list them are in German. So... *heh*

If you're not trying to get these exact boots (since I'll also be using them for an accurate Stormtrooper Officer costume), use them as a reference for any similar military-style jackboots. I'd also suggest looking specifically at Soviet paratrooper boots. Those are not very often seen in North America, and are pretty distinctive.

--Jonah

« Last Edit: Oct 14, 2010, 09:18 PM by Peregrinus » Logged
MABEL #008

Plus, guns:
Custom Westar-34
Merr-Sonn

Mafio

« Reply #10 on: Jul 20, 2010, 06:25 AM »
jup  this is Jackboot-country.   Fireworkers, Emergency management, Paradeguards, Navy    they are all still wearing jackboots in duty  so yes... they exist modern  high-tech jackboots  with Steelcaps, heat-resisting leather and Rubbersoles   of course.

The Cheapest one would be  the   common  former   east-german  Military Boot   which is made  out of  some synchtetic leather (since  everything in the GDR was made out of cheap, synthetic replacemants).
Thanks to communistic economy   they  are  several  hives   of  unused  and  "new" boots  (well they are atleast all produced before 1989)  ;D

Peregrinus

« Reply #11 on: Oct 14, 2010, 09:26 PM »
Text update time. As I said in other WIP threads, the last couple months have been messy and seen me online less and less, culminating in my computer dying a couple weeks back. I have a new power supply and a new hard drive, and am still getting back up to speed. I'll be back to delve later tonight to update this and my other WIP threads with whatever pics I had uploaded to Photobucket before my computer went phut.

My vest pattern has been finalized for some time, pending final fitting of the muslin blank over flight suit and backpack harness. I also still need to order the poly-pro twill, due to other things constantly coming up that have stronger claim on my money.

I have the water-based stain to dye my sash, once I order the girth belt. Same caveat there as the poly-pro twill.

I also have the patterns for several of my pouches taken care of, but -- wait for it -- need the spare cash to buy the leather I'm going to use for them. *sigh*

I'd wished I'd've had more progress by now, but I've been far, far too broke this year.

--Jonah

MABEL #008

Plus, guns:
Custom Westar-34
Merr-Sonn

Peregrinus

« Reply #12 on: Nov 15, 2012, 08:28 PM »

So anyway... Honor sash. :)

Went the good old mohair girth belt route. "Dyed" it with Minwax's now-discontinued water-based latex stain (Rosewood, to be specific). Glad I got the can way back when.

On the original film costume, the buckles weren't functional. They just sewed the straps to the inside of the belt and the buckles were flapping free. This is one of my larger deviations from film-accuracy in my approach. If I have buckles, I want them to buckle. :P

--Jonah

MABEL #008

Plus, guns:
Custom Westar-34
Merr-Sonn

Karvas Dral

• Poodoo.
« Reply #13 on: Nov 15, 2012, 08:32 PM »
Question. Where'd you get those gray parade gloves? Been looking for a pair.

Peregrinus

« Reply #14 on: Nov 15, 2012, 11:15 PM »
Here. :)

--Jonah

MABEL #008

Plus, guns:
Custom Westar-34
Merr-Sonn

Byrek Avery

• I hunt the Bigger Fish.
« Reply #15 on: Nov 17, 2012, 05:23 PM »
I want to see you in armor so bad.

Designed by Haran Tracyn

Mercaholic: #52 24hr Member
Official Member #668
Byrek Avery's WIP: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=47081.0

Peregrinus

« Reply #16 on: Nov 18, 2012, 01:56 AM »
Yeah, me, too (you have seen my armor WIP thread, yes?). My knees are ready to paint, and one piece of boot armor (need to redo the other one). So they're to one side waiting for the next armor party to crank out. I've gotta do some last tweaking to my helmet, and some fiddling with electronics...

But now that it's getting seriously cold outside, I'm going to be finishing up my flight suit and flak vest in fairly short order. Hopefully, I won't have any complications from the duster. I'm hoping to have this done as a Christmas present to myself. :)

--Jonah

MABEL #008

Plus, guns:
Custom Westar-34
Merr-Sonn

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!