Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Makyo's WIP

• 28 Replies
Makyo's WIP
« on: Oct 07, 2021, 10:51 AM »
since I am nearing completion, I suppose it is time to share a quick rundown of my process. 
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10100646717950347&id=150601611&sfnsn=mo
I received a set of raw printed gauntlets and torso Armour from a few local Mandos that were willing to help me start my process.  I used Bondo Brand Plastic Metal and Rustoleum filler/primer to smooth my print lines out.  I also used my Delta head hand sander with 120, 140 and 220 grit pads.  I also hand sanded with 1000 and 2000 grit paper.

Intergalactically known as 'The Mando wit' da bando'
Re: Makyo's WIP
« Reply #1 on: Oct 07, 2021, 10:52 AM »
my leg and knee Armour is foam core and pvc plastic that has been shaped, covered with plaster of Paris and plastic metal to strengthen and smooth it over.

my bucket was gifted to me, as it was too big for the original owner. 

« Reply #2 on: Oct 07, 2021, 10:53 AM »
my sash and cape were made from scrap material I had in a box full of material I use for cosplaying.  I modified an old tactical vest by removing all the pockets and the inner plate pouch.  I then, hemmed the two top layers together, tapered the sides and added more velcro for a tighter fit.   my flight suit from Etsy had sleeves that were a bit too big, so i tapered them down to fit inside my gauntlets.

my gloves were purchased from Harbour Freight and I then hot water shrunk them, painted and weathered them.

« Reply #3 on: Oct 07, 2021, 10:54 AM »
I am now, in the finishing stages. I am around 90% complete.  I just have to finish my fan and microphone installation, make my ammo belt and finish my gauntlet details.  Then, I will be pre-app ready!

« Reply #4 on: Oct 07, 2021, 10:58 AM »
I noticed that while I was weathering my gauntlets, the print lines were still visible.  so, I went back and resanded them down....repainted and re-weathered them...

I have also finished installing my fans in my helmet.  the battery sits behind my head and the only wire coming out will be my microphone.

Aster Veris

• "Monarch of mud"
  • Awards EnviroOps Beastmaster Brigade Member
« Reply #5 on: Oct 08, 2021, 01:12 AM »
Wow! You look absolutely epic!

OM #2630 | BM #394 | they/them | mav oya'la clan |IG: @ plant.alorian | Aster WIP

NaTiki

• If you can't be good, at least have fun.
« Reply #6 on: Oct 09, 2021, 08:03 PM »
Commenting to follow. Looks great so far!

Na'Tiki the New-at-this
Supporter of Lothcats Against Imperialism
WIP Thread
« Reply #7 on: Oct 10, 2021, 10:45 AM »
after a little tweaking i did this week to my belt, busting a lightsaber and making my leg wraps, i think we got a Mando ready to be made official!
i just cut an old tshirt up, soaked it in muddy water, then took the strips outside for some real dirt.

RIP to this lightsaber!

my belt looked "too familiar", so i made a new buckle and did a little paint and scuffing....

here are a couple of my weapons, the mic i use and the test shots from this morning...

Tramp Graphics

• Illustrator
« Reply #8 on: Oct 10, 2021, 10:51 AM »
Looking good. One slight problem, however. When you look up I can see a small bit of your bare throat. You might want to get a neck gaiter to wear under your flight suit collar to fill that in.

Aster Veris

• "Monarch of mud"
« Reply #9 on: Oct 10, 2021, 09:24 PM »
You look great! Plus I love the tron legacy poster, one of my favorites  ;D

OM #2630 | BM #394 | they/them | mav oya'la clan |IG: @ plant.alorian | Aster WIP
« Reply #10 on: Oct 11, 2021, 08:44 AM »
much appreciated guys!  i've got something to cover my neck, but i didn't have it on in that.  what about my cape?  is that design approvable?

Second Son

• Awards Special Weapons EnviroOps Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #11 on: Oct 11, 2021, 10:27 AM »
much appreciated guys!  i've got something to cover my neck, but i didn't have it on in that.  what about my cape?  is that design approvable?

CRLs don't specifically ban patterned capes - the only thing they really say in that vein is "Dusters and capes must fit the Star Wars aesthetic and are judged on a case by case basis."  It's clearly an expression of individuality (the whole point of a custom Mando?) and doesn't seem to clash with the overall flavor of your kit. So as long as the app team doesn't think the pattern is too 'earthy' I'd bet it's ok. 

I really dig your method of visor obscuring, it's pretty darn cool.

Aster Veris

• "Monarch of mud"
« Reply #12 on: Oct 12, 2021, 01:18 AM »
The material of the cape should totally be fine!
However the CRLs stress "Capes used in lieu of a backplate must be of sturdy material and more substantial than a raw cut piece of material" which means the cape needs to have a hem or something like that. I can't see one on your cape, so that could be an issue.

« Reply #13 on: Oct 12, 2021, 08:02 AM »
so, i had this older cape i made for a prior cosplay.  I opted to dye it and i'll be using this one instead.

Fabian

• The guy on the bounty puk is not me I promise
« Reply #14 on: Oct 12, 2021, 08:26 AM »
this one looks great :like: :like: :like:

This is the way
Mando name : Azrud Shurd
Up to date WIP: https://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=207106.msg2255614#msg2255614

Aster Veris

• "Monarch of mud"
« Reply #15 on: Oct 12, 2021, 08:59 PM »
That looks great too!

« Reply #16 on: Oct 25, 2021, 08:26 PM »
a few last details to add and we'll be done.  I burned some blaster holes and cuts into my cape to give it a little action....

i also prepped my new holster for greeblies!

Odran Krayt

• Aliit ori'shya tal'din (Family is more than blood)
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023.
« Reply #17 on: Oct 26, 2021, 11:38 AM »
The blaster still looks a bit toyish, but adding some sort of cover over the orange lit portion, I rarely see star wars guns with that much open space direct to the internals.

B.O.M.B.  #85|L.O.B. #41|M.A. #180|MAJIC #184|B.o.B.B #028
New Death Watch Order #44|O.O.P.S! #44
ALUMINATI #053 | V.B.V #7
Odran Krayt WIP
Nexan Armories (Sales thread)
I've been doin' this since I was 10!
« Reply #18 on: Feb 14, 2022, 08:28 PM »
I did a test fitting a while back and my chest plate broke.  I took some time to repair it.  I took some filament and rebonded it.  Then, i resanded and painted the piece again.  I was also dealing with some print lines in my cod piece.   This is the new-new!

Jacen_Katarr

• Where'd you find coconuts all the way out here?
« Reply #20 on: Feb 22, 2022, 07:28 AM »
here are the new guns i decided to use for my kit.  a little more sanding and detail, then they'll be ready!

Fabian

• The guy on the bounty puk is not me I promise
« Reply #21 on: Feb 22, 2022, 09:30 AM »
 I like those  :P

This is the way
Mando name : Azrud Shurd
Up to date WIP: https://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=207106.msg2255614#msg2255614

Odran Krayt

• Aliit ori'shya tal'din (Family is more than blood)
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023.
« Reply #22 on: Feb 23, 2022, 02:04 AM »
Don't know if you have plans to fill them in or not, but I see distinct part lines on that westar, where the different pieces meet, that'll get kicked back for sure if left visible.

B.O.M.B.  #85|L.O.B. #41|M.A. #180|MAJIC #184|B.o.B.B #028
New Death Watch Order #44|O.O.P.S! #44
ALUMINATI #053 | V.B.V #7
Odran Krayt WIP
Nexan Armories (Sales thread)
I've been doin' this since I was 10!
« Reply #23 on: Feb 23, 2022, 08:02 AM »
Don't know if you have plans to fill them in or not, but I see distinct part lines on that westar, where the different pieces meet, that'll get kicked back for sure if left visible.
these are progress pictures.  I will fill them in.

« Reply #24 on: Jun 28, 2022, 06:02 PM »
 :like: I fixed my print lines, darkened and recut my visor and repainted the chest pieces to remove all font including the one pictured on the ab plate.....a full suit-up will be coming soon for pre-app review!  :like:

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!