Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Oversized Arm Prosthetic Approvable?

• 4 Replies
Oversized Arm Prosthetic Approvable?
« on: Oct 27, 2021, 06:04 PM »
Hey everybody,
Thanks for reading this. Please bear with me as I am still fairly new and have only posted once before.

I asked previously if It would work to have one arm of my armor designed to look like a prosthetic and got a lot of polite confirmation and some good examples, so Thank you guys for being such an awesome and welcoming community. =)

I hope I'm not taking a mile when given an inch or anything, but now I'm wondering if it would be acceptable for me to make the prosthetic distinctly oversized. To be clear, I don't mean a tiny bit or anything, but somewhere between Hellboy, and Doomfist.
I'd still be trying to keep to a Star Wars style/aesthetic obviously, but I'm worried that a deliberately oversized arm would, in and of itself, be too odd for approval.

(I have a couple drawings of the general style I'm considering, but nothing to scale. I can try and post them if necessary, but for now I'm just asking about the concept in general)

Re: Oversized Arm Prosthetic Approvable?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 27, 2021, 09:19 PM »
For starters, I'm not an officer or an OM.  But I can see the potential of a cyborg arm with integrated weapons and a big ol' crush gauntlet looking hand thing. My gut says that if built well with approvable materials and with an appropriately swarzy aesthetic, you could get it to pass. 
I will, however, advise starting off small, getting an approved kit, and then expanding and updating with this cool concept.  It would be a pain to hold up approval and trooping while dialing this in.

Pair it with a lightsaber trophy add-on for story factor -
"Hey did I tell you about the time I got my arm cut off by a space wizard?"
"No Vod, how'd it happen?"
"Well, a space wizard cut off my arm. And then I got THIS!" <brandish super rad robo-arm>

« Reply #2 on: Oct 28, 2021, 12:13 AM »
That makes sense, Thanks =)
I really like the lightsaber trophy idea.
And while I have a bad habit of not knowing how to start small, you're probably right, leaping to extremes is probably not the best idea haha

Arkham

• Awards Legends of Mandalore Brigade 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions Special Weapons
« Reply #3 on: Oct 28, 2021, 09:41 AM »
I'd still be trying to keep to a Star Wars style/aesthetic obviously, but I'm worried that a deliberately oversized arm would, in and of itself, be too odd for approval.

Here is the way I always approach anything when it comes to designing my kit:

If this character walked out on screen in a SW movie or TV show, would any part of it seem out of place, or not part of the universe?
Does it seem realistic for the SW aesthetic?
If you got a call from The Mandalorian's production team looking for an extra, would your kit gel with everything else on the screen?

My 2 credits on this would be; What era are you going for? If you are going Early Crusader or Crusader era (an era with older tech) then it would make sense that it may have to be oversized to a bit for that time period (look up Cay Qel Droma for an example). For modern or Post-Imperial eras, the cybernetics we see are very trim and form fitting, if not disguised to look like the actual limb (Luke, Vader, etc.).  So, while you could do it, what would be the purpose?

If a trimmer one was as strong, why need a larger one?
Would it off balance your Mando? How would they get their armor off/on over the oversized limb?
Would their armor have to be modified to accommodate that?
If it was a leg (rather than an arm) would it look out of place?
Is this what a cybernetic physician/droid actually install for this character?

Arkham's WIP

Tra'cor Clan // G.O.M.O.L # 032 // M.V.S #68 // O.O.P.S.! #52 // L.O.B #49
« Reply #4 on: Oct 28, 2021, 05:06 PM »
Here is the way I always approach anything when it comes to designing my kit:

If this character walked out on screen in a SW movie or TV show, would any part of it seem out of place, or not part of the universe?
Does it seem realistic for the SW aesthetic?
If you got a call from The Mandalorian's production team looking for an extra, would your kit gel with everything else on the screen?

Well put. This seems like it'll be a really good guide as I flesh out ideas for my kit. And really everything you said makes sense.
I really like the idea of the oversized arm, but you have multiple very valid points. I'm going to have to think long and hard on this one (most likely just taking the time needed to let the idea go haha)
Also, I appreciate you bringing up reasonable concerns without simply shutting the idea down.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!