Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Jaxson Drevs Armor and WIPs

• 9 Replies

Jaxson Drev

• sworn to the mand’alore, like those before me
Jaxson Drevs Armor and WIPs
« on: Oct 13, 2021, 05:14 PM »
Hello there Vode, here I will be showing you all my kit that I have made for myself, and I will also be talking about what I plan on to improve my kit for when I go for OM status. Any tips and supporting criticism is appreciated, Oya!

These are pictures of my kit as it is right now, everything except for my helmet are 3D printed using PLA plastic, my helmet is the hasbro black series helmet. The pauldron and Kama are all custom made from shops I found on etsy.

Some things I am improving on are my shoulders, they have print lines so im am in the process of sanding them down to make them smooth, then re painting over them.

Things I am going to improve on that are my WIPs are: New flight suit, new vest & cummerbund, new gauntlets, possibly a new helmet, I have my eyes on a mynocks den helmet I really like, possibly new boots depending, a sash, a girth belt, new boot armor, crotch armor and a back plate.

For my flight suit, I am going to purchase a dickies black coveralls along with a dickies black button up, as they will match my original concept art, which is this:

I have already bought some more items to upgrade my kit, such as two blaster pistols and their holdsters, which help to improve my kit.

Again any recommendations and suggestions are appreciated!  :jango:

« Last Edit: Oct 13, 2021, 05:23 PM by Jaxson Drev » Logged
Re: Jaxson Drevs Armor and WIPs
« Reply #1 on: Oct 15, 2021, 05:46 PM »
Aside from stating that your paint job is pretty sweet, I'd point out that your shin plates look a bit wonky. They are kicking out over your instep plates. I think that trimming from the bottom will help. Cutting the top will change up the top profile and I don't think that would look right.

Jaxson Drev

« Reply #2 on: Oct 18, 2021, 02:15 PM »
Aside from stating that your paint job is pretty sweet, I'd point out that your shin plates look a bit wonky. They are kicking out over your instep plates. I think that trimming from the bottom will help. Cutting the top will change up the top profile and I don't think that would look right.
yeah I agree, its because I put my pants over my boots so its uneven there, im either considering getting new boots or just working something out in the long run, I have also gotten a new boot armor and ill re adjust that too, but those definitely are something I need to work on and ill keep what you said in mind

Jaxson Drev

« Reply #3 on: Oct 18, 2021, 02:27 PM »
WIP Update:

Hello Vode, I have some new update status.

In my first post I talked about a new flightsuit, that being the dickies black coveralls, and a black button up, these are the ones I will buy:

Current I have bought new hand guard armor, those being death watch airborne hand guards, I painted them red over thinking it be fine but looking at it more closely, I have decided to spray a layer of filler primer over them and sand it out to get those visible lines over and done with, it came with mini rockets but those look fine how they are, I will be finishing painting them silver chrome.

I am also now in the process of sanding down and smoothing my shoulder armor, ive applied a layer of bond spot putty to get the initial lines done, while after sanding those down using filler primer to get the lines and smooth it down more.

Those are my updates at the moments. Now I have a question that I would love to be answered. Is there a better way to apply stencils to my armor and get it more clean, where the other color doesn't go out of the stencils boundaries and into the red of the opposite color, and if it does, how do I better touch it up so that my touch ups aren't so visibly noticeable? whenever I apply my mythosaur stencil in gold it always ends up not being clean. can I better that with trying to get the stencil smoothed out making it flat and putting painters tape over it? or what else can I do. Ive ended up re doing my chest plate design three times over and it gets tedious so id love advice in that domain. Thank you Vode, Oya!

Tramp Graphics

• Illustrator
« Reply #4 on: Oct 18, 2021, 02:45 PM »
Yes, there is; you make an adhesive stencil/mask. If you have access to a computerized stencil cutter, you can cut stencils from a graphics program, such as Adobe Illustrator. If not, you can use a masking film, such as Frisket. Frisket is used by airbrush artists to mask off different sections of a piece of art. It has a relatively weak adhesive, to prevent the underlying paint (or paper) from being pulled up, and you cut it easily with an X-Acto knife to reveal the shapes you want to paint.

Jaxson Drev

« Reply #5 on: Oct 18, 2021, 02:48 PM »
Yes, there is; you make an adhesive stencil/mask. If you have access to a computerized stencil cutter, you can cut stencils from a graphics program, such as Adobe Illustrator. If not, you can use a masking film, such as Frisket. Frisket is used by airbrush artists to mask off different sections of a piece of art. It has a relatively weak adhesive, to prevent the underlying paint (or paper) from being pulled up, and you cut it easily with an X-Acto knife to reveal the shapes you want to paint.
interesting, I don't have a computerized stencil cutter but I will try the masking film, ill probably have to look through some more advice on how to do it properly, but thank you very much!

Tramp Graphics

• Illustrator
« Reply #6 on: Oct 18, 2021, 07:33 PM »
interesting, I don't have a computerized stencil cutter but I will try the masking film, ill probably have to look through some more advice on how to do it properly, but thank you very much!

If you want to use stencil film (available at Michael’s, and probably other craft stores) instead, here’s a video in how to cut and apply that as well:

Jaxson Drev

« Reply #7 on: Oct 23, 2021, 06:07 PM »
WIPs Update:

Hello Vode, I am back with another update, for todays update, I will be presenting to you some of the things I have been able to complete and accomplish.

First image, I presented my finished and painted hand armor, I think they came out pretty well and im proud of them.

Second image, is my utility belt, with my new blaster pistol holsters and my new WESTAR blaster pistols I got, they fit perfectly in my holsters.

Lastly are my shoulders which I had finished smoothing and painting, it was a bit rough to sand them down but they are really smooth and look beautiful again.

I got this all ready just in time for a costume competition at my high school that im excited for, and of course for halloween too.

Now I have a question, mostly for those who see this who are either mods or OMs, I noticed just now that my mythosaur stencil on my shoulders and chest are flipped, as in the crack in the skull is on the opposite sides, would this be a problem for trying to achieve OM status? I feel like it wouldn't be since its obviously a mythosaur skull just in a different way, but regardless would it have to be something I would need to change? Thank you all!

Tramp Graphics

• Illustrator
« Reply #8 on: Oct 23, 2021, 07:38 PM »
There’s nothing in the CRLs that would disqualify the kit because the mythosaur skull is flipped.

Jaxson Drev

« Reply #9 on: Oct 23, 2021, 09:08 PM »
There’s nothing in the CRLs that would disqualify the kit because the mythosaur skull is flipped.
okay I figured so but I just wanted to be sure, thanks!

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!