Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

I have a scheme! Redstar's armor redesign

• 12 Replies

REDSTAR

• You are who you choose to be.
I have a scheme! Redstar's armor redesign
« on: Mar 16, 2015, 01:50 PM »
Hey there! I'm Redstar, and here are my plans for my first Mando build! I'm not new to costuming though, if you would like to know more about me I have an introduction thread that has a lot of information about me and my background I suggest you take a look!
http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=89355.0
If you have any questions feel free to comment or send me a PM.

When I decided to join the Mando Mercs I knew that I wanted original armor. One thing that is a staple of my costumes is that I tend to put my own spin on it. I have designed my own halo armor. I made Titanfall armor that was white black and orange, even though it never appears that way in the game. For Halloween I made a red engineering suit from Dead Space, and again that’s not an available color for that armor. When I considered Mandalorian armor I immediately wanted to put my own unique twist on it and I knew a paint job alone would not be able to set me apart from my Mandalorian vode (brothers).

What I did was give the whole armor a redesign, top to bottom. I tried to add a little bit of realism to the armor design, or as it’s said in the movie Robocop “Make him more tactical”. I am very satisfied with my design and others also like what I have done. Neither I or my friend were confident that my designs would be approved but we were wrong. I did have to make one little change but the Mercs community has embraced my designs!

So, without further wait. I present my redesigned armor

HELMET

ARMOR OVERVIEW

CHEST PLATES

BACK PLATE

SHOULDER PLATES

GAUNTLETS

THIGH PLATES

KNEE PLATES

GRIEVES

One thing you’ve most likely noticed is that almost all of my armor plates have slit like holes in them. These are for straps to run through. I have concept drawings of how I would arrange them, connecting to and running beneath the armor plates. All of the little circles on the armor are planned locations for screws. For the screws on the body armor I was going to combine HEX flat head screws (see picture A) as well as silver washers to achieve a neat effect that was inspired by the game “Deus Ex” (see picture B)

(A)

(B)

CONCEPTUAL DRAWINGS

I posted the proposal for my designs up on the mandalorian Q & A forum and received a prompt reply from Ref Al'drann on the Mercs Approval team.

"So I think this guy's armor design would definitely work for Late Crusader as long as the diamond is removed"

I quickly conjoined the pectoral plates, adding a more crusader friendly diamond and sent a picture for his approval which was accepted.

[B variant]

But wait! There's more! My questions didn't stop there. I also had two gun designs to go along side my armor which I wasn't sure would fit within the Starwars universe so I wanted those to get approved as well. I created a large rifle and an SMG. The rifle is about 4 and a half feet long and takes a power pack in the back. In the little world in my head it’s an anti-armor rifle that has been modified to be used as a sniper; lighter, quieter, and more accurate. I was going to build this one first. I actually built the clip release mechanism out of Legos a few days ago. The SMG has a shield on top that flips up to eject an energy cartridge. This one is very complex with almost 10 parts, 5 of which move. Plus I would like it to have a twin. To make it will require a lot of time and I would have to mold each piece so as to have two identical twins. I’ll probably make it after I get accepted.

And once again I was not disappointed by the amount of flexibility I'm allowed here with the Mandalorian Mercs.

One thing that Ref Al'drann asked me to do is, if I'm going to be using screws, weather them to match my armor. It was assumed that I would. My plan is to have the entire armor a gloss black all over and rather spotless. Void of scratches, scrapes, and damage. I will of course put a large red star on the helmet. One thing that I also would like to do is put little warnings and other labels in small Mando'a print on the armor. Similar to what is seen in Metal gear and Gundam. The only thing I don't have a proper design for is the vest the armor will be mounted to, this will come shortly. Any questions, comments, or concerns are welcome. Thanks for reading!

I have named the armor "Beskviin" Armor. or  Iron lance

« Last Edit: Mar 19, 2015, 12:20 AM by REDSTAR » Logged

Gel'ren Drask

• Awards Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 75 official invasions. Celebration Orlando 2017 Award for 50 official invasions. Award for 25 official invasions.
Re: I have a scheme! Redstar's armor redesign
« Reply #1 on: Mar 16, 2015, 02:43 PM »
Go big or go home?  This look incredibly ambitious.   That being said, it looks like it will be awesome.   I look forward to seeing this progress.

Gel'ren "Mercelangelo" Drask Firestorm Clan
E.M.T.S #40
B.E.A.R.D.S #23

Cin Vhe'rang

• No Kill Like Overkill
  • Awards Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 25 official invasions. Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #2 on: Mar 16, 2015, 03:22 PM »
One heck of a busy design.  I like it!  Looks like a futuristic take on the classic beskar'gam.  Build it, and impress the heck out of me!  :D

Briks

• War Wolf
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #3 on: Mar 16, 2015, 03:54 PM »
That helmet...Ah mah gudness.  :o

MMCC Member: # 1195

When I'm finished...You're gonna be glad no one was here to watch you DIE.

My Original Armor  http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=85524.0

Merric Dar'veyn

• D.A.S. #4 - Q.M.U. #45
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #4 on: Mar 16, 2015, 05:01 PM »
I love this design so much. It looks like Dead Space, Titanfall and Mando culture had a super bada$$ baby. Ambitious as heck, but it looks like you're going to be able to do this insane design justice!

REDSTAR

« Reply #5 on: Mar 18, 2015, 06:07 PM »
Thank you fella's for the great support! I will not disappoint! I have drawn out what I'll do for my vest. This is the last of the concept drawings I'll make for my armor.

I hope you like it!

myriot

• Awards 11+ Invasion Report Appearances 15+ invasions in 2018 Order of the Ori'Ramikad Award for 50 official invasions. 40+ hrs Charity
« Reply #6 on: Mar 18, 2015, 07:49 PM »
The concept looks very cool. Lots of pieces can't wait to start seeing pics of the real armor.  :)

*Kebii'tra Kematr'kipa*
CAT# 1069  Vhe'rang Clan NM/West Texas SC
Vhe'rang Clan Alor'ad 2015-2022
Education Team 2018-2022
Supply Team 2018-2022
App Team 2018-2022
Public Realtions XO 2018-2021
Order of Ori'Ramikad 2018
Rally Master 2022
G.O.M.O.L # 037 Mandalorian Cavalry #10 M.A.R.S.

REDSTAR

« Reply #7 on: Mar 18, 2015, 11:50 PM »
You all can start seeing it now! I've started my helmet progress! check it out here>>
http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=89620.msg1319639#msg1319639

mobcake

• "We Mando boys like to show we've been in action"
« Reply #8 on: Mar 19, 2015, 11:24 AM »
This is amazing. Can't wait to see it come to life!

Jorad Werde

• Death from where ever you pay me to be
  • Awards Award for 100 official invasions. Celebration Chicago Order of the Ori'Ramikad 40+ hrs Charity 267th Rapid Assault
« Reply #9 on: Mar 19, 2015, 01:00 PM »
Watching with interest. We should discuss the screws idea

CAO Team XO
Ori'Ramikad
Kilted Mando #20
Mandoalic #132
VRCA #61

Kurshi BeJahaal

• I don't roll on Shabbos. ב"ה
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Special Operations Brigade Member 40+ hrs of Charity Work Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #10 on: Mar 19, 2015, 10:21 PM »
Ho-lee smokes... This looks insane. I'm anxious to see this come together.

MMCC #1484¦¦50 Career Invasions¦¦Rancor Clan 
B.E.A.R.D.S #97 ¦ M.A.R.S. #21
Helmet Scratch Build||Beskar||Privateer||Protector

joshsurf

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 40+ hrs Charity 40+ hrs of charity work recorded Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2015, 03:23 PM »
Love the deus ex influence! Your work is blowing my mind

ey guys heres my build thread over on the main forum:
http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=104238.0
helmet:
http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=96369.0
sniper rifle:
http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=85582.0
go and have a look! let me know what you think!!
Modify message

dngrmonkey

• New guy just trying to figure out what i want
« Reply #12 on: Oct 20, 2021, 12:17 AM »
did you ever make any progress on this design?

There's no such thing as too much firepower.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!