Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Two different fabrics for flak vest

• 6 Replies

treisedova

• Sandblaster
Two different fabrics for flak vest
« on: Oct 18, 2021, 12:35 AM »
Hey, vode. Looking for clarification on the color block rule for flak vests (PI/Modern). I know different colors (no print) are allowed, but are different fabrics ok, too? I've got a pattern that calls for two different kinds of fabric. I'm planning on this faux leather for one fabric, not sure about the other one yet. Thanks in advance!

{Treise Dova}

Equip, Encourage, Enlighten

Tramp Graphics

• Illustrator
Re: Two different fabrics for flak vest
« Reply #1 on: Oct 18, 2021, 12:40 AM »
Yes, that is perfectly allowed. My vest has more to than three different materials used in its construction.

« Reply #2 on: Oct 18, 2021, 11:23 AM »
Treise - Tramp's got you covered.  There's Canon examples, approved kits, etc that use multiple fabrics.
Think optimum value engineering - putting the right materials in the right places, to do the right job.
Some other posts that can hopefully help:
  A question much like yours answered in the Q&A area.

And a Post-imp kit that might be relevant to your interests.
Flo Brin's WIP

Happy building!

Wolfin Sylvermane

• We are only Immortal for a limited time.
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #3 on: Oct 18, 2021, 12:07 PM »
Yup, you're good.  Just make sure the fabric is sturdy enough to hold the weight of the plates.  Here's the quote from the CRL's

Vest fabric must be thick enough to support armor plates without sagging, creasing, or wrinkling and be constructed from quality fabric. Suggested materials include cotton or cotton twill, nylon, duck cloth, leather/imitation leather, or quilted fabric. Stretch materials may only be used if they are form fitting and reinforced enough to support the armor plates without sagging

treisedova

• Sandblaster
« Reply #4 on: Oct 18, 2021, 10:27 PM »
Thanks, everyone! Second Son, those links—esp Flo Brin’ s build—were great. Got a new bookmark out of it. :like:

Thanks for the materials reminder, Wolfin. The faux leather is mostly for the sides of the vest, as it has a little bit of give for comfort. Main sections will probably be a thicker, quilted-type faux leather I’m eyeing. Entire vest will also be reinforced with lining. Hopefully that will be sturdy enough!

Thanks again, everyone—looking forward to beginning my WIP thread!

{Treise Dova}

Equip, Encourage, Enlighten
« Reply #5 on: Oct 19, 2021, 10:25 AM »
Happy to help, vod.
Looking forward to seeing your WIP thread!

Wolfin Sylvermane

• We are only Immortal for a limited time.
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #6 on: Oct 20, 2021, 08:59 AM »
Any time!   :like:

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!